• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment in 6 years

L

Lauralouise101

I’ve been scared of the dentist after some bad experiences when I was young - an orthodontist telling me to stop being ridiculous when I said I was in pain, a dentist telling me he was just going to have a look and then actually injected me and others. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and haven’t been to the dentist since. I was working up the courage a couple of years ago but then covid happened and I felt unable to go out until I got vaccinated.

Yesterday I finally made an appointment and will be going on Friday! I explained my anxiety and was told the dentist I’m seeing is good with these situations and is very calming but I’m soooo nervous.

I can see that I have some gum recession in my front bottom teeth which are also shifting back to their pre brace positions. I no doubt have build ups of plaque / tartar as well. I don’t have any pain and there’s never been any blood when I brush or floss so I’m hoping this is positive but the gum recession is now really worrying me.

My stomach has been churning ever since I made the appointment - I’m so scared I’ve ruined my teeth because of my anxiety.

Welcome! And well done for making an appointment!

I was quite similar to you, I thought my teeth were ruined, but I had never had any pain or issues. When I first went to a dentist after 15 years, I was relieved to find nothing was wrong. If you're taking care of your teeth, hopefully you won't have many issues.

Good luck for Friday ?

Thank you! I’m so nervous, I can’t stop thinking about it. But I keep telling myself that it will just be a check up, the worst that can happen is that they tell me what needs doing, they won’t actually do anything on Friday.

Also, they can’t really say ‘you should have come sooner’ as they have only recently started routine appointments again after covid so no ones really gone in 18 months.

That’s great that your teeth were fine, it must have been such a relief.

I’ve been right where you are about three months ago. I was terrified. I could barely eat and sleep for days prior to my appointment. But I made it and you will, too! What we imagine will happen is usually not what actually happens. When this is all over, you will feel so much better! Hang in there, it’s going to be okay.

I’ve been right where you are about three months ago. I was terrified. I could barely eat and sleep for days prior to my appointment. But I made it and you will, too! What we imagine will happen is usually not what actually happens. When this is all over, you will feel so much better! Hang in there, it’s going to be okay.

Thanks for your support. Today has been another day of anxiety and I’ve just had a panic attack about it. I just want it to be over. Every time I walk passed a mirror I look at my teeth and find something I haven’t noticed before and panic about it. The rational part of my brain knows this is silly, but at the moment the anxious part is winning.

Its been helpful reading comments on here about treatments being painless, even extractions.

I know! It's impossible to be rational about this; our brains just don't do rational when it comes to the dentist. All we can do is manage our anxiety. Anytime the anxiety pops up, I say: "I am not going to think about this right now because it ruins today." I practice breathing through the anxiety and distraction. It's not easy, but if I can do it...you can do it! Keep coming back here for support. It has helped me so much.

I know! It's impossible to be rational about this; our brains just don't do rational when it comes to the dentist. All we can do is manage our anxiety. Anytime the anxiety pops up, I say: "I am not going to think about this right now because it ruins today." I practice breathing through the anxiety and distraction. It's not easy, but if I can do it...you can do it! Keep coming back here for support. It has helped me so much.

Thank you. I’ve only recently found this site but it’s amazing and has already helped me so much, reassuring me on different treatments and making me feel not alone and the only one who feels like this. To calm down earlier I told myself I was excited, not nervous. Excited to get the check up over as it’ll be a massive achievement. As I don’t have any pain, any recommended treatment presumably wouldn’t have to be right away so I will have time to process and do what’s right for me once I know what I’m dealing with. I’m expecting to have to have a clean with the hygienist but will wait for the dentist to see what’s what before booking anything else.

If it all goes well, I’d love to be able to get invisalign on my bottom teeth as they’re moving back to pre brace position and food gets stuck between the teeth easier the more they move. I’d never have a normal brace again - that was a horrible experience. But invisalign looks basically like wearing a retainer which was ok.

Back