• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally got it Pulled!

D

Dmartjr

On Friday, I got one of my back wisdom teeth pulled. A little background on me; about 7 years ago, a dentist told me that my widom teeth have to come out. Once I heard that, I stopped going to the dentist. One of my biggest fears is of the dentist, and especially having to have my teeth pulled out.
So I put it off for the past seven years. Gradually, my upper left wisdom tooth started to severely decay. For the past two years, I have gone through bouts of pain and normalcy. Every time the pain came back, it would be worse. It got pretty bad about 4 months ago, so I broke down and went to a dentist. He recommonded that the one wisdom tooth be removed (not all of them, thank God) because of severe decay. He asked if I wanted it done right than and there with just novacaine, and I said NO. I want to be knocked out if I am getting a tooth pulled. So he gave me a referral to an oral surgeon and sent me on my way.
In the meantime, my tooth felt better, so I put off having it taken out. All of a sudden about a month ago, the pain was so bad that I had to go to Urgent Care and get some pain meds, and also antibiotics (I'm sure I've had an infection on and off for quite a while now).
So at this point, enough was enough. I made the appointment to have the tooth removed, with the help of IV Sedation.
Lucky for me, the oral surgeon does the initial consult and the extraction in the same day. The day of the surgery (this past friday), I was worried about a bunch of things. I had never been under any sort of anesthesia, and I was afraid it wouldn't work on me. I was afraid that I'd feel them pulling it out, or waking up in the middle of it. I was also nervous that I would never wake up from the anesthesia.
So, waiting in the dentist's chair this past friday, a strange calm came over me. Probably because I knew it was finally going to happen. The dentist came in and got me ready for the sedation. He missed my vein with the IV 3 times (I'm bruised on my arm currently from it). Once he got the IV in and started the medicine, BOOM! I was OUT. I woke up what seemed like 30 seconds later. I didn't remember a thing, and I was in great spirits. I wasn't as "out of it" from the anesthesia as other people I've seen. I could actually function. And I was happy that it was finally over.
Fast forward 4 days later: I've had absolutely no pain. No swelling. Nothing. I've been eating solid foods since the second day, I think it had to have been the easiest extraction in history. Although I'm pretty sure that my case is pretty rare.

Bottom line: If I knew it was that easy, I would have done it years ago.

glad to hear your success story i was a bit like you putting it off until it got so bad, well done :)

I know about that strange calmness thing. It happened to me too on extraction day.

Good for you. I had a wisdom removed today with novacaine and was surprised how speedy and straight forward it was.

Congratulations to both of you :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Back