• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment with Dr Haas, in 15 years on Monday

mcanadab

mcanadab

Hello everyone.

After suffering for years I now have made my first appointment with Dr Nathan Haas in Toronto on Monday!!!!

I am SO SCARED.

My wisdom teeth are rotted to the gum line. They have basically been ruining my life for five years now. My Dad had me take my braces off myself when I was young with plyers so all the leftover glue has ruined my front teeth. However, its the wisdom teeth that are killing me, keeping me up at night. etc.

I am SO SCARED. I do not have a fear of needles, nor the drill or anything like that. I have three main fears.

1. Tooth pulling. Never had it done. Very scared.
2. The diagnosis. I have irrational fears he is going to tell me I have tumours growing all through my jaw and head because of this. It's silly but the fear is strong.
3. The cost. I told him I cannot afford treatment in a lump sum. He said he just wants to start out with the first appointment with xrays, which is around $250.00...we can afford that. I told him I CAN afford monthly payments and I can afford appointments that are under $500.00 at a time. I just won't be able to afford a lump sum...I am hoping he can help.

Well thanks everyone. I am really scared but I am so tired of living this way. The saltwater rinses, the vitamins, the anxiety, the sleepless nights, the fear.

First of all - Well Done, you've taken the first step and that's movement! And I'm sure you'll find all the support and encouragement you'll need here to keep you going forward.

Isn't it strange - you've lived in fear all these years and been unable to take any action because of it and now you've taken some action, it's filled you with fears! At this stage it feels that you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Keep a really clear image of yourself at the end of your treatments, relaxed, happy & above all - smiling, how good is that going to be?

I just can't wait to be honest. I am scared but I am at the point that I am SO DONE living like this. The sleepless nights, the pain, the advil, everything! I take calcium, vitamin C, vitamins B, etc all because I am scared my wisdom teeth have been killing me.

I am so afraid I won't be able to afford the treatment. I am praying he can work out a schedual we can afford. But the bottom line is I need to take this first step. Even though I am fairly sure I need extensive work, maybe it will be more affordable then I've built it up in my mind.

Thanks for your reply. Sometimes reading this forum is all that keeps me going even though I don't post much.

Congratulations on making the call! I think that's the hardest part :) Try to remember that you're getting help and that things will get better from here, so it's all definitely a good thing and you're going to be fine sooner than you think.

Having your wisdom teeth pulled can be scary, but it's really nothing. I had mine pulled when I was 17 because they were growing in the wrong direction in my head (two of them) and they were all impacted. You're going to be fine :)

Thanks for you encouragement. Monday will just be the xrays and taking a peek. Soon enough the extraction. I am keeping calm by remembering it's one step at a time.

Dr. Nathan Haas (if that's him we're talking about) is kind and patient. If you want to read more, check out my support forum post and you'll see what incredible lengthens he went to to assist me during an exam and X-rays.

His staff were a bit clueless about PTSD but he knew all about my struggles and worked very hard to help me feel as safe as possible. That was his ultimate goal.

Hi Macanadab My teeth was like that with braces years ago.

Dave:)

Thanks for the replies.

I am honestly shocked at how good I am feeling about my upcoming appointment, but of course it's only Thursday. hehehe. I am mostly scared of the cost and the possibility I won't be able to get treatment if a payment plan can't be worked out. But I've decided to worry about that AFTER I know what work I need.

In my head, I have the worst mouth in history. But reading other peoples stories and talking to others has made me realize I might need anything from simple wisdom teeth extraction. But I won't know that until after Monday. I know I need a lot of cosmetic work done but honestly financially, I want to take care of whats hurting and what is needed HEALTH wise. So if I can get payments worked out for that stuff, I can later concentrate on getting my cosmetic stuff.

We'll see. Thanks for all the encourgement. Reading this forum and even helping others is very helpful.

My appointment is tomorrow. I am actually feeling pretty good most of the time. I did have a panic attack yesterday however. I have panic disorder. Well that's what they call it, I myself believe its all linked to my worries about my teeth. I have been dealing with bad teeth for so long that now I have a lot of health anxiety.

In any case, I am ready for my appointment. My biggest fear is he can't do payment plans and I can't afford it. But the first step is him telling me what I need! So this is huge enough.

Ugh feeling so freaked out by everything mostly now. I hope I can sleep tonight!

good for you i wish you a peaceful visit

Hello~! Back from my appointment. (hmmm maybe I should do a journal as I am JUST starting out on my journey)

Dr Nathan Haas was perfect. SO comfortable. Totally calming enviroment. He is just so nice! Today I had xrays and just exam.

I have to have my two upper wisdom teeth extracted. Dr Haas made me an appointment at the oral surgeon he uses, for a consultation next week. However of my molars is a bigger concern which is funny it never hurts at all but is infected and draining into my lymph node. I am now on antibiotics. (amox.)

He has a tv above the chair with cable on...but then he shows you your xrays up there. He then took detailed photos of each tooth in question and also looks those up on the screen. At first I thought "no way I am not looking" feeling like it would make me more anxiety filled. But it actually worked the opposite. I was so amazed with the technology and he explained the problem in each photo he took (16 images) and on each tooth.

So not much to report because I still have to see about the cost from the surgeon but I am really happy that the "unknown" is now "known"....I feel like I have a scary road ahead but I also feel like tonight will be a great sleep knowing everything thats going on in my mouth. I thought that might be more scary but it's actually helped HUGE knowing!

Tomorrow is my second appointment. I actually have two appointments. One with Dr Haas (dentist) then with the oral surgeon.

I am really scared as tomorrow is the day they will tell me how much everything will cost. It's been keeping me up at night with worry as we have little money. (actually my teeth have been KILLING me at night with pain so thats also keeping me up)

I am nervous about the procedure as well but I believe all will be explained to me tomorrow and the cost and when the extractions will be.

Wish me luck.

Alright so I am back with my costs and procedures.

My wisdom tooth removal at oral surgeon with general anesthesia. I will be getting all four wisdom teeth out, as well as one molar so five teeth in total. He said it looked like it will go just fine and have no problems. Total cost: $2600.00 we payed half today.

Dentist was also seen today for all my fillings, and messed up (decayed) front side teeth...total cost whenever I want to do it: $2700.00

So my appointment for extractions is on November 26th. I am scared about us being in debt and the procedure. We'll see how it goes.

Appointment is over....5 teeth taken out. I am almost laughing at how much easier it was then I had built up in my head. 15 years of putting it off for NO REASON AT ALL!!! I feel FANTASTIC and it's only been 6 hours since the surgery.

I will post more in depth in the success forum. :jump::jump::jump::jump:

Appointment is over....5 teeth taken out. I am almost laughing at how much easier it was then I had built up in my head. 15 years of putting it off for NO REASON AT ALL!!! I feel FANTASTIC and it's only been 6 hours since the surgery.

I will post more in depth in the success forum. :jump::jump::jump::jump:

I am so happy it went well :) Congrats.

About the money, I know its expensive, it will cost me 10 000$ and must I say at that price my teeth arent even cleaned! I took a 2nd job to help pay that amount.

I have my 2nd appointment this Monday... going under sedation (deep sedation, its an IV sedation, but not the conscious one or GA, altought I wonder if it aint conscious but the dentist said deep cause he tought I was afraid of being "awake"). Anyway... I will be like sleeping. I am still scrared, but a little less... so I am hopefull that with time, I wont be scared anymore, well not to the extent of avoiding the dentist.

Congrats again!!! :jump:

Back