• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Filling too high?- jaw pain and anxiety for months, please help

O

onibasu

Long story short, I had two fillings "topped up" in my back molars that had developed fairly deep grooves in them. Turns out, they were supposed to be like that and I never once had a bite issue in my life. Since minutes after having them done, I've been dealing with a nightmare for the last 3 months. I even got a second opinion and that did not help at all either. My bite just feels like the fillings are too high. When I clench my jaw on my left side, theres a noticeable contact that was never there before. I had the fillings adjusted 3 times and still, I feel they are too high, even though the dentist says the blue bite paper is not showing an issue.

It has caused me to develop significant jaw tension/pain and has given me a lot of anxiety and depression. I don't trust dentists as is, and even the second opinion dentist has told me that I have bruxism and need a night guard, that is the problem. But I never once had a single issue with any of this prior to having those fillings "topped up".

Anyways, I am about an hour away from Comfortdentist and I am tempted to drive down and see him. I get severe anxiety in dentists offices and I feel as if they are not taking me seriously and trying to rectify the issue, rather they are just trying to sell me more stuff.

Please, any input would be appreciated. I actually ordered some articulating paper myself to check this out since I swear I can feel the exact spot where the filling is too high. Also, the filling looks noticeably higher than it did prior to me having any issues, so I am almost certain that is what is going on. Thanks.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

not a dentist and don't know what is wrong with your fillings, but keeping on having it adjusted and going for second opinions and then still having issues sounds awful. I also believe trust is the most important ingredient when it comes to treatment so if there is any dentist out there you feel might be the right one for you and able to help, then you should go for it.

All the best wishes and hope you can get help soon

O

onibasu

I will try and get down there after this storm passes.

So I used the articulating paper today. Sure enough, no blue on the filling where I am 100% sure it is too high. Fairly strange. I know for a fact it is too high because I can visually see the filling is higher than it was prior to being topped up, and then adjusted a few times, and I can feel it when I clench my teeth right in that spot. There was quite a bit of blue on the surface of the opposing tooth. Quite strange. I presume this is why the dentist says it doesn't need adjusting, but I can feel it being too high. For what its worth they felt too high from the second they were put in, and the dentist acknowledged it twice and apologized and said they were indeed too high. I could barely close my mouth when they first put them in and adjusted them, they were so absurdly high.

I believe what happened was the dentist was embarassed that she messed up my bite and that the teeth didn't actually need to have $500 in work done to them for no reason, so instead of just admitting it and grinding the fillings back down to the "caved in" look they had prior, she just kept leaving it too high otherwise she would have had to basically admit she messed up and sold me unnecessary dental work.

Anyways, looking forward to getting this resolved. Lesson has been learned, and my severe distrust of dentists has now only gotten more pronounced. Thanks for the replies thus far.