• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling removal?

D

deano85

Evening all, ill start at the beginning.
Couple of weeks back i went for a check up (im getting good at that part now)
In honesty i was a little more motivated, as i was experiencing a little sensitivity in a tooth (second from back at bottom)
Again, to be honest i was probably playing it down a little when i used the word sensitive.
He checked it out, tested it with water and a cold test, and did an x-ray.
Said there was a small dark patch under the filling, but not worth 'opening up'
Im now thinking sensitivity isnt the problem (what is it, does it just refere to hot or cold?)
Basicly, what its doing is, most of the time nothing.... When i bite down, its fine... Its when i take presure off when chewing (the suction maybe)
Weirdly it does the same to the tooth next to it coming forward sometimes, but then when it does the orig tooth is temp fine...

Could it be the gum?

Anyway, if i go back, and he wants to remove the filling, whats involved?
I googled filling removal and sounds like a big deal?

TThanks for any reassurance
Dean

Filling removal is the same process as doing a filling in the first place, I'm not sure what you think is different about it? If there's a shadow under the filling and you're having symptoms then it would be logical to replace the filling.

No idea on replacing fillings but for the other tooth hurting if is any condolence when one of my teeth is playing up it tends to trigger the others around it even if there isn't anything particularly wrong with them, lot of nerves involved and weird feelings can occur. I'm certainly no dentist (far from it) but that is my own experience, it doesn't really mean anything is wrong with others, may not be.

edit: sorry didn't realilze I was posting in specific ask a dentist area (I'm not one).

edit: sorry didn't realilze I was posting in specific ask a dentist area (I'm not one).

You're very welcome to mingle and add your experiences here :)!

The dentists who answer on this board can be identified by the green "Verified dentist" badges in the user profile field next to each post (or above the post, if you're on a mobile device)

Hi, didnt realise this post had been moved, thought it had been deleted.
Because the dentist didnt seem keen on removing the filling, i assumed there must be more too it, googled 'filling removal' and read... Im guessing i stumbled on companies that make a profit from scaring people into removing there old silver fillings and replacing them.

I think i was also hoping someone was going to tell me it could be a gum problem that will be sorted with a few tablets...
The tooth still doesn't hurt at alll unless im biting on it, gum looks a little red now...
Im told there was a shadow but nothing to worry about snd should just try sencedine toothpaste snd monitor it.

Its a weird feeling

Cheers for your answers

Yes, that's always the issue with google, you find out things you maybe didn't want to find out :) If it's painful to bite on you really need it looked at again, sensodyne won't help.

Last time I went to the dentist I mentioned I would start googling when he didn't get back to me.. lol his face was priceless.. just what a dentist wants to hear.. o_O o_O

Back