• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling tomorrow (10 May). I have some questions!

O

oidara

Hello. I am 46 years old and my bottom wisdom teeth are partially erupted. They have both recently developed what we think is a small amount of decay on the occlusal surfaces, so my dentist has agreed to try a restoration rather than extraction at this point. I am a very nervous patient and am due to have the first filling tomorrow.

My questions:
1. Is amalgam the only option here? I know composite is a no-no, but would glass ionimer be possible or is that just signing me up for a repeat filling in 1-2 years?

2. Would it be reasonable to ask to try this without a local anaesthetic? I am not afraid of the needle but I am afraid of both an adrenaline rush from the contents (happened to me once before) and also of swallowing some of the numbing gel or anaesthetic and making my throat go numb. If an anaesthetic is a must, how can we minimise the risk of these issues? Would using numbing gel alone be an option?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• CAM.3.jpg
    CAM.3.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CAM.jpg
    CAM.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 7
  • panoral_202304.jpg
    panoral_202304.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 7
Is amalgam the only option here? I know composite is a no-no, but would glass ionimer be possible or is that just signing me up for a repeat filling in 1-2 years?
Personally I would prefer amalgam, glass ionomer would wear out pretty fast, yes, you'd be looking at ongoing repeat work most likely.

2. Would it be reasonable to ask to try this without a local anaesthetic? I am not afraid of the needle but I am afraid of both an adrenaline rush from the contents (happened to me once before) and also of swallowing some of the numbing gel or anaesthetic and making my throat go numb. If an anaesthetic is a must, how can we minimise the risk of these issues? Would using numbing gel alone be an option?
Sure, how much pain/discomfort are you willing to put up with? Serious question.
Adrenaline rush isn't likely with careful technique or how about using local without adrenaline in it :)
Numbing gel isn't compulsory either.

Thank you very much.
My original dentist said she is willing to try composite and switch the glass ionomer if it's too moist as the teeth are not used for chewing so it should last. Does this seem reasonable?

Sure, moisture control is absolutely critical for composites. Not quite so much as with GI.

Sorry, what I meant was, does it seem reasonable to attempt composite here, or is it doomed to failure?

It all depends on how well the dentist/assistant can keep saliva away. I can't tell that from here :)

Okay, Gordon. Thank you very much!

Back