• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

first dentist appt in 10 years tmrw morning

Q

queensteph77

Im so scared! I have it in my head that I have to do this, but then I thought I could just skip it and make it later when i get my nerve up again but Im not sure if I can take much more of the pain in my mouth anymore.
Would they do anything besides cleaning tmrw? Would they fill small cavities, xrays? I know my husband had a broken tooth fixed on his first appt one time. Im kind of wanting everything they can do done, because im scared to death to come back. Even though I know I have to come back to have my wisdom teeth pulled later since they are impacted and sore.
Whats your take on it?

It's up to you what happens at the first appointment along with the time that the dentist has available.
Take some control...make it happen how you want, don't just let it happen to you. Realistically you are likely to have to return for further treatment but if you spent the first appt getting to know the dentist and asking for reassurance you need/available sedation etc it will be time well spent.

Good luck.

Brit gave great advice. I went for the first time in 20 years just three weeks ago and I had a plan in my head. First I would do the xrays, then let them poke around and if they could even do a regular cleaning-I would have that done. After that, I would discuss my issues and options and have things done in "baby steps" if necessary. I ended up only needing the cleaning which wasn't as horrible as I had imagined considering all of the buildup I had. Just remember, YOU are in control.

I agree with Brit! When I see a phobic patient I only do what is comfortable for the patient. It might be as little as meeting with them and the patient showing me a picture of their mouth and discussing how to best approach further appointments. The young woman who had a picture of her mouth wouldn't even look at me at the first appointment!

Well you will all be glad to know that Im still alive!!! Who knew????

I have two cavities, which shocked me. I thought I would have 100.

Most of my problem is gum issues. I have to have that deep pocket cleaning done in 4 times and my wisdom teeth removed. I go tommorow morning for an initial cleaning and tuesday to meet with the oral surgeon.
Im not going to lie and at one point, i wanted to cry I was so nervous, embarrased, uncomfortable. They kind of were quiet. Didnt set me at ease as much as I thought they would. BUT on the other hand, I feel a huge sense of relief that I went and im not turning back now. I want a healthy mouth more than i want anything else in the world right now.

I appreciate all your support! Hopefully I can help others in the future!
Here is to DAY ONE of my Journey:jump:

Well done for going.
I went for the first time in 20 years on Monday morning as I had a broken tooth.
The dentist managed to repair the tooth with a fairly large filling... which still feels a bit weird!!
I have to go back for 1 other small filling and thats it. I am by no way a converted fan of the dentist, but I have every intention now to keep going for my 6 monthly check-ups to try and minimise any further work.

Well done again

Back