• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally got up the nerve to call, but..

B

BlueStarGalaxies

I FINALLY got up the nerve to call and make a appointment to see what my options were, after years of anxiety and dental phobia and crippling depression... But they didn't answer the phone! ? I discovered this place about two years ago in my area that is supposed to work with you and help you get work done on low income, I'm assuming payment plans? I hope so, I have no insurance and no loads of money. ? I got a answering machine after a few rings that said they were busy tending to other patients and that I could leave a message, but I wanted to talk to a human, so I didn't. Now I'm shaking with anxiety after working up all that nerve to call, I feel like my luck is just terrible with everything I do. ? I plan to TRY and call back about a hour or two before they close so I don't bother them on their lunch break. But I'm posting today because I NEED support and reassuring words from people who KNOW what this nightmare is like. How did YOU do it? ? I have dental phobia, general anxiety, and I'm straight up EMBARRASSED about my teeth. They are terrible.
Advice plase and thank you... ??

I'm sorry to hear that no one answered the phone and spoke to you. As you said, they were busy, but I understand that it's hard to make the first phone call. Would you be able to email them instead? I got myself so stressed out by the thought of having to make a phone call but I've had a lot of success by emailing a few practices.

:hug4:

I'm sorry to hear that no one answered the phone and spoke to you. As you said, they were busy, but I understand that it's hard to make the first phone call. Would you be able to email them instead? I got myself so stressed out by the thought of having to make a phone call but I've had a lot of success by emailing a few practices.

:hug4:
I could never find a email for them ? I keep going over and over in my head what I want to say if I call. "hi, can I make a appointment to get a estimate on possibly ________?" but I don't know if I will sound like a idiot or not. ☹️

You have already demonstrated a lot of courage. Give it another try, when you are ready.

Like Dg6300 has wrote, you can always try again when you feel ready.

We're all here to support you in whatever you decide.

You have already demonstrated a lot of courage. Give it another try, when you are ready.

Like Dg6300 has wrote, you can always try again when you feel ready.

We're all here to support you in whatever you decide.

Thank you. I am going to try again this afternoon. My mom suggested doing a walk in, but I feel like I need to explain myself over r the phone.
Frostgirl, I was just reading some of your old posts for encouragement. , congrats on making it to the dentist! ?

I FINALLY got up the nerve to call and make a appointment to see what my options were, after years of anxiety and dental phobia and crippling depression... But they didn't answer the phone! ? I discovered this place about two years ago in my area that is supposed to work with you and help you get work done on low income, I'm assuming payment plans? I hope so, I have no insurance and no loads of money. ? I got a answering machine after a few rings that said they were busy tending to other patients and that I could leave a message, but I wanted to talk to a human, so I didn't. Now I'm shaking with anxiety after working up all that nerve to call, I feel like my luck is just terrible with everything I do. ? I plan to TRY and call back about a hour or two before they close so I don't bother them on their lunch break. But I'm posting today because I NEED support and reassuring words from people who KNOW what this nightmare is like. How did YOU do it? ? I have dental phobia, general anxiety, and I'm straight up EMBARRASSED about my teeth. They are terrible.
Advice plase and thank you... ??

As someone who made that call about a month ago, I don’t know what I would have done if they didn’t pick up. Congratulations on having the courage to call! You’ll find that courage again when you’re ready.

Many of us (including me) are embarrassed by the state of our teeth but many of us are also finding that dentists don’t want to shame... they want to help. Knowing that has helped me a ton.

I feel everything that you’re feeling. Dental phobia is the worst. Hang in there!

What a bummer they didn‘t pick up, but even more that they didn‘t call you back after having an unanswered call from you..

Anyway, may I suggest you don‘t TRY to call them but CALL them? After all, if you managed to do it once, I am absolutely confident you will manage that again. Things get better as you progress on your journey, not worse. By the way, this might be a good exercise; a call is only a start and you will need a lot of courage to step in so why not seeing this as a chance to get fit in calling in order to prepare yourself to attend the appointment soon?
A small advice: there is not much point of pushing yourself too hard. If you give yourself some space, then sooner or later there will be a moment of you feeling like „today I feel confident enough, I‘ll call them“.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Back