• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appt in 30 yrs

O

Overitall

Today was my first dental appointment in 30 years. I actually made it and didn't cancel, which was a massive success of its own. The dentist did confirm that my teeth are pretty bad. She said they could be saved with extensive work and appointments, but she didn't think that was best for me with my fear of dentists. She has suggested implant supported dentures or full dentures. Of course she says implant supported would be the way to go. The cost is crazy high, but I need to decide what to do. Still very fearful and scared to make the wrong choice. And very scared about the procedures. But today's appointment was babystep #1 and I atleast survived without a full on meltdown!

Hey congrats on the appointment! To me, it felt like the biggest step. The rest of the steps are scary, but the biggest hurdle is hearing what needs to be done.

Good luck figuring out what option you choose! I know a lot of people love the implant supported dentures since it’s easier to eat and helps stop bone loss, but many on here are happy with regular dentures too. Implants should be cheaper…hopefully eventually they will be so more people can get them without breaking the bank

Congrats! That’s huge! I went after 17 years about 1.5 years ago, and it was such a life changer. I would definitely get a treatment plan that’s not implants and compare them. Every time you’re in the chair, you build trust. I had about 4-5 appointments after my initial consult to get everything fixed, and then decided to get Invisalign (where I’ve had about 15 appointments so far) and it gets easier and easier. Compare the options, and make the decision best for you! Don’t let fear alone be a reason to do implants because you made that first appointment and you can do anything!

Please get a second opinion from a good dentist with good reviews. Unfortunately people who haven't had recent dental care can be exploited by dentists who are in it for the money. My co-worker keeps up with her teeth. Our insurance changed and she went to a new dentist who told her she had 17 cavities that needed filled. Total BS and all for the money.

Appreciate the advice. I will for sure get another opinion, but I wasn't surprised by this. I have had dental problems since I was a kid unfortunately. This particular dentist came very highly recommended!

Hi Overitall,

well done on going! Hope you are really proud of yourself! ;)
You mentioned in your first post that you still felt very fearful, but needed to decide what to do and that you are worried about making the wrong decision. Would you like to write a bit more about this? What are the different options you are considering?

All the best wishes and Merry Christmas :xmastree:

Hi Enarate....I'm pretty much just deciding if I am going to have a full dental clearance and traditional dentures or a full clearance with implant supported dentures. The idea of having all my teeth removed has me scared, just because I know there will be pain, and I read too much, thus making myself anxious. The cost difference is obviously significant, and for me it's a huge part of the decision. I hate the idea of buying a new car for my mouth, so to speak, but also the implant dentures seem to be more longterm and easier to adjust to. It's just so much to figure it out. I'm also the type of person that has to just barrel thru things as quickly as possible once I get the ball rolling. So I need ro decide quickly so I can move forward quickly and reduce the time for panic, anxiety, and over thinking! :)

Back