• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally, now I know what they're going to do to me...

Pianimo

Pianimo

...so now I can move from blind panic to an informed fear! ;)

I had my appointment today, supposedly with TC2 (treatment co-ordinator), but actually it was with the "Practice Manager" (but she's RDN as well) - don't know why the change, but she was nice anyway. When we first sat down, she asked something about whether Dentist3 had explained my treatment plan, whereupon I told her that no, I'd actually had tell D3 what I thought I was having done, as my notes were missing. Cue: "Um..right...well I have...but I think there should be two...er, just wait here a minute while I go and check something..." So I sat there thinking, "Oh dear, here we go again!" :( But she came back in a few minutes with all my notes, and went on to apologise a few times during the appointment for what happened last week. (Apparently it was the very nice D2's fault - he'd kept hold of them so he could give them to D3 personally, and explain things...except, he hadn't yet!)

Anyway, I feel so much better now, for being out of the dark! No tears today! :) She talked me through my treatment plan, costs etc, and answered all of my very long list of questions I'd brought with me! I suppose this is where the TC concept maybe can help, because whilst if I had a choice I'd rather have been asking the dentist who'll be working on me, I had over 1 hour's worth of Q&A today for free, which obviously would never happen with a dentist.

So, now I know what I have to be worried about - 1 root canal and 5 fillings (under sedation, in 2-3 appointments), and 4 sessions with a hygenist to treat my gums etc, which hopefully I can cope with without paying for sedation (or Nucalm, which I've been offered again for these). I also know a bit more (but no graphic details! - :sick:) about what these appointments will entail. Plus I have the information I need to help with my uni extension application, and D3 is happy to provide a statement. :) So yeah, so much happier....

...but, still TERRIFIED! It all starts 1 week tomorrow... :hidesbehindsofa: At least I've had to pay already - there's no way I'm wimping out now!!!! Have been reading lots of IV sedation tales on here - the good ones really help...then I find a bad one!! Hope I can become one of the success stories!

I'm glad you managed to get your questions answered :thumbsup:!

As you said, the stories about IV sedation where things didn't work out are very very rare. Obviously, it is always important (sedation or no sedation) that you like and trust your dentist - did you find out who will be treating you? I'm sure everything will go well though - despite the slip-ups with timing etc., they sound like a pretty trustworthy outfit overall :grouphug:

Thanks letsconnect. :) D3 is going to do everything, so that's definitely one less worry. I did also email her and explain how I was feeling (then again after seeing PM, to say I was a bit happier), and I said that I think I'll still need her to go slowly in my first appointment, and talk me through things again a bit before we start. I've not had a reply yet, but I'm hoping she won't mind. I know that she trained in IV sedation because she wanted to help anxious patients, so although I still feel like such a burden/annoyance, at least I can tell myself she's specifically chosen to treat people like me! I do think they're a good place...though I also think they should be, for what I'm paying!! :p

Thanks again for being interested in what's happened; the support on here - and seeing I'm not the only one! - has really helped me. :)

Good to hear it's all done by D3 :). Have you heard back from her yet?

Hi, no - no reply yet. (So I've no confirmation about her providing a statement for my extension application either.) Hope I haven't bothered her/freaked her out with all my anxiety! :redface: I'm trying to assume she's just very busy...

Most likely she's just very busy as you said :) (let's hope the email didn't get lost in their system - it does happen occasionally). Don't think you would have freaked her out or bothered her too much!

Thanks. :) I'm a dreadful worrier, highly skilled in imagining a worst-case scenario in any situation! She actually emailed me first (after I'd asked the receptionist how to contact her directly), so I do at least know it's gone to the right address!

So - it all starts tomorrow...HELP!!! :hidesbehindsofa:

Honestly, I'm SO nervous. And it really doesn't help that I've two other big stresses in life at the moment: firstly, trying to compile evidence and statements etc for my application to extend the final deadline of my university course - whilst getting as much work done as possible in between the compiling and stressing! Even then, I've been told there's no guarantee the application will succeed, so I may be about to fail my entire course! :( I've been working at it for 5 years, so would obviosuly be devestated.

I'm also having a rather unpleasant procedure done in hospital on Monday, which I'm T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D about! I didn't even completely understand what was going to happen properly until I looked something up last night...and now I wish I didn't know!

As a result of all this, I'm a bit of a wreck! I woke up suddenly in a state of terror last night; someone had just been to the loo, and I was listening to the noise of the toilet flushing and thinking, "Argh, what's that noise?! It's not stopping!...it's not stopping!....Help, it's still not stopping!...oh, oh, it's stopped...it's ok...toilet...flushing...yeah....breathe...!" Then I felt all wobbly and funny, and had a conversation with myself something like: "I'm shaking! Wait, I think the bed's shaking! No, everything's shaking! Is it an earthquake??? Oh..no...I think it's just me!" Yep, I've become a complete nutcase! :ROFLMAO: :redface:

So, it's now daytime, and I'm no longer creating earthquakes or afraid of the toilet (!) I'm trying to be calm, not least because I can't afford to spend time panicking when I have so much work etc to do! But calm is most definitely eluding me. Now, my usual preferred method to take the edge off things is a quality session of list and plan making (woo!)...but on this occasion, they've ranged from the sensible and helpful (questions to ask my dentist before she starts), to the more than faintly ridiculous (three alternative outfits for the appointment, depending on the weather and how I feel in the morning; and specific instructions for my dad about how to reheat my soup in the microwave for lunch tomorrow!! lol) Oh dear, what a numpty! Can somebody help me calm down...please???

I'm a dreadful worrier myself so I don't have much in the way of suggestions for calming yourself down :) - though maybe the thought that by this time tomorrow, you'll have jumped the first and biggest hurdle might help :grouphug:

Now all we need is that elusive time machine and push the fast-forward button :p!!

Wishing you all the for with your appointment tomorrow :thumbsup:

Thanks letsconnect.

Now all we need is that elusive time machine and push the fast-forward button :p!!

lol Sounds good...if only!

I'm still in a state. :cry: But I've got uni stuff I need to sort before tomorrow, so I'm trying to focus on that...although that's partly replacing one worry with another! :(
But, even with so much else to stress about, you're right - I'll be so proud of myself if I get through tomorrow! I'll have taken the first major step towards a healthy mouth. And, I mean, I might be petrified, but that's because I'm really doing this - I'm actually planning on going to go to see a dentist in the morning, and letting her do stuff in my mouth! Wow! :)

Good luck for your appointment today !!!
:grouphug:

Back