• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fine until 20 then avoided until 43! I've been very silly...

• Thread starter Ilovemydentistreally
  • Start date
I understand people do a lot of things. It isn’t just you. Just don’t want you suffering, dealing with j tense pain, or infections.

Much of what was done DIY might have been a straight forward repair. I have had times something went wrong with a tooth and it hurt... as soon as I got to the dentist, he turned the pain completely off and fixed the tooth... a couple hours later and then local anesthetic wire off and it was normal like nothing bad ever happened.

Argh! I'm being silly, I know. I have an appointment in a few hours but have lost momentum. It feels like ages since I've been. My gums feel like they are healing well. Today is nothing to be scared of. I think it's my first dentures and possibly a little filling. But I'm back to fear mode. Going to nap or meditate for a while, then get ready to go... Keep trying to think of reasons to cancel. I've got a tummy bug and don't want to risk passing it on. I haven't eaten much for days and don't want to risk the progress of the last couple of days. Isn't it mad the way the mind reverts to old habits?
I'm keeping all of you inspirational, brave souls in my mind and hoping this gets me through. Thanks all. :)

I might be late with this, but it really is normal to get back to anxiety before your appointment. The mind learns very slowly and the more time passes after your good experience, the more likely you are to feel nervous. This will get better over time though.

You appointment might be over already, hope all went well. Look forward to read your update!

Well, I got a couple of fillings, no problems there.
Temporary dentures are in now, top and bottom. They are going to take some getting used to and I have to sleep with them in tonight.. so another sleepless night looks likely. I didn't know about this but it makes sense.
Only now I find out that I am apparently done and dusted for 6 months. This sounds like great news on the surface but the next few days and weeks are when the temporary dentures will shift with the healing gums and will need minor tweaking as they adjust with the changing gums. Again, all to be expected but I didn't know this until today.
Already, I've managed one lovely meal, as odd as feels. I had to take them out for a rinse but put them straight back in, and this is to continue for the first 24 hours. But already I have had real difficulty removing the top set. I fought with them for nearly 10 minutes. One side was coming out but not the other. I had to keep resting and starting again after putting them back in straight. It's like they are already too tight and need some tweaking?
The dentist explained that I should expect this sort of thing and that I've just to phone for adjustments as required. But I'm worried that I won't even make the first 24 hours! They were tough indeed to get out and the strain on the remaining crowns is making them wiggle already.
I'm currently awake and getting very hungry but dread eating because I could well see the rinsing part causing problems straight afterwards. I fear getting stuck, in the middle of the night, with a denture half-in/half-out! It's really freaking me out. Surely I can fast until the morning or just drink water, one might think. Just getting over a stomach bug though and the pit in my now empty-feeling tum is gnawing away like I'm actually starving!
Also, I now see that perhaps I won't practically be able to continue to see the same dentist. As in; if I get into difficulty tomorrow, she may be off or fully booked maybe. I may even get passed onto someone else now that I'm "in the door". That seems reasonable, right? I should be able to adapt and they will all be equally competent. But I personally am not ready to be passed about. I'm not reasonable yet about all this. :(
Seriously thinking of taking the dentures out first, (assuming I still can..) then quickly eating some boiled eggs before re-inserting. This seems to be strictly against the instructions I've been given though. Like the first 24 hours are absolutely crucial maybe. I'm driving myself up the wall with this and too hungry and run-down to get any perspective. Beginning to regret not thinking ahead and having a 3 course meal before the appointment. :) Not that I could have managed that with my still-upset stomach. I'm considering trying to take them out just to eat and maybe just leaving them out until I can phone tomorrow (having hopefully slept a little...) Otherwise, I'm going to sit here fretting and whingeing as I count the remaining 9 hours until the surgery opens! Then I've wasted time for them and feel such a hypochondriac.
Oh, I'm sort of regretting agreeing to any of this right now. I'm such an ungrateful wretch...
What a crappy update. My apologies. (8 and a half hours still to go. :( )

ilovemydentistreally

I was thinking of you but didn't get a chance to write until now. Thanks for keeping us up to date.. I'm sorry about the struggles.. dentures though, we can do them with time and resilance are a change and take work to get used to. You have had such strong momentum and positivity to get you through recently.. You are amazingly strong.. still its not easy.. Give yourself alot of credit.. I do encourage you to ring them and email them as much as you need to regarding adjustments. that is their job and they expect it.

"Also, I now see that perhaps I won't practically be able to continue to see the same dentist. As in; if I get into difficulty tomorrow, she may be off or fully booked maybe. I may even get passed onto someone else now that I'm "in the door". That seems reasonable, right? I should be able to adapt and they will all be equally competent. But I personally am not ready to be passed about. I'm not reasonable yet about all this. :( "

I want to really encourage you in this.. that this is alot in your power. You do not have to agree to see any other dentist.. Sure , if she really is out of town or away, and it is emergency you may have the option to see another dentist in the practice.. and maybe they are all competant.. but you are her patient.. she took you on. and knows you and your mouth and your case. It is totally reasonable to ask for her and get her everytime. unless like I mention it may be last minute emergency. YOu have the choice and power .. I encourage you because basically I was at a dental office several years ago that was a bit might I say bullyish like this they would switch me at last minute not knowing drs.. and throw them in the room, and not wanting to "be mean, or offend them, I just went with it.. " it wasn't good and just helped me revert to worse anxiety with the whole thing.. I've termed this the "switcheroo".. and I will not let it happen in this way again.. I can only encourage you to respectfully speak up to what and who makes you feel comfortable. If you don't want to be passed on let them know.

I told my previous dentist of the switcheroo of the other dental office and he reassured me it would never happen in his office and that he wrote his name and my favorite assistants name on my chart.. that I wanted them only. well. I did get some other assistants when Shelby wasn't there.. but most of the time I got her and everytime got him.. I also would ask the reception before my appt to confirm it was with him. and the last time I did that they let me know they switched it to another dentist because he was no longer there. I cancelled and went to find him... and ultimately did after some research :).

I hope you can always keep the dentist you prefer.. sorry such a long answer, I guess I'm a little passionate about this subject..

"Oh, I'm sort of regretting agreeing to any of this right now. I'm such an ungrateful wretch...
What a crappy update. My apologies. (8 and a half hours still to go. :( )"

This is difficult.. give yourself grace. if you do take them out either to eat or overnight you will not be the first and they can help you tomorrow. I m not advising you do. but just saying. I hope you do what your body /mind needs the most. I know I struggled with my lower at first, it was 20 years ago so don't remember it vividly but it wasn't easy, eventually was worth it and felt better about things. you are absolutely not an ungrateful wench,.. you are amazing, strong,resilant person !!

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow!

Thank-you, krlovesherkids777. Really. I needed a bit of perspective. I like your take on this. Perhaps I was just feeling a wee bit of self-pity there. It's not a luxury I wish to indulge in. Especially as I am following truly (in my opinion) heroic journeys like yours.
I haven't eaten, nor removed the dentures yet. Stomach seems a bit less bothersome now, for now. I think sometimes I mistake hunger for just normal digestion. So I will wait and see how it goes. Trying to stay distracted and just feeling the plastic with my tongue. The sooner I get used to them the better, yes? It's just the top one that feels really weird but the dentist did say, at the time, that they were indeed a tight fit. In fact she had to insert it. The bottom one was easy and I did that. Maybe she half expects a call very soon. I don't know.
I'm going to try to hold off until breakfast time. After dinner was my first shot at pulling them out. Hopefully I'll master the technique and at least manage the 24 hour part. :) If not, I know what to do.
Thanks for the advice about the "switcheroo". I will be on my guard about that. Just have to be honest, respectful and reasonable. I really don't fancy another 23 year hiatus...
Anyway, only about 5 hours until I can risk breakfast and, if that goes okay and I still haven't slept, surely I can grab a couple of hours sleep. Maybe I'll even try now for a snooze, without pinning all hope on it.
But again, thanks for your wisdom on this. It's massively helpful. :)

Thanks Dg6300 and letsconnect. :)

To those who have listened to my doubts and fears. Hello and good morning from not-so-sunny Scotland. (We're getting some chilly Icelandic leftover weather here in the UK today...)
I still haven't slept yet but just ate a beautiful scrambled egg sandwich and actually tasted it without the overruling plastic flavour. I chewed very slowly and carefully. It was a cold egg sandwich by the time I finished! But that has been going on for years before visiting the dentist so no biggie. Anyway, this was my second attempt at removing the denture. I was hesitant and ready for failure but I'm pleased to report that using my tongue as a third hand seems to be the trick. :) Both are back in place now, nicely rinsed and I'm able to move some stuff until next week. So although I haven't slept and my speech is starting to slur; I'm taking it easy and if I do nod off, it doesn't have to be for long. In fact it can't be because my wife is making some carrot and coriander soup and has already told me what I'm having for lunch with that. Really feeling pretty blessed about all of that...
Assuming I can't sleep... I can have a thoroughly early night as the dentures can be removed any time from 4 pm. Of course 4 pm seems a bit early though so I'm aiming for 8pm. By then I can be brushing my teeth again and things should be back to the new "normal". My tongue is already getting bored with the sensation of plastic and just noticing occasionally but, really it's too busy getting geared up for soup and other more exciting stuff.
I don't feel that I should be phoning the dentist for any urgent adjustments but will instead keep my senses on alert for anything "scratchy" or "jumpy". If something goes wrong while they're closed over the weekend, surely it can wait until Monday.
I guess I expected to walk out of the dentist's yesterday and just instantly adapt. Looks like it may take a few more days, or hours at least! I think I can gratefully accept that consequence.
And I think I can handle a few more hours of sleep-deprivation. My intention is to sleep like a baby tonight though. Mmmm...looking so forward to that. :)
krlovesherkids777, thanks again for bearing with me. My wife and the 3 kids have a different dentist to me, being as I came later to the game. She has just reassured me that they don't play switcheroo down there from what she can tell. You're assigned a dentist until they move on. If that happens you are then assigned another, similarly trained professional. Their facebook page is like The Waltons! So, not quite a jazz club but certainly one big happy family.
On a sad note: regarding that family, they just lost their co-founder and I feel it would be wrong not to wish his wife, family, colleagues and patients my sincerest condolences.
May you all go well and thanks for listening if you have been. :)

Quick update. Other teeth have been noticeably wobbling because the top denture is so tight. I got to late Friday, once the dentist was closed for the weekend, and frankly just got too scared. I haven't put them in all weekend. Even when I'm very gently brushing my teeth; I'm sure I am noticing more and more teeth wiggling. Perhaps I'm just on higher alert than I need to be.
I'll put them back in shortly and, I think, if the top one still feels too tight, I may phone, if only to enquire..
I'd really rather they were looser than so tight feeling. Hopefully some shrinkage of the gums will take off some of the pressure and strain that I feel like the remaining teeth seem to be under.
I realise it is still very early days. Really trying hard to work on my patience... :)

Ilovemydentistreally,

:grouphug: You are doing so well and have alot of patience with this process. Its not an easy one at all and a bit scary at times going through all this!! I hope the wiggliness and tightness feeling goes away and can let your gums breath for a moment normal..

Thanks, krlovesherkids777. You never judge. :)
I haven't put them in yet. Kind of juggling a few problems right now. One main issue is that I have this diazepam addiction. (On a whole different forum for that...) I developed mental issues in 2010, did so much therapy and training but none of it helped. I knew that diazepam was one way to just get on with life. Having kids, I just felt it was more important to get busy being normal. So I found an online supplier and started self medicating. 4 years ago I decided it was time to quit with the illegal behaviour. I lasted 16 days in cold turkey before some serious withdrawals started. Realised my life was at risk so called a doctor for some advice. He was so worried and ordered me down, reinstating me onto a clinically effective dose. He could see by my file that I had tried all other available avenues and figured that dependency was a small price to pay to be able and stable. Then a year later he moved on and I got a new doc who is obsessed with " curing" addiction. He started reducing me at a very harsh pace and was relentless. Life just got horrible. :( I had to cut back on everything. Gave up on a university course, became a total mess and ceased to be able to live any kind of meaningful life. It was a real issue but he eventually conceded that I wasn't abusing it and that I maybe did warrant continued dependency. It's such a low dose and it works. I can go days without but, bottom line is I need it to tackle certain things. I have used double doses to get, finally, to the dentist. I do the same with things like flying, getting out the house etc. But he's constantly trying to stop prescribing. We are in a perpetual tug-o-war about it. It's just something that works for me. It shouldn't, after all this time and all the science seems to say that it should stop working at all. But it does help me. I was on it as an infant for febrile convulsions but then taken off it suddenly. I guess docs knew less about it back then. But it's like it is hardwired into my system, if that makes any sense.. One thing I can't do is increase the overall dose so I manage by juggling my "allowance" and putting it to use where needed most. I work with some very damaged kids and sometimes need to be more strong than I naturally am. Have one son, one foster daughter with special needs who is much older and one other permanent lad who ended up with us because he was such a "bad lad". Of course he isn't really, what a ridiculous assessment. To me, the fact that I need a few pills to help be the best parent and advocate is pretty trifling.
But I need to measure my meds carefully and this week has a very important hearing regarding the younger lad. My reports have to be absolutely accurate and detailed, plus, on the day, there will be resistance from biological parents who still have legal rights despite never giving a damn and doing so much harm. It's very hard to sit at a table with people like this and not want to just say the facts. I have to be diplomatic and do what is best for the boy. Couldn't do this without some kind of sedation!!
So anyway, I don't have meds to spare for any unforeseen dental stuff. I think I'll be taking a few days off from worrying about my new dentures causing any interference. To cut a long story short. lol.
Sorry for the life story stuff. A bit off topic. Maybe I'm just getting my rant done now so that I won't on the day... Dentures have waited this long, a few more days surely won't break the deal? Sort of hoping that more gum shrinkage will occur and, I guess, I'm postponing teeth stuff for a bit longer. Unless I feel brave. The teeth wobbling seems to have stopped today. Maybe I'll be confidently using dentures within a couple of days. :)

Woo, I sure get the tug of war with your doctor about the diazepam. I take a low dose of Xanax and my doctor wants to argue all the time about it and I just put my foot down and explain why I want to keep taking them. Usually have that argument at least once a year. Anyway, I wanted to respond to your post and tell you that I get it. I’ve had to measure out my pills in the past and it’s hard. You’ve got a lot going on and bless you for all you’re doing for those kids. I also know what you’re going through with your new dentures. And it will get better. I struggled with the swelling and pain when I put them back in. If you’re not able to put them back in, maybe call the dentist and see what they say.

Not much of an update really, but it's been 10 days and I'm still avoiding the dentures more than using them :(
I have been looking at my gums though, where all the extractions have been done. They do look a bit, well, traumatized? :) Poor gums. Teeth are wobbling still, not constantly, but I notice them more at night. Been doing a lot of jaw-clamping in my sleep. Notably, no more grinding going on now. I mean, there is not much left at the back to be grinding with, haha, but I seem to finally have learned to sleep with a relaxed jaw. I keep waking up biting at thin air but I'm pretty sure this a withdrawal symptom regarding the diazepam. Although my doctor is not hassling me right now; it's another issue that I might as well be facing up to. Anyway, regarding my rather weird looking gums: they don't seem to be noticeably shrinking yet, but they are toughening up and certainly feel like they're starting to heal. I'm trying to rebuild my diet and am eating very carefully and being mindful of nutrition. If any more teeth give way; I'd prefer to be ready to eat less, if needed, in the aftermath of any more dental work.
Just trying to adjust to general changes. It was a lot at once, if I think about it. I need to let my mind to get used to things too. Not easy.
However, I'm keeping sight of the long-term and trying forget what was and let go of the shame and self-pity that I still am holding on to. I have been getting help to move forward physically and I'm due to get help to move forward mentally too. Beginning again with mindfulness meditation classes and booked into a Relaxation Workshop to relearn some forgotten coping skills. Maybe learn some new ones too... :)
Anyway, not much change/progress but I felt like updating a little. In case anyone thought I was off and running, carefree with my new dentures. Well, I'm not running, but taking little steps and being very careful.
So far so good, all in all. :) Slowly, yes, but surely...

Back