• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings Too short/Horrible dentist

2198Lindsey

Forgive me because this is probably going to be a little lengthy due to a serious need for a back story.
So I am 17 and am on my mother's medicaid. I'm a senior in high school and the last time that I had any dental attention was 2nd grade.
So I started having some pains in my molars and sensitivity to temperature and decided that I wanted to go to the dentist before I turn 18 and get booted off of medicaid. I asked my mom to make an appointment and she had this huge list to choose from, all the dentists a few cities over. So she chooses one and I went this Monday. Now, upon arriving I should have turned around and left. The waiting room was dirty and the place is just a hole in the wall. They call me back without me even filling out all of the paperwork and sit me down. They don't tell me what they're doing at all they just lay me back and start shoving stuff in my mouth and taking what I later found out were x-rays. A few minutes later, the dentist comes in, tells me that I have cavities and makes my next appointment. This all seems ridiculously rushed to me so I tried to ask questions. I was like "Okay, so how many?" And she said "like all of your back bottom molars, so like 8."
I was still not shown any x-rays. And I shouldn't have come back after that. But I did yesterday. So the same rushing as last time and this time I tried to ask her which side we were going to do first because she wanted to do them a side at a time and she tells me "The ones we talked about yesterday."
We never talked about any yesterday. So she leans me back again and starts numbing my mouth. I was so freaked out because I wasn't even explained anything to. So she starts drilling on my top teeth and I was freaking out because I thought she said only the bottom ones and she yelled at me. So I was crying through this whole thing just devastated. Everything goes over and literally as soon as she was done she sits me up and tells me to not forget my appointment next week for my other side.
Long story short, my fillings are too short. My bite was absolutely perfect when we started and since all of this, my left molars don't touch, so when I close my teeth, my front 2 bottom teeth just keep going until they touch the top of my mouth. This has thoroughly freaked me out and I don't know where to go from here.

I have read that composite fillings are easy to just essentially "top off" so I think I'm going to call first thing in the morning and make an emergency appointment with them because this is even causing my jaw to hurt. Can I wait until next Wednesday to get them fixed or should I make them fix them tomorrow? Do I have any rights for them to fix them? Should I just try another dentist? I'm really scared that this damage is irreversible and I really just need some answers.
Thanks so much for reading, Lindsey.

not a big rush
it is possible for that dentist to add composite it needs to be reetched, dryed well use a bonding agent.
Another dentist won't "add" to a defective composite. Or at least I won't because if it is that bad what else is bad.
Unfortunately your problem is widespread.

At the end did they have you bite on some paper or ask how they feel?. How long was the visit? My dentist has been doing one tooth per visit. Sometimes it's just one filling and other times a tooth might need a few spots done. We end up using the entire hour long slot each time. Looking back I am glad I didn't ask to do as many as possible to get it over with but since you're 17 maybe the fillings are a lot easier to the point of doing multiple teeth is completely doable without sacrificing quality. I guess having 2 done should be more then ok and not be rushed. Either way I am always asked to bite on the paper and if both sides feel normal and hit at the same time. If not adjustments are made.

If they can't keep the carpets clean what about disinfecting the tools they put in you're mouth. Just a thought.

How many fillings (teeth) do other people get done per visit? I'm really curious now.

Last edited:
I've had as many as 4 teeth filled in one visit. I think that took a little over an hour. They all seem very well done. I think it may depend on the skill and experience of the dentist in terms of time and quality.

How many fillings (teeth) do other people get done per visit? I'm really curious now.

I just finished the process of getting a bunch of fillings done. They were split up into quadrants (for the most part) and we did 5, 4, 3 then 1. All of my appointments have averaged around 2 hours - although one of them ran close to 3 hours (that was when we did a filling on a chipped front tooth, and my dentist spent quite a bit of time with me to make sure it looked perfect and I was happy with it). Even the appointments where we did fewer fillings ended up taking close to two hours, but that was partially due to the fact that I was having trouble getting numb on the bottom.

I guess there are factors that can determine how long it can take - the smaller, shallower cavities were really quick, but I had bigger ones that needed banding and such to build back up and took a lot longer. My dentist does take his time with them though, and we do spend a bit of time making sure the bite is perfect. All my fillings look and feel great, no problems.

At the end did they have you bite on some paper or ask how they feel?. How long was the visit? My dentist has been doing one tooth per visit. Sometimes it's just one filling and other times a tooth might need a few spots done. We end up using the entire hour long slot each time. Looking back I am glad I didn't ask to do as many as possible to get it over with but since you're 17 maybe the fillings are a lot easier to the point of doing multiple teeth is completely doable without sacrificing quality. I guess having 2 done should be more then ok and not be rushed. Either way I am always asked to bite on the paper and if both sides feel normal and hit at the same time. If not adjustments are made.

If they can't keep the carpets clean what about disinfecting the tools they put in you're mouth. Just a thought.

Generally what ever area is numb I will treat the needs of that area or side and adjust my time as needed. The big exception is when I sedate someone then I try and do as much as possible which may entail treating 8-12 or more teeth at one 3 hour appointment.

Generally what ever area is numb I will treat the needs of that area or side and adjust my time as needed. The big exception is when I sedate someone then I try and do as much as possible which may entail treating 8-12 or more teeth at one 3 hour appointment.

You must try some other dentist. For this you have to asked from your friends. Before visiting there you can also go through online and have thorough knowledge about their qualification and practical experience.

Back