• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings and feelings

M

mrcouperin

Since I discovered that some of my front teeth will need crowns, I've been going through what I can only describe as a grieving process.

My initial reaction was one of bewilderment. It shocked me to my core to think that my teeth were beginning to wither away. They were never hollywood-white, and the two central incisors have always been slightly overlapped, but I still loved them. And, up until the point that I began my seven-year-long addiction to Diet Coke, they were healthy.

These feelings quickly progressed to ones of anger: mostly with myself. How could I have been so utterly stupid as to think it was alright to put nearly two litres of carbonic and citric acid into my mouth every day?

This gave way to desperate fantasies of going back in time and warning myself, or perhaps starting from the beginning again. Having another go at losing all the weight I lost (which was nearly ten stone/60kg), without having to resort to Diet Coke to quench my craving for sweetness.

And finally, since Monday, I've been in one of the lowest moods I've had since I overcame clinical depression last year, as well as having random panic attacks. I just hope I can move past all of this...

Has anyone else gone through this cycle of emotions over their teeth? Or is this another one of my melodramatic episodes? :)

Hello,

I can sympathise re your depression, I had bouts of it years ago and think it was probably because of my teeth though I didn't realise it at the time. I felt like there was no way past getting them sorted.

All I can suggest is cutting out the fizzy drinks or cutting right back if you haven't done so already? Try and move on with a promise to yourself you'll really look after them from now on and have your crowns fitted as soon as possible.
You'll feel so much better once you have the treatment.

All I can suggest is cutting out the fizzy drinks or cutting right back if you haven't done so already? Try and move on with a promise to yourself you'll really look after them from now on and have your crowns fitted as soon as possible.
You'll feel so much better once you have the treatment.
Absolutely! When I discovered how acidic these things are, I cut them out completely. I just can't believe I didn't know how much acid fizzy drinks (and diet ones in particular) contain.

I guess I'm lucky I only need two or three of them, rather than six or more. ;D

Back