• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Appointment

G

Former Member
today i went to the dentist for the first time in forever.i was embarassed to go because of the shape of my teeth .my front ones espeacialy.all four top teeth are cracked,broken ,and need repair.
i made the appointment the day i took my daughter for her cleaning.on that day i developed an absess in one of my back teeth.that was about 5 days ago.so the last 5 days instead of focusing on reasons not to go to the dentist i just focused on the pain i felt in my face neck and head.I had to go to the doctors on monday so my doctor gave me a prescription of penicillan.Today finally got here ,my job is undergoing reovations so I didnt have to go in. Around 1030a.m. i realized waiting for the 3:30 p.m appointment was going to bother me so i went in and hung around till about 3:pm...I got to the dentist office in a hurray ,only about a 5 minute drive.When i was called in ,i explained to her everthing i felt.i told her i was asshamed of coming to the dentist because of shape i let my teeth get in..She made me feel relaxed, she looked at everytooth and said she was more concerned about my gums than my teeth. so the plan was get a cleaning today and then for my second visit on this thursday to get a full set of x-rays.I need to have 5 back teeth removed so i must go to a oral surgen, maybe tommorow just for the tooth in the back thats bothering me but well see.during the visit she said on saturday a man came in who hadn't been to the dentist in 10 years. She then said we usally dont see that in this office and I was the second in the week , we both laughed.It's a start and a long raod ahead. Maybe ill have some good things to say after my next visit.your stories helped me get over my fear and I hope this helps all of you..good luck
 :hidesbehindsofa:

Congratulations :cheers: -

I know how hard this must have been for you, but - YOU DID IT :jump:!!!

Please keep us updated :)!

well today i went to the oral surgen and had 2 teeth removed that were killing me.it wasnt bad at all.so far so good .tommorow i will go to the dentist to get a full set of exrays .i know the process of getting my teeth fixed will take awile but i wish i could go everyday.next week i have to get the other 3 bad teeth removed ,the oral surgen told me to wait till these ones that i got pulled today to heal.the aftermath of teeth extraction is the worst part.i hate having this gause in my mouth...IT'S WORTH IT THOUGH..

later

keegan2703(Guest) said:
i know the process of getting my teeth fixed will take awile but i wish i could go everyday.

:respect:

Well, I've never heard of anyone wanting to go "everyday", but good for you for keeping a postive attitude! ;D You'll have a new smile in no time.

Good luck on your remaining extractions.

-James

i went for the full set of ex rays on thursday and i must say that the dentist i chose is an older man and kinda a prick..my daughter had to get a cavity filled and i heard him like yelling at her to keep her hands down.she was scared and i told her after that that she would go somewhere else.Trust me when i say i wanted to walk out of there cause when i got the teeth extracted the other day four different dentist looked in my mouth and all of them were nice and didnt insult me.when it was my turn to get the xrays after my daughters filling he made several coments that kinda pissed me off but i shrugged them off.he did say that the good teeth that i have were teeth
that other people would die to have.Also he said you came this far keep going.i will go back but my daughter ill take somewhere else...bye for now

:o No dentist should ever yell at a patient, much less a small child. This is how people end up with fears of the dentist and never go back. :mad:

Good for you for getting your daughter out of that type of environment. Are you sure you want to continue using this dentist for yourself? If you are not having good feelings about the guy, it may be wise to listen to your gut and find someone else, if possible.

Side question: are parents allowed to be in the treatment room with their children? Or is that usually discouraged? It seems to me that even a routine visit may seem overwhelming for a child.

-James

I totally agree with James - don't go back to that guy! Why take your custom to someone who's quite obviously stuck in the middle ages when there are tons of caring dentists around? I might also consider lodging a complaint about him with the dental office, but you may not feel like doing that. Just something to consider.

Anyway - as James already said, switch dentists - not just for your daughter, but also for yourself!

To James: there's a bit of an Atlantic divide on letting parents into the treatment room. I believe in the UK it's generally accepted (according to one survey, over 90% of UK dentists don't have a problem with it), whereas in the US opinions among dentists are much more mixed (I'd say maybe 60-70% don't want parents near the treatment room). So the best thing to do is ask about their policy beforehand :). Personally, I would feel much happier with dentists who *do* allow parents in the treatment room.