• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

FINALLY went to the dentist... now I'm scared.

K

KingLil

Hi, been lurking around a bit. I'm 31 and havent been to the dentist since I was a small child... I have always hated it so I avoided it and once I was out on my own avoided it all together. Funny enough my teeth have held up well, never had any pain or anything, I could see small spots forming here and there that I knew were cavities but they were tiny and never got bigger. Up until 4 years ago when I broke a tooth... I went to a dentist right when it happened (but I was terrified) and he said I needed a root canal, I of course was like HELL NO so I never went back.:cry:

Now 4 years later my tooth has withered away to almost nothing and a few days ago it started swelling up... so I knew I was headed again for the dentist. this time I went to my husbands dentist b/c he said shes great. so I made my appt for this morning, I thought I would seriously pass out I was so damn nervous.

They did my xrays which took forever. Dentist came in and did an exam, really no big deal other than I'm embarrased at the state of my teeth but hell she must see some bad stuff right? the dentist told me that the broken tooth could not be saved and that I needed all 4 of my wisdom teeth out too (I have all 4 perfectly in but of course they have cavities, impossible to clean)
She also said I need some fillings, didnt say how many which is fine by me, I'd rather not know just go in and have it done.

So now I have to see an oral surgeon to remove the broken tooth and all 4 wisdom and so yea I'm freakin terrified :(!!!!! how long will that take? what should I expect? also I'm nursing my son will I be able to do that right after the surgery? I want to be put under for sure... HELP!!

all I have to say is that I should have just gotten that damn root canal and I'd be saving my tooth :cry:

hi kingli :)

i'm right there with the "i should have taken care of this when it was a smaller issue" mentality for sure!

(the only times i've been to the dentist in the last few years were emergency situations-one of them being a root canal (which really wasn't that bad, just took a while) and b/c i wasn't crazy about the dentist never went back for the crown. 3 years later, i just had that tooth pulled b/c it was too far gone to save.)

i've only had one wisdom tooth out-it was a piece of cake, the dentist pulled for about 2 minutes and it was out. with 4, i would assume it would take a bit longer, though if they're not impacted, it shouldn't be that hard to get them out? i'm not a dentist obviously, :rolleyes:)

i also don't know about the nursing thing. i would think it would depend on the type of sedation. i'm sure they get questions about that all the time, don't be afraid to voice a concern!

good luck and let us know how it turns out!
ally

Back