• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Final/Permanent bridge about to go in.

H

HankMoody

Hi guys. First post. I read the stickys so I "think" this post would go here. Apologies if it doesnt and please let me know.
Apologies for the long winded novel and any feed back is appreciated please.
Here we go:

I have my top front Left tooth and top front right K9 crowned for support of my bridge.
The bridge replaces my Right front tooth and the tooth inbetween that one and the k9 (Im not sure what it is called sorry).
I have had my temporary bridge now for about 3 months.
I had it removed last week and my final bridge put in (6 days ago).
It isn't bonded permanently yet but it is the final piece. It is being permanently bonded tomorrow.
While it does feel much better I do have questions and some pretty big concerns and fears I am worried about. I am hoping this will ease my mind.

I was told my speech would go back to how it was before I had my teeth removed. The dentist said it would take a day or two with my final piece in. It hasn't correct yet. I have a serious lisp and it doesn't seem to be going away.
The back of my bridge (where my tongue rubs when speaking with 'S' words) seems to be too far back in my mouth and doesn't provide enough room for my tongue to properly speak. i say things like "thnake" instead of "snake" or "thervice" instead of "service"

I also have holes that allow air to pass in between the gums and my bridge (replacement teeth). The dentist told me it would be air tight. It was when he first put it in 6 days ago but now everything is opening back up just like it did with the temp.

While the bridge LOOKS great. I would rather be able to have my speech back and not have saliva oozing out from between my gums and replacement teeth.

The reason I have only temp bond in right now with my final piece s because when I had it put in 6 days ago it immediately felt off (in terms of speaking with 'S' words). While the final piece felt more natural than the temps it was still off.

My dentist also tells me that once my finals are permanently installed I can eat normally again as if they were my real teeth. He also says they will not change colour, stain or become whiter.

So my questions are:

will my speech eventually go back to normal? Even though my tongue is being pushed back?
Can the finals be adjusted or shaved down after being permanently installed? Possibly to allow more room for my tongue to fully extend when speaking with an 'S' sound?
Will the holes close back up or stay closed once the final (bonding) has been installed?
Will I be able to eat normally again as if they were my real teeth (for example bit into an apple)?
Will they actually STAY the same colour and not become whiter or more stained?

My final piece is made of porcelain btw people. Ty in advance.

Last edited:
Back