• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

fillings and the numbing shots!

K

kookiesenpai

I attended the dentist today and was told that i would need 3 fillings in the bottom and 1 in the top, which i thought wouldn't be much. However a little while ago i started researching about what happens when they add it in and i saw that they would put in numbing shots (i have the biggest ever fear for shots:cry::cry::cry:.) Plus i saw that they would drill my teeth??

Any tips for the pain or how to stay calm ? because im going to have my fillings done in around a week.
Meanwhile would i need to listen or answer the dentist at all during the filling process? because i want to just listen to music and get through the pain and fear.

Lastly im sorry for the many questions its just that i haven't attended the dentist in a while and its one of my first times to have something done to my teeth.:shame::shame::shame:

I attended the dentist today and was told that i would need 3 fillings in the bottom and 1 in the top, which i thought wouldn't be much. However a little while ago i started researching about what happens when they add it in and i saw that they would put in numbing shots (i have the biggest ever fear for shots:cry::cry::cry:.) Plus i saw that they would drill my teeth??

Any tips for the pain or how to stay calm ? because im going to have my fillings done in around a week.
Meanwhile would i need to listen or answer the dentist at all during the filling process? because i want to just listen to music and get through the pain and fear.

Lastly im sorry for the many questions its just that i haven't attended the dentist in a while and its one of my first times to have something done to my teeth.:shame::shame::shame:

Hi, I've gotten about 5 fillings, well we can make it 6 now since I literally just got another filling done this morning. They numbed me up for all of them.

I also had to get numbed up before for other work. Point being is I know what its like.

To be blunt and straight to the point, numbing shots do hurt a little bit, but they're over with quick and they're not bad at all. I'm a huge wuss when it comes to pain, and even I didn't wince or cringe or anything of the sort when they were putting in the numbing shots.

They told me "you'll feel a pinch" and that's basically what it felt like, a little bit of a painful pinch, but nothing unbearable or excruciating. It was simply uncomfortable, a little painful, but nothing bad and it was over with pretty quickly. A cat scratch is more painful than a numbing shot.

Once they numb you up, you're numb. You won't feel any pain. You may still feel some non-painful sensations, for example your tooth may feel a little cold until they put the filling on. And you might feel vibration due to drilling. But no pain.

As for the drilling, they typically do have to drill for fillings but they're not going to be drilling away your whole tooth or something. They're just clearing away any decay caused by the cavities and filling it in with the fillings. The drilling will be entirely painless since you'll be numb and the drill they use is a small compact dental drill, not some massive thing you'd see in a hardware store.

The dentist will probably not need to interact with you much, if at all during the filling process. It's a straight forward procedure so they'll probably allow you to listen to music, and if they do need anything from you they can just nudge you to get your attention

As for what they do, I'm no expert on the matter, but as far as I know they just numb you up, drill away any tooth decay caused by cavities, and then apply the filling. It's a very standard dental procedure and is painless.

My advice on how to handle your fear is to keep in mind the numbing shots aren't that bad at all, and once your numb, you'll be completely pain-free. Focusing on your music or anything other than what they're doing can also help ease some anxiety.

Take it from the guy who's been through it before; its not bad at all. It really isn't. I literally just got another filling this morning and it was easy stuff.

Back