• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First cleaning in nearly 8 years and scared

B

BMR777

Hi Everyone! I've got a cleaning scheduled for this weekend and it's my first one in nearly 8 years. I'm scared, scared of the pain and scared that I will have cavities.

I saw my dentist in November for some tooth pain and he checked all my left upper teeth and didn't find any cavities. He said I had a form of TMJ, which is painful. Other than that, he didn't say anything else, which makes me hope that I can get out of there without any cavities.

I don't have any tooth pain but I do have tooth pain. Due to the TMJ I keep feeling pain in my jaw that I can swear is tooth pain, but it keeps bouncing around so I'm pretty sure it's jaw vs tooth pain.

As far as brushing, I brush daily in the morning and in the last few months I have also started brushing in the evening as well and and flossing every once in a while. I think that the only reason that my teeth have held up so well thus far is that I only drink water, so it flushes my mouth out.

What are the chances I get out of the cleaning without any cavities?

At least for my appointment I'm getting nitrous to help me with my nerves. :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum. If your dentist took a thorough look and saw no issues, I doubt the hygienist would find any!

TMJ pain can affect many different areas. I've experienced that myself. It's good to remind yourself of that when you have pain, because focusing on it and worrying over what it might be can make it worse.

Did you get any x-rays at your last check-up?

Nitrous is really good and has helped a lot of people here. :) Good luck with your appointment! :hug4:

Thanks! I did get xrays, just on my left side. I'm hoping for no issues but I don't know how well the dentist was looking at the rest of my mouth last time since just the left side hurt.