• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Final filling tomorrow!!! Eeeek. My story and advice

C

Courtenay

So here it stands dfc. I have been reading posts here for about 3 years, and posting for about 3 months, finally joining when I bit the bullet and made my consult after 10 years. I've done the consult. And I've done about 6 appointments since early January. I've survived 3 extractions of infected/broken molars, one root canal, a handful of fillings, as well as a front tooth restoration to fix a tooth that has been bothering me since I had braces as a TEENAGER. Tomorrow is my final filling. No my journey isn't over, but tomorrow afternoon my mouth will be healthy and without issue. I am so excited. I no longer dread the dentist. No longer panic and can't breathe, actually look forward to seeing my dentist and her assistant! I read on here that you'll never leave the chair worse off. For me this was so true. The fear was way beyond the reality and not only have I faced that fear, I kicked it's ass and am well on my way to having a killer smile. My advice is to find a way to take control of your fear - sedation, a happy place, a hand to hold etc. But find a way and kick it's ass. Because when you get close to coming our the other side, it's amazing. And looking back none of it compared to the what if.

So here it stands dfc. I have been reading posts here for about 3 years, and posting for about 3 months, finally joining when I bit the bullet and made my consult after 10 years. I've done the consult. And I've done about 6 appointments since early January. I've survived 3 extractions of infected/broken molars, one root canal, a handful of fillings, as well as a front tooth restoration to fix a tooth that has been bothering me since I had braces as a TEENAGER. Tomorrow is my final filling. No my journey isn't over, but tomorrow afternoon my mouth will be healthy and without issue. I am so excited. I no longer dread the dentist. No longer panic and can't breathe, actually look forward to seeing my dentist and her assistant! I read on here that you'll never leave the chair worse off. For me this was so true. The fear was way beyond the reality and not only have I faced that fear, I kicked it's ass and am well on my way to having a killer smile. My advice is to find a way to take control of your fear - sedation, a happy place, a hand to hold etc. But find a way and kick it's ass. Because when you get close to coming our the other side, it's amazing. And looking back none of it compared to the what if.

Keep us updated Courtenay! Thanks so much for you motivating words and great job moving forward!

Congratulations on coming so far, Courtenay! You're words are so motivating and encouraging! I love what you said about never leaving the chair worse off. I've never thought about it that way. I want to remember that next time my anxiety kicks in right before an appointment!

I think everything you're talking about is speaking to me because I'm reading it only a few hours after coming back from an orthodontist appt that went surprisingly well. I was having an issue with my Invisalign, so had to schedule an emergency appt (my goodness how I HATE when something unexpected comes up in the dental realm!), and prior to the appt I had my usual *pounding-heart/stomach-in-knots/imagining-the-worst* experience, but it ended up going so much better than I thought! It's like having good dental experiences are forcing me to take a good hard look at what exactly I'm so scared of. Which I guess is kind of what you're talking about as well. Thank you for sharing your story and best of luck with your filling tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do great!

I did it! I can happily say.I currently have 0 cavaties, 0 broken teeth, 0 glue marks left over from braces, 0 toothaches and most importantly 1 huge smile! Next step is deciding on implant vs bridge to fill a gap. I am leaning towards implant but waiting to see cost comparisons as well.

I did it! I can happily say.I currently have 0 cavaties, 0 broken teeth, 0 glue marks left over from braces, 0 toothaches and most importantly 1 huge smile! Next step is deciding on implant vs bridge to fill a gap. I am leaning towards implant but waiting to see cost comparisons as well.

Congrats! I start my journey Tuesday! You've given me so much motivation. I just need to get there now.

Congrats! I start my journey Tuesday! You've given me so much motivation. I just need to get there now.

Ahh good.luck. I know it's terrifying but believe me when it's all done you will be so happy. I honestly never thought I'd be able to say I have no cavities.

Congrats! That is so wonderful!

Congratulations an inspiration for dental phobics everywhere if you can do it, I can do it we all can.

Well now I have a cleaning tomorrow which is super anxiety provoking because I have to meet someone new who I have never met before. Many of my issues over time have not just been with past dentists but with past hygienists as well. I hope she is nice...

Well now I have a cleaning tomorrow which is super anxiety provoking because I have to meet someone new who I have never met before. Many of my issues over time have not just been with past dentists but with past hygienists as well. I hope she is nice...

I'm in the same boat, my first appointment of my journey is tomorrow! Sending you warm thoughts.

Wow. Congratulations on everything! I have some questions though...How are you no longer afraid? How did you get to that point? I guess each person has dental anxiety and phobia for different reasons. Some don't like losing control, some are embarrassed to show their teeth, some (like me) feel like they can't breathe or have control during an appointment. How do you get over that?

Back