• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally got an appointment!!!!

C

carriss

This morning I got a letter with an appointment on Wednesday 14th January at oral surgery in our local hospital. Although I've been waiting a long time to be seen, i didn't expect the appointment to be so soon, and it's thrown me into a panic.
I'm worried about someone new looking in my mouth. I'm worried that they'll find I have a dental disease that means I have to get all my teeth out.
But most of all I'm worried that they won't find anything wrong and I just have to continue living in pain.
I have suspected nerve damage after a root canal/extraction.

YAY!!! I know it's scary Carriss but try to look at this as your first step in the road to recovery. I hope you get some answers and some resolution to your pain and problems. If it is nerve damage it is possible it may just heal in time. I know some people have still had pain or numbness after extractions but it eventually resolved or at least improved somewhat.

Thanks Scaredy,
My dentist thought it would resolve in weeks, then he said a few months. But its been 8 months now and the numbness has become pain. I'm so scared that it'll never be better.
My heart has been beating faster all day since I got the letter in. Don't think I'll sleep.
Anyway, I'm so pleased that you got a positive result. You may have lost a tooth but you've got your life back.

Hi Carriss!
I am so happy to hear you're about to take your next step toward getting the help you so need and deserve!!! I KNOW you are scared...and rightly so. When you are suffering, knowing is terrifying, NOT knowing why is even worse!! Let's remain hopeful and optimistic you are about to meet the one who can actually truly HELP. The one who will take a gentle peek and say, I know EXACTLY what happened, what is going on and, the best part...HOW TO HELP YOU. Here's what we can do. Don't borrow trouble about WHAT it is, focus on the fixing not the fear. (And laugh yourself silly when you hear that coming from me. Probably the most hypocritical advice I will ever give as fixing generates its own fear, doesn't it?) What I was trying to say...after a crazy long, stressful day...is the feeling better part....focus on that, which is what the fixing will bring, pain free living!

I know you feel like it is suddenly "sprung" on you but better this way than months of worry counting down the days. Trust me on that. We can be appointment buddies that week. You're the 14th, I'm the 16th! Cyberhand-holding anyone???

Thanks Scaredy,
My dentist thought it would resolve in weeks, then he said a few months. But its been 8 months now and the numbness has become pain. I'm so scared that it'll never be better.
My heart has been beating faster all day since I got the letter in. Don't think I'll sleep.
Anyway, I'm so pleased that you got a positive result. You may have lost a tooth but you've got your life back.

Sometimes dentists just plain don't know and it seems like they tell us what we want to hear. I'm sorry you have been going through this 8 months. I spent 3 months getting told I would "feel a little better every day" after getting the filling ground down, after getting it crowned, after getting it root canaled, every time I was told I would feel a little better but I never did so I can only imagine what it's like to go through it for 8 months. It is physically and emotionally exhausting to be in pain all the time.
My tooth above the extraction site still pains me on and off and I believe the dentist who did the filling damaged it because it never hurt before then and has hurt on and off since that day. But I am not ready to deal with it or have it looked at just yet. I need some time off after so many appointments.

Mugz, you are right, the fear of the unknown is the worst thing. I think I can cope with the pain better than the fear. All the "what ifs" drive me mad as worries go round and round in my head. So know that next week you are not alone.

Scaredy, my dental problems have been going on for 2 years, before that I had no major problems. Feb 2013 I had a tooth extracted (after failed root canal) and woke up the next day with extreme pain on the opposite side. I've had constant trouble since then.
I'm sure your extraction site will settle down. It's early days yet.

Hey carriss
I know that we are not too familiar.
I just want to give you my support and wish all the luck in the world for your next appointment.
I truly hope You will get your answers and eventually a relief from all Your pains.

Midwinter, thank you! The support on this forum is brilliant. Although I have a lovely family, no one in my real world understands the way I feel like the members here.

Mugz, you are right, the fear of the unknown is the worst thing. I think I can cope with the pain better than the fear. All the "what ifs" drive me mad as worries go round and round in my head. So know that next week you are not alone.

Scaredy, my dental problems have been going on for 2 years, before that I had no major problems. Feb 2013 I had a tooth extracted (after failed root canal) and woke up the next day with extreme pain on the opposite side. I've had constant trouble since then.
I'm sure your extraction site will settle down. It's early days yet.

oh my gosh 2 years! I can't imagine. I do hope you finally get some answers, this is crazy they have left you in pain for so long.
My extraction site is healing fairly well:) it's the tooth above it that the first idiot dentist accidentally hit hard with the handle of the drill that I'm a little worried about. it was vibrating really hard and banged hard into my tooth probably 5 or 6 times before they moved it away. but it is not an unbearable constant pain so I'm not having it looked at yet. my phobia is back in full swing after having so many problems caused by going to the dentist.

Back