• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

FINALLY back, but some concerns I have.

thedogdemon

thedogdemon

My dentist said they're getting my insurances authorization to do the deep cleaning, then check for cavities afterwards and all that stuff. I just am glad to have some kinda dental insurance now. No tooth pain or anything, dentist didn't even mention anything the other dentists have in the past.

The good news is they did say they do laughing gas and/or oral sedation I am just more afraid of being called out for being scared, nervous, or whatever than anything. The moment that happens is the moment I will not return to that practice and review bomb them.

like I said to a few close friends and family my first time as a kid wasn't a bad experience but they showed care and compassion for it. I just remember crying really bad. My only concern is cause i am an adult, they'll judge or treat me differently for being afraid, scared, or nervous towards drills and needles.

What can I do about this?

Thedogdemon,

Good job for getting on this and starting the process! and so glad you now have insurance to help! I so get the fearing them ridiculing or being mean or short for being nervous. I hope they will treat you kindly , have they been good in other things? exams? how is the chairside manner?

I had an encouraging experience last week I met a lady she was a hygienist at a clinic for nervous patients I was asking her about it. Their whole vision and practice was built on no blaming, no lecture, no scolding and to bring in patients who had been long time absent due to fear or this very thing. I was so touched talking to her. Its just beautiful to see many dentists don't want to make you feel bad at all and just want to show you dental work can be pain and shame free and get you better. I know my dentist is the same too, he never makes me feel bad about being nervous, and is so reassuring both him and the assistant . I really hope yours is too!

I was really nervous about them not understanding my fear as well. My endodontist actually told me she thought I was brave for facing my fears, not a coward at all. That was good to hear.

Now that I have calmed a bit, I kinda have a weird red flag... He did look at all sides of the mouth, but it sure didn't seem for long. He didn't seem mean, grumpy, or angry. He was nice and patient as I heard him speak to another patient in a room across from me. He explained everything to that patient calmly and professionally.

But he stated what all dentists said -- deep cleaning needed! think he said they check for cavities, loose teeth, etc after my cleaning is done. I am not afraid of the dentist himself or any of his staff but the drill and/or needle part I am really dreading if we need any cavities filled or teeth pulled. :( I asked the dentist office, and front office lady said that laughing gas is ok with insurance, she didn't know bout oral sedation. (it is since i have pharmacy insurance too) Maybe if I do need anything like that performed, will for sure consider it.

Hi,

You are invited to watch my video about fear of being embarrassment in a dental set-up.

All the best

Hi,

You are invited to watch my video about fear of being embarrassment in a dental set-up.

All the best
Thanks for that link. I'd say my very very last time was when they lectured/hammered into me about not brushing/flossing. It didn't make me like scared or anything, I felt super judged and close to wanting to snap back.

UPDATE

I was ill the past week or two. I went today for what I THOUGHT WAS GONNA BE a deep cleaning..buuut nope....

I was in today and the dentist said that I needed a tooth pulled. (the same one I shared about before) I was in last time, and some other dentist said a deep cleaning. nooot sure how or why that changed... I am very very weary and said I'd think about it.

I am either gonna find a new dentist or something...

EDIT: My experience with this was the hygenist would say I need a deep clean, then the dentist would say yeah I agree and he needs this tooth/teeth pulled after.

UPDATE

I was ill the past week or two. I went today for what I THOUGHT WAS GONNA BE a deep cleaning..buuut nope....

I was in today and the dentist said that I needed a tooth pulled. (the same one I shared about before) I was in last time, and some other dentist said a deep cleaning. nooot sure how or why that changed... I am very very weary and said I'd think about it.

I am either gonna find a new dentist or something...

EDIT: My experience with this was the hygenist would say I need a deep clean, then the dentist would say yeah I agree and he needs this tooth/teeth pulled after.
If Your uncomfortable with Your current dentist then I'd get a second opinion as to whether it needs to be pulled. I left My dentist because not only was She rude but I did not agree with Her treatment plan. I hope it goes well for You.

I might be a bit confused and also want to think about that and get a second opinion. Good for you for not just doing it.

If Your uncomfortable with Your current dentist then I'd get a second opinion as to whether it needs to be pulled. I left My dentist because not only was She rude but I did not agree with Her treatment plan. I hope it goes well for You.
I've gotten second opinions on that over the past few years, and all three dentists have said deep cleaning for sure but different things when came to the tooth/teeth.

one dentist said a filling
another said it did need pulled

I know this dentist is a chain in my area, so may not have been a good idea to go to this one. Just weird when I go the first time. I got to do the lovely bitewings, an exam, and told yeah a deep cleaning then we'll take a look etc. Second time I come here, just told that I need a pulling/extraction.

I might be a bit confused and also want to think about that and get a second opinion. Good for you for not just doing it.
Very, very confusing. I'm done with this dentist and gonna find a new one. My ONLY fear is that if I go to a state aid dentist or one that accepts state aid insurance (think Medicaid/Medicare) that it'll not be very desirable service.

Gonna go to another dentist, and guess if the final opinion is the extraction route then...well will have to face it then. I thought my last dentist said they'd do that deep clean, have me come in two weeks, then do that though. don't have a copy of the treatment plan anymore, though.

You can go back and ask for one, even just via email so you don't have to go in person, they do have to give you a copy of your records and keep them for a certain time. I know email is always easier for me.. though I hate asking for things but if it will help you to approach your next dentist maybe its worth it? I hope you will find someone who is good with anxious patients and very honest!

You can go back and ask for one, even just via email so you don't have to go in person, they do have to give you a copy of your records and keep them for a certain time. I know email is always easier for me.. though I hate asking for things but if it will help you to approach your next dentist maybe its worth it? I hope you will find someone who is good with anxious patients and very honest!
I never got a copy myself of my X-ray and such, but never did think to email them/live chat and see if the dentist thought the same thing or not.

The question whether you need the extraction or not is one thing, but I am really surprised about the spontaneity of the treatment. Knowing what will happen at your appointment is really important even if you are not a nervous patient so being scheduled for a cleaning and then getting the information that it will be an extraction, that sounds like a no-no. So find a practice that communicates clearly and transparently and in a way that make you feel like you can participate in your treatment is a good idea.

As to your fear of being called out for being scared.. it is always good to check waters by a call or an email and see how will they react if you say you are scared and will they put you at ease. There are certainly practices who have no time for nervous patients and see them as a nuisance.

However taking care of a scared patient actually is something really fulfilling and a lovely thing to do. It is a honor to accompany someone who is scared and maybe be the one who can help. I believe that the fulfillment that this goes with treating nervous patient is why so many dentists enjoy to help. There really is nothing nicer than seeing a person who successfully gets through treatment that she was afraid of just few appointments back and then knowing that you were the person who made it possible for her. I believe we are wired to help people who suffer and dental anxiety belongs to that. If any dentist ever makes you feel like being scared is a bad thing, run away.

it's an upper right wisdom tooth that needs pulled. No pain, or anything. My mom and dad said I already got that done before, and it sounded like it could have been only one side or something.

I think then I got put under though and had to see an oral surgeon. I wish that could be an option again, but bah.

The dentist and staff were pretty clear. Next week is the extraction, and then approval from my insurance for deep cleaning.

What I recall from that in the past was pain, pain, and more pain. it sucked! the wisdom tooth stuff that is.

Hi, there are many valid reasons for an upper wisdom tooth requiring removal and it is absolutely fine to ask the dentist why. They should easily be able to justify their decision.

You’ll be glad to hear having experienced pain following a previous tooth removal does not mean to say that the healing process can not go smoothly this time- every tooth is different.

My advice would be to stick with the instructions that are recommended following the removal. This will help the healing process and give things the best chance of settling down.

Hi, there are many valid reasons for an upper wisdom tooth requiring removal and it is absolutely fine to ask the dentist why. They should easily be able to justify their decision.

You’ll be glad to hear having experienced pain following a previous tooth removal does not mean to say that the healing process can not go smoothly this time- every tooth is different.

My advice would be to stick with the instructions that are recommended following the removal. This will help the healing process and give things the best chance of settling down.
Thanks for the help! My pain was actually BEFORE the surgery and not AFTER. I meant to clarify this, but didn't! The pain is what lead my parents to taking me to see a dentist, etc. I'll listen to the dentists advice and stick to a liquid foods (mashed potatoes, jello, pudding, etc)

Back