• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling Scratch??

D

dare2love81

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping you can help. After several bad panic attacks during “normal” dental procedures, I’ve become a bit obsessive over checking my teeth. Recently I noticed what appears to be a super tiny crack that runs horizontally, edge to edge, across a filling on my back lower molar. I’ve had the dentist look at it twice now and both times he told me it’s just a scratch on the filling.

Is this a possibility? I didn’t think it was possible to scratch a filling. For reference, it’s a silver filling that’s roughly 6ish years old. I should probably trust the dentist, but of course my fear is taking over that it’s a crack and that if I don’t get it fixed it’ll turn into needing a root canal and crown. Not that I particularly want to sit for the filling to be replaced either, but my anxiety over this is making me crazy.

Appreciate any insight you all may have.

Thanks,
Nicole

It's quite possible to make a mark on an amalgam filling, so your dentist is right. If it bugs you that much ask your dentist to polish it out for you.

Thank you so much. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

I was just so nervous because I tried to google “scratched filling” and wasn’t able to find ANYTHING, so naturally my anxiety went into overdrive.

Thanks again!

Back