• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally got an appointment at the dental hospital

N

Natzuk

So if you saw any of my last posts how I desperately need a tooth out under general anaesthetic well I have a pre assessment on Thursday for bloods X-ray etc !
Even though I’ve had two general anaesthetic already am still scared but knowing this tooth will finally be taken out due too having two infections I’m so so happy.
I just hope they respect my needs not that am saying they should ( I’m autistic) I just need them too understand I need a lot of support etc .
I really hope I get it out soon .

Will keep you all updated

@Natzuk

I hope they are kind and supportive and understanding when you go in on Thursday. :grouphug: I think , even if someone had general multiple times, its very normal to be nervous.. I've had several surgeries I went out in GA one being dental but also others and I remember working my self up before being so anxious ( they wrote VERY ANXIOUS) in bold letters on my chart the last time. and gave me some lavender to breath in. everytime coming out like you never even went under. I do think that it makes all the difference to have a staff that is kind and patietn and answers all your questions and concerns I know itdid for me!

Good luck for your tooth extraction!

I know it's a weird thing to say but I Love general anaesthetics!
It's that floaty, calming, not a care in the world and no more pain feeling you get, just as you drift away...
Thinking of you x

@Fuzzy5 thank you
Not sure when it will be .
Am just going for bloods and X-rays today.

It's a start in the right direction Hun 😊 x

@krlovesherkids777

So I went and had X-rays. There’s two teeth that need removing as the one next too it also has infection 😢.
I was there a few hours and it was t getting too much and felt like crying.

They are okay with me having a general anaesthetic, they also want too remove some roots that weren’t removed from other teeth that have fallen out so I’ll be having those taken out and the two teeth.

I’m just sad as I hardly have any teeth and I’m finding life hard .
There’s no help I’ve been asking for help mentally but keep getting rejected.

I’m struggling so much .
Although I know I need these teeth removed am scared and just feel upset .

I have never smiled , I’m unable too afford bridges.
I spend most days in bed due too where I live , not feeling safe so much happening I can’t provide for my teeth too be done .

I am on a waiting list now but I do hope it’s soon . They said 3/6 months but hopefully it will be before Christmas or sooner .

I have another phone consultation in 5 weeks time , so will express my thoughts and feelings and hopefully it will bump up my appointment.

Sorry, I’m struggling so much in fact I have all my life and feel like am just exsisting

Hi Natzuk,

you have been so brave getting through the x-rays and consultation! I'm so sorry you are struggling so much :(

There seems to be a shift from being hopeful in your first post to feeling so down now, describing not feeling safe and life being hard so I was wondering whether these feelings come from being scared and overwhelmed by that appointment or whether you have been struggling mentally anyway.
I’m just sad as I hardly have any teeth and I’m finding life hard .

There’s no help I’ve been asking for help mentally but keep getting rejected.

I’m struggling so much .
Although I know I need these teeth removed am scared and just feel upset .

I have never smiled , I’m unable too afford bridges.
I spend most days in bed due too where I live , not feeling safe so much happening I can’t provide for my teeth too be done .

Would you mind sharing a bit more about this? Asking for help and being rejected and also about what is it that makes you feel unsafe? Sounds like a horrible place to be. :(

I see how everything may look difficult at the moment, but maybe there are still other options? I don't know much about your situation, but dentures crossed my mind as I was reading that bridges are not affordable for you.

Anyway, please feel free to write and vent here as much as you need. Writing helps and you do not have to deal with this alone.:grouphug:

@Enarete thanks for the kind words .

I just feel completely sad really that I’ve not had proper help with my teeth at all .

My old dentist definitely did not do correctly regarding the care of my teeth.
I think am just scared and angry .

Also I’m scared incase I get another infection so that’s making me worry about eating , am worried about waiting so long for the appointment, I know I can have sedation but truthfully I know I would find that very hard also .

Also I mean mental health support they literally keep rejecting me .

3/6 months isn’t long await is it ?
It is all overwhelming because it’s not just the one tooth they want too take out it’s the one next too it and also roots that have been left over .

I’m petrified as I know it will be a big job 😭 .

@letsconnect

In Manchester the mental health team are just rubbish .

Do you mean you don’t get seen, or that the help they offer is rubbish?

@letsconnect I don’t get seen .

I’ve been referred but they can’t help me .

I can’t afford to get help privately either.

We’ve got some connections in Manchester- I’ll see what I can find out about the services there. Give me a day to get back to you.

@letsconnect thank you .

It’s taken a new dentist too refer me to the dental hospital.
My old dentist practice they were shocking.
My referrals was not filled in correctly and I kept getting rejected.
They knew I was autistic, they knew how I mentally and physically needed to be treated at the dental hospital due too trauma sensory issues etc .
Anyway I am in the process of a complaint procedure as it’s left me physically and mentally exhausted.

I am scared of my teeth being taken out under general anaesthetic but I know it’s for the best .
Not sure how I’ll cope after it though knowing I’ll have even less teeth and I can’t afford too do anything.

Keep trying with MH Teams, IAPT etc, sometimes we have to fight for what we need and deserve, which is all wrong IMHO but there you go!
Please keep reaching out for help & support, you're not alone x

Hi again, you could try getting in touch with the Gaddum centre and see if they can provide any help with accessing more appropriate mental health services:

Hang on in there 🤗

@Fuzzy5

It’s so draining all the time .
Maybe because I’m autistic also .
I just don’t know how too cope with everything and now all this with my teeth getting too much

@letsconnect I’ll try thanks .

I just want all this over with now .
My teeth and everything else .

Maybe join Mind's Side by Side website for peer support? It's a good website with a very supportive community x