• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment in 26 years on Monday - SO MUCH WORK needs done

M

MissM250

Heya all!

I posted earlier this week about my counselling appointment with my new dentist. I'm getting closer to the appointment and I'm getting anxious.

I found an amazing dentist office and they seem wonderful so far.

My biggest anxieties are that I'll pass out when I walk in (has happened before) and that I'll sob the whole time. The counsellor assured me they have patients who cry, scream, pass out, the works, and they are gentle with them and work with them at their pace.

My other massive anxiety is the cost. Now, luckily I have dental insurance, but it only covers 65% of major work, all of which I need. I'm already in debt, but this cannot wait any longer. I feel like such a failure.

Hubby is being SO supportive, and has dealt with my mouth the way it is for many years. I give him a world of credit for not giving up on me, I'm in quite bad shape mouth-wise ( I have a pic in the Journals section if you'd like to see)

Please, please please let this weekend pass quickly. I just want this over with.

We are with you, MissM250, you got this! And you have your amazing hubby and a fantastic dental team and they will be here to carry you through this if things get tough. You are doing great.

You mentioned passing out before, that sounds pretty scary. Was there something particular that you felt caused it? And how did the staff deal with it back then?

I wished dental care wouldn‘t be so expensive. Dealing with anxiety is enough, even without cost and cost can be scary. To calm your mind a bit, discussing cost belongs to the communication with your dentist and most dentists will be able to help you to figure out how to go about things. You can spread out the treatment by starting with the most essential things and plan from there or chose options that are more affordable. In any case, what we do not know is always scary so you may feel much lighter after you have the information.

Fingers crossed for the weekend to pass quickly! :clover:

Ok, now the anxiety is getting fierce. I keep having to bring myself down from almost having a panic attack. I know I can do this, I know it's just tests. I can't stop wanting to cancel the appointment. I'm not GOING to, but the shakes and the lump in my throat just keep making me feel worse. I'm going to do some self care to try to help. Long shower with all the luxurious bath products, a few episodes of a comfort show, and a lot of cuddling with the husband. I'm GOING to go tomorrow, no matter how hard I cry, no matter how much I feel sick, I'm GOING. I'm so ready to be out of pain and be able to EAT again, smile again, feel less guilt again. I've got this. I've GOT this! :)

Good luck for today and let us know how it went! :grouphug:

I'm just working currently as I wait for the time to come that I need to grab my bus. I'm SO sick to my stomach. I'm trying, I really am. This is HARD.

Omg you all. I did it. I went. I saw the dentist. I got my x-rays. He was impressed that my jaw bone was still so strong. He's going to make me dental bridges, and says once I can afford them, I'm going to have perfect jaws for implants. I can't believe that's over. They were so freaking sweet. Kind. Caring. Positive. I'm beside myself with relief.

Still sitting here stunned that I did it. Alone. With no meds. I just DID it. I don't know how I'm going to do with the 3 cleanings over the next 3 weeks, but TODAY is done. The (for me) scariest part. Getting in that chair and not throwing up, not passing out, and not wanting to hit the dentist. I did panic a bit when he was touching me, but I just kept breathing and the hygenist was right there in view. Whewwwwww.

Well done to you MissM250, it's such a massive achievement getting through the door isn't it and a bonus you didn't throw up :) ! I think I was stunned for a few days or even weeks - over the past month I have had my first appointment after 30 years, a deep clean, and last Thursday I had 7 extractions - I never thought I would ever manage anything like this because even the thought of injections made me feel ill, but I have done it so far and the relief is immense and I feel so much more healthier for it. Best of luck to you.

That is another part I am really looking forward to. Being healthier. They were STUNNED that I am not in pain all the time. I feel no pain at all, and I am a mangled mess right now. I feel sort of surreal, like the years and years of fear and anxiety and dread are starting to turn into giving me the resolve to keep going. I'm honestly still feeling shaky inside, I'd had some very dark thoughts over the years as one tooth after another fell out, cracked off, or needed work.

I was the same. So many back teeth have fallen out over the years and I always thought that’s ok because no one can see them. The odd pain I had was dealt with ibuprofen and clove oil. I’ve got 40-50% bone loss but I don’t want implants anyway so I’m ok with that. I’ve also like you had dark thoughts over the years but I’ve had to give myself a stern talking to because I want to see my daughter get married one day and meet any grandchildren she may have ?.

That helped push me as well. My son is 19, and I want to see him live his life and I want to be able to be healthy for that. I've heard that once these are dealt with the health benefits are HUGE, and I really need that, my health has taken a DIVE over the last few years, and I honestly think it has a lot to do with these teeth.

Well done+hope the rest goes ok. ?

I'm keeping the anxiety down about the cleaning on Thursday, as it's a female hygienist I won't be panicky. I'm NOT looking forward to having the dentist work on me, but I'm GOING to get through. I'm going to beat this fear. One step at a time, right?

I got my treatment plan. THANK GOSH FOR GOOD INSURANCE. Before insurance, my treatment cost is 28k. I need 9 extractions, 4 crowns, 10 fillings, 4 root canals, a partial upper denture, an upper bridge, and a partial lower denture. They are 100% willing to work within my insurance, comfort level, and time frame. I threw up when I saw the cost, but I just looked at my insurance, and the only thing that isn't 100% covered is the partials and bridges. I am SO SO lucky. WHEW, now that I know, now I am ready. LETS DO THIS.

I went to my first cleaning today. They were SO great about making sure I was ok (I have PTSD from being touched inappropriately by an orthodontist) and they froze me very well. Cleaned all my bottom teeth. I'll take a pic once the freezing is out. 2 more cleanings to go! :) I'm feeling stronger already.

Not the best pic, but they're clean and shiny. Next week we work on the top. I'm so scared but so excited.

Attachments

• 16070408427173763660196288296419.jpg
    16070408427173763660196288296419.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 34
I saw this after reading your journal, and the difference is absolutely amazing. Well done ??!!!

So, I'm having 6 appointments this month. 3 cleanings, 2 fillings, 3 root canals and 6 extractions. WHEW. I'm not slowing down though, I can't. I just need to keep my head up and let the work happen.

I just got all my appointments. 2 appointments per week for the next 3 weeks. I'm sick to my stomach, so I'm taking this time to try to use all my CBT tools. I CAN do this, I know I can.

I'm on the bus to my first major appointment. It's the smallest of them all, two fillings and an extraction. I'll be under nitrous, so I'm pleased about that. My stomach is in knots, and I'm trembling, but I know I can do this! Using my breathing exercises to get me through this alone time. I'll see you all on the other side!

Back