• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First contact

P

Penbaro

HELP! Having trouble making that first phone call! Think I've found the right dentist that says they help nervous patients (presume that includes terrified!) but just can't pick up that phone. Any miracle cures?:hidesbehindsofa:

Send an email or get someone else to call for you?

Hi penbaro, I was just the same, honest. I am agoraphobic and hadnt seen a dentist in 20 somethings years because of it.Could hardly get to the end of the street let alone actually going to the dentist! It got so I simply had to go but couldnt see a way of actually getting there let alone staying there long enough to have anything done. I paced up and down looking at the phone..went and made a cuppa then just went for it. I phoned the dentist and asked to speak to a dental nurse because I felt the need to explain my situation first to someone other than the receptionist [who was very nice].My dental practice said they helped nervous patients too and boy was I nervous! The dental nurse rang me back and after a chat she made me an appointment and suggested I ask my gp for something to help calm my nerves which I did. He gave me a tablet which I took an hour and a half before my appointment. I didnt think it had worked at first, I felt just my normal self, I wasnt unusually 'happy' or woozy or anything but it had worked because my heart wasnt pounding and my legs werent shaking. I asked friends to come with me which really did help, and I managed to have a check up and an xray the first visit and they let my friend come into the room with me. Last week I had the nasty tooth out. I had made an early appointment, the first of the day which helped because I hadnt time to think about it. I took my tablet from the gp and my friends came with me again.Again they let my friend sit in. My dentist rubbed a numbing gel on my gum which was absolutely brilliant because I didnt feel anything...didnt feel the injection...nothing. All I felt of the extraction was a little painless prodding. All done in a couple of minutes. Honest it was so painless and so quick, so much so I hadnt the time to even think about where I was or my agoraphobic situation. I am amazed at how much the denists has changed since my last visit years ago. All so much more relaxed, there wasnt that smell of...well, whatever it was...a dentists smell. The chair faced the door instead of the frosted window so there were no comings and goings of folk behind your back. The radio was on...it was nice and warm...there was a puzzle to read on the ceiling..and the dentist didnt 'disappear' for ages after the injection, like they used to do, I hated that! [they were probably seeing to another patient inbetween]. My dentist stayed with me all the time.
Im sorry I seem to have rambled on a bit.
If I can do it, Im convinced you can. No one was worse than me, truly.
I know its hard, I really do...just go for it...make that call. You will feel so much better for getting that far, I know you will.
I wish you all the best, I really do. Good luck Xxx

Thank you so much for that, I booked an appointment this morning for 4th May. They were so helpful and seemed to completely understood where I was coming from. I feel so much better at the moment, I've no doubt I'll start panicking as it gets closer but I think I can cope. I'm fed up with my life being ruled by it, a day doesn't go by when I don't think of it. I have two children and am determined not to pass this curse on to them.

Penbaro, I was exactly the same & finally plucked up the coutrage to send an email. I got an appt within 24 hours which is just as well as I might have bottled it & now have an appt at the end of May for treatment. I was so emtional speaking about my fear and my dentist was amazing. I felt such a sense of relief and pride walking out the surgery & now just can't wait to get it over and done with and get my confidence back. I'm absolutely petrified but I'm 100% sure I'm in good hands :)

Good Luck!!! x

Thanks for that . I have my first appointment on Wednesday. The receptionist was friendly and very understanding. I'm starting to get uptight to say the least now, anybody any strategies to help? I'm so embarrassed about my teeth.:o

!!!GOOD JOB!!!
I did the same thing...emailed, communicated my complete terror, and walked in to an appointment of dental folks completely prepared to handle me and my issues. You've done SO WELL!. The 30 minutes before your appointment might feel like, well, HELL...but the minutes during and after will hopefully be HEAVEN. You'll feel relief, compassion, HOPE.
Bravo and best wishes...I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday, and mentally cheering you on!

Thanks so much for that, it helps knowing that there are other people that know how you feel. One day to go and I'm coping so far. It's been like the devil on my shoulder all my life, I just want it gone now.:sick:

Survived! The dentist and her assistant were wonderful and sympathetic. ( I burst into tears!) You were right, half hour before - dreadful but the appointment was fine. I now have another three to cope with, but I feel MUCH happier about them.:thumbsup:

So proud of you, Penbaro! I also made first contact by e-mail. I have an appointment tomorrow to address issues that have come up due to a 10 year neglect. I am feeling the same panic that you did, just thinking about it. I can only imagine how I'll feel in the morning getting ready for the appointment!

HELP! Having trouble making that first phone call! Think I've found the right dentist that says they help nervous patients (presume that includes terrified!) but just can't pick up that phone. Any miracle cures?:hidesbehindsofa:

PLEASE pick up the phone because if you can do that it means the rest of us can,too! Good Luck

!!!BRAVO!!!
So very pleased to hear that your new dental team made you comfortable. Trusting them is your first weapon in the phobia battle, and it's a strong one.
Now...it's going to keep getting better!

Back