• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally faced my fear!

K

Kentenathien

Well, I have some bad teeth. I need 4 root canals, 3 root tip extractions and a few cavities drilled. When I was 14 (I'm 26 now) I became agoraphobic and was house-bound for about 8 years, suffering from panic attacks, general anxiety disorder, depression. I had never been to the dentist before then and then, due to the agoraphobia and depression, I severely neglected my dental hygiene. So, I finally went to the dentist when I was about 17, right in the middle of all that anxiety and hearing about the sad state that my teeth were in and that they will all fall out by the time I was 20, it instilled a very heavy negative stigma and fear in me. I went in to get one of the teeth pulled and they gave me some laughing gas. I remember it felt like my eyes were vibrating and it freaked me out causing me to flee the office and not return for many years. When I was about 22, I got the courage to take care of two cavities on my front teeth. I think I had the courage to do those because the shame of having them noticeable by everyone was stronger than the fear to get them fixed.

I'm now 26 and the do or die time has finally come. I haven't been able to chew on my left side for a few years so I've been relying on the right side. The tooth on the backside of my right canine has been getting infected all the time. I'll take antibiotics, It'll go away, then in three months, when the immunity wears off, it will get reinfected. So I finally went in to get an X-ray. They told me I would need a root canal or pulled. I want to save as many teeth as I can even though I'm just a full time student, not working, no insurance. While I've been waiting a month until my appointment, one of the molars on my right side decided to crap out on me and a nerve became exposed. So, I had to resort to chewing on the left side again. This caused on of the bad molars on the left side to crap-out as well. So I had no choice.

I went to the ER at 2am because the pain was excruciating on my left side. Obviously they couldn't do anything but they gave me some pain meds. At 8am, I went down to the dental clinic and asked if they could get me in due to a dental emergency. I came back at the time they told me and they took X-rays. I wasn't all that nervous because I had taken a 750mg Vocodin ES and a Lorezapam. :) The dentist told me he can either pull it or take the nerve out. I chose the latter. I was extremely scared but, as with most things in life, I knew that the anticipation is the worst part so I just took it one step at a time. He gave me the shots, which didn't hurt one bit. Started the procedure, still didn't hurt. Near the end, when he was scraping out the canals with the serrated, curved needle, I actually was laughing because it just seemed crazy to me that I'm having such a thing done to me and not feeling one thing at all. Then they inserted the spongy tubes to occupy the canals and sealed it with the filament and I was good to go.

I felt awesome afterwards, knowing that I have taken a huge step. Getting my teeth fixed is one of the very few remaining things left to overcome since the Agoraphobia and I think from now on, it will be a cake walk. I've forgotten what it is like to have good teeth. I have forgotten what it is like to not be in pain almost ALL the time. I have forgotten what it is like to be able to eat certain foods. But I do know that I am finally on the path to getting better, teeth-wise and I am oh-so excited!

:jump: Great job, have a couple peanut m&m's for me to celebrate no more pain! :jump:

Inspiration Kentenathien :jump: great job

Wow. I wish i was you right now. I have the same problem as you do. I have had agoraphobia for a few years and i haven't been able to see a dentist at all. Not that i wanted to. I am so scared of them. And because of my anxiety i am scared i am going to be even more scared. I am 18 years old and my teeth hurt. They get infected,Then you have to use only one side of your mouth.You know the story. I am so scared. I live with my parents and i haven't told them about my teeth. I don't know if i can. I am scared.

Any advise to a scared girl?

Hi Shadowgirl23. There are so many of us who are in exactly the same position as you, completely terrified of dentists (I'll forget about the agoraphobia for now) and unable to talk to anyone, so its a great big secret you're carrying on your own shoulders, quite apart from being in pain. You've made a very important step by admitting here your fears. However, you are so young and have a long and hopefully happy and healthy life ahead of you so now is the time to stop the pain, and that of course means going to the dentist for appropriate treatment. At the moment you can't see yourself doing that. So many of us have been in that position, but posting here our fears has really helped and the support you receive from others really does help to carry you through whatever treatment you need. OK, we can't sit in the dentist chair instead of you, but believe me, with all our support at times it might feel like we are sitting right there alongside you.
You say you have not spoken to your parents. Believe me, mothers are a tremendous breed, they know absolutely everything. You are their daughter and I bet your mother knows you inside out, she knows your pain, she knows your frights but unless you can open up to her she is powerless to help you. So I urge you, have a little chat with your mother, you will feel a tremendous surge of relief (a problem shared is a problem halved, sort of thing) and she will be an added support and strength on the spot.
Teeth that hurt are not healthy teeth and if teeth are not healthy they can seriously affect your overall health. You are young so although you may also be worrying over the worst scenario thinking goodness knows what is wrong with your teeth, it is most likely not much at all, perhaps you do need one tooth pulled, a filling here or there or just cleaning, but better to sort it out now before it gets worse. And apart from which, seeking treatment will lead to having no pain - how marvellous that will be, how wonderful to look forward to a future without toothache, being able to eat normally. That is something so important to keep to the front of your mind.
If you don't feel you can open up to your mother yet, and you havent got a dentist, ask the question in Find a Dentist if anyone knows of a dentist who deals with dental phobics in your area. Finding the right dentist is so important and can make treatment and the way they look after you and care for you so much easier than you could possibly have thought. Perhaps if you can get to the stage of making an appointment to see a dentist - and at the first appointment they probably wouldnt do anything to you, just look to let you know what needs to be done.
So I do urge you, though it might seem impossible at this moment, by posting here you've made lots and lots of friends - think of us as an extended family - and together as a team we can get you through it. :grouphug:

:jump:Fantastic, well done you - you must be so proud of yourself right now! :jump:

Well, I had another appointment today. This time I was having a bottom molar pulled and a root tip right next to it extracted. I felt confident but still nervous. I thought, well, If I can survive having a root removed, I can handle a tooth being pulled. So, I took two Lorezapams, my required 5000mg Amoxicillin pre-med and headed in.

The precedure began. It basically felt like him pushing from side to side to loosen the tooth up. So far, no pain. He also cut the gumline a bit to give better access to the tooth. After about 5 minutes of pulling and pushing, very gently mind you, he stepped away. I asked him what are you going to do now? And he tells me that we are done. He had pulled both teeth. It was pretty amazing. No pain, really no discomfort.

I am pretty excited to have yet another procedure done. Now I just need 2 more root tips extractions, root canal and to finish the root canal on the pulled root I had done a few months ago. Then, no more infections ever again! No more excrutiating pain ever few months! And then I can finally begin restoration.

Congratulations! :jump: I bet you are feeling great after this next step. It's great to read that you gain confidence about the appointments, now each of the upcoming appointments will be easier than the previous. I guess you already know it as well. All the best.

You should be proud of yourself. I wish i could be as strong as you :) Good luck with everything!

Wow, you are getting on well with your treatment. Isn't it amazing how before we pluck up that initial courage to get to a dentist we are so frightened and then though we may still be a bit scared inside, the main feeling turns to excitement at the prospect of having got through yet another appointment and a step closer to beautiful healthy teeth. Well done indeed, you are doing brilliantly.

Hi Shadowgirl 23,
I hope you'll be able to talk about your dental fear.You're still quite young so chances are you will be able to save the teeth with a little dental help.It took me a long time to finally see a dentist voluntarily.I won't say how long cuz it's too embarrising but I'm 56 and just recently went to get check out on my own free will.found out i have 17 cavities.Dental plan is going well.All my uppers filled and 2 extractions done...PAINLESSLY... Yes painless dentistry does exist!!!! Take it slow.Don't rty to do everything all at once.Most important...Communication.. Let your dentist know how you feel.it's amazing what they can do now.Take advantage of sedation options too if offered.I don't even need the valium anymore because I know my visits aren't painful at all.Won't give up that nitrous though!!!! Good Luck

An update, I just had another molar pulled, easy as pie. :) I had a full mouth exam, since I hadn't had one yet with this dentist. All I have left is 1 root canal, 2 root tip extractions, and 8 cavities filled. I'm chugging right along. Although it is taking awhile due to being a full time student and having to resort to a clinic due to no funds, I'm just taking it one step at a time. However long it takes, I'll get it all done. I can't wait for the day that I get all the extractions and fillings done and I can start working on restoring my teeth. Then I can actually get them whitened! They're a little tarnished due to a life-long addiction to coffee, hehe.

Anyways, just wanted to catch everyone up on my progress and to let those who are scared know that modern dentistry is a wonderful thing. It's virtually painless. People get cavities filled and teeth pulled on their lunch hour and then go right on back to work afterwards. If they can do that, then no doubt you can get through it too. Just remember, you are in control, not the dentist. Do what you have to do to be comfortable.

:)

Kentenathian: that is a very sensible and down to earth approach you have and that is going to carry you through to getting your goal of a healthy white smile.

Back