• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment in 12 years

L

Laine1109

I have been lurking on this site for over a month now, ever since my teeth started hurting. I've never had a bad experience at the dentist so I don't know where my fear comes from. I haven't been to the dentist since I got my braces off at 18 and I will be 30 next month. Last month I noticed my gums were receding and causing sensitivity so I finally caved and made an appointment with a new dentist. Well today was that appointment and although I cried the entire way there I'm proud of myself for going through with it. I do have 5 cavities that need filled but they aren't very big so we are going to wait until after the deep cleanings and scaling. I honestly thought I would need to have teeth removed and root canals done but I'm so relieved to find out it's nothing serious. They are going to give me nitrous oxide because I've never had a cavity before and I know the sound of the drill is going to hard for me but I'm ready. I'm glad I took the first step.

Finally had my fist root planing and scaling appointment this morning, one half of my mouth is finally clean. As much as I was dreading it for months it honestly wasn't as bad as I expected. The injections to get numb were the worst part. I have some gum recession on the bottom front teeth so after the cleaning was done my roots are exposed on one tooth. The dentist said now that the plaque is gone my gums should heal enough to cover the roots. I'm in a bit of pain now but I think it's from having my mouth open for over 2 hours. I feel silly for avoiding the dentist for so long. I feel like I can get through the next part of my deep cleaning and fill those little cavities no problem. I made a promise to myself to never miss a regular cleaning again.

That’s great! such A great feeling. Be proud of yourself!

Back