• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally doing this

Yes, you should pat yourself on the back. You were very brave, and it's now behind you. Good job!

So proud of you for doing it! ITS HARD! You managed under a lot of stress and now you are on the other side! Glad it wasn't too bad and you can start gaining some more positive momentum each time you go! Hope healing goes well and smooth for you! Do you have any little way to reward yourself?

@Danny Oliver - wow, hearing that you're on the other side of it is so inspiring. Thanks, hope you're feeling SO PROUD!

Right now, I feel great. It's been a few days already and the 'hole' as I've taken to call it is healing. I'm scheduled for the 18th this month. Hope this time feels easier. This may have been one of the best things I have done for myself, I probably wouldn't have been able to without you all. Thanks.

It's been a while since I last wrote something here. I had a second tooth pulled right a few minutes ago. I was scheduled for it a week ago, but I had to cancel because of my job, and it was like the universe hates me, because my tooth, which had been dormant up to that moment, chose this week to cause me grief. In the worst of it I briefly entertained the thought that the tooth knew it was living on borrowed time and decided to make the most of it, or perhaps that my body knew I would be tempted to cancel and by causing me pain, it gave me some motivation not to. Ibuprofen and clove oil kept me half-sane, while I told myself 'just a few more days', so if that was my body's tactic, it did work.

So today came, and as stressed as I felt I was excited to put an end to the pain. And I'm happy to say that it was easier than the first time. The dentist was very nice to me, and it was all over so fast. The dentist and the nurse were amicably chatting while the anesthesia took effect, which felt very calming to me for some reason, and since this time the tooth wwas closer to my ear, the dentist told me to expect some cracking noises, which was great. Not knowing to expect that, I would have certainly panicked when I definitely heard some very alarming sounds, but he had warned me so I knew it was normal when it happened. The only bad thing is that they had to anesthesize my palate and it is causing me to gag, which is distressing in itself, but I know this will go as soon as the anesthesia wears off, so there's that.

Now the two worst teeth are gone, there's a third that needs extraction, the xray revealed, because it has a cavity in the root, but since it's not exposed, it causes much less pain. I still have to get that tooth extracted, my plaque removed and a few minor cavities filled, but the painful days are behind me, hopefully. I can't get over that fact, I'm so happy. I've had those bad teeth since I was 20-21, I'm turning 30 this year, so nearly a decade where I can't recall not feeling pain ever so often, and now it's over.

Please, if you've been suffering as I have, try to consider just calling. I did it and it's the best thing I have done for myself, even if as I write I am shaking so bad I have to rewrite every word because my fingers keep double tapping the letters.

I have another appointment in a couple weeks, and while I can't say I'm looking forward to it, it's getting easier.

What inspiring words....... Thank you for sharing with us and wish you continued success and hopefully a very long and happy future beyond this. Love Simon XX

Back