• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

finally i'm going today...

A

anapa

Hi everyone! Finally I've overcome my fears and have my dad call the dentist for the appointment! The last time I went to the dentist was 10 years ago.. or so..

I have anxiety attacks just by thinking about it.. yesterday I had trouble sleepping and I'm fellling nauseous right now..

I know I have to go to the dentist for my own sakes.. and I am sure I will be allright but the anxiety is still there!

I will post tomorrow to tell how it was!
just want to thx everyone here in the Forum cause I'm not feeling lonely, and knowing so many people has overcomed their own fears make me feel stronger!

wish me luck!!!

The best advice I can give is to explain how nervous you are to the dentist during your visit. He/she should listen to you and do whatever they can to put you at ease.

All the best!

Welcome to the forum. Good luck today. From the sounds of it, you already have a good handle on your fears. Let us know how everything goes.

Wishing you loads of luck, I am a newbie too and felt just the same as you before my appointment, and it is absolutely true that you feel amazing afterwards. Will be thinking of you, let us know how it goes.

yeeeeiiii!!!!! Finally I stood up and face all my fears!!!

Yesterday I had my first dentist visit after 10 years!!! I didnt slept well the last 2 years and had 2 pannick attacks in the night. Yesterday I woke up nauseated and with a lot of anxiety. I had to take some traquilizers.
Finally at noon, my mom and I went to the dentist office.

I have to say that after looking for several months in the internet about options I found about laser dentistry. Finally my dentist web paged appeared and I liked it a lot, it had a lot of Q&A and explained procedures. (It is a good resource, to look things through the web..!)

Between cryiing and anxiety I sarted talking with the Dr. and explaiining him about my anxiety and my phobia. He was the best, he tried to calm me down, told me about experiencies, and even took me a laugh with him.

He told me that first he just was going to evaluate me and be as gentle as possible. I have a treatable gum problem,3 minor cavities and 1 major cavitiy and my wise teeth has to be removed.

After the evaluation he explained me about all the procedures with laser. There is NO noise, NO drilling, and MINIMAL pain! so I'm looking forward for it. Going back on monday for my first procedure.

I'm still very anxious and pannicked about it but Im certain i will be going every year for a cleaning and evaluation.

Some good tips are using breathing techniques and try to use an ipod with music during the visit for calming down.

Wish the most luck to everyone with the same problem, be know that you are not alone out there and that a dental visit can be satisfactory!

thx a lot to everyone helping me..

going to post again on monday about the laser dentistry!

:)

Back