• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment in 10 years

L

Luzyz

Sorry just feeling the need to post because I'm so proud of myself! But far to embaraaaed to tell anyone I know about all this
So I had my first appointment in over 10 years today, I've had an infected tooth on/off for years and I was fully convinced I'd need all my teeth pulled out, get a brain abscess/sepsis the lot,
Finally went today and I need one tooth out (that is rotten to the roots anyway so I knew that would have to go) and one filling and that's it,
The dentist didn't judge me at all and was really kind, I thought he was going to think I was disgusting I have two teeth missing already and one that was completely rotten but he was so nice and not disgusted or atleast not openly anyway
Hope this is helpful to anyone scared of judgement from the dentist, I had to pay privately but after the problems are sorted I'll register with an NHS dentist if I can because it's pretty expensive

Lucyz,

:welcome: to DFC. and definately no need to apologize at all for posting :) We are glad you did and so we can celebrate this with you!! :welldone::perfect::cheer2:. This is awesome! First off so glad it was far less than you imagined you would need done! So relieving isn't it.. :). and really glad that you found a dentist who was really kind and non judgmental. This is so huge and helpful in our journeys. Just so glad to hear your testimony!!

I am so happy for you... I still can’t bring myself to call and make an appointment. One moment I really want to and finally start treatment so I can live in peace without feeling bad about my teeth constantly and the next moment I am shaking and sick to my stomach and can’t imagine ever calling

I am so happy for you... I still can’t bring myself to call and make an appointment. One moment I really want to and finally start treatment so I can live in peace without feeling bad about my teeth constantly and the next moment I am shaking and sick to my stomach and can’t imagine ever calling

I know that feeling so well, the thing is it's so all consuming isn't it? I worried about my teeth every day for years and years, it's draining!
I'm just back now from having my filling and extraction, and I can honestly say it wasn't bad at all! The injection didn't hurt (didn't even know he'd done it!) and the filling didn't hurt at all just felt a tiny bit strange, it felt like high pressured air more than drilling, but no pain at all and I didn't even notice the extraction until afterwards when he said he'd already done it!
Finding a kind dentist is key he was really understanding and didn't explain anything in scary detail and had me wear the darkest sun glasses so I couldn't see what he was doing.
Hope it's helpful for you to hear that everything was fine and not scarye! Honestly I'm such a wimp with pain and it was completely fine, if you can brave making just that first appointment I promise you it will be such a relief to you, that judgemental scary attitude from dentist seems to be long in the past.
I made my appointment online which helped I think, maybe you could do that? Easier to write down the problems than face having a phone call about it x

Back