• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

~ First dentist appt in two years, scared for the future

thelovelyghost

thelovelyghost

Hi there! I'm Z, and new to the thread.

I've just been to my first appointment in two years and well, it was dreadfully nervewracking. I made my mom come with me for moral support, as just walking into the building made me feel ill.

~

A bit of background. My teeth have always been...just okay. I had a couple of fillings as a preteen and a couple of sensitive teeth. At some point in early 2015, the molar with my filling in broke off, so of course I had to go see a dentist for repairs. I was in university at the time, and had to find one locally. I found this lovely lady who managed to clean and refill the broken tooth. I bought one of my friends with me and I got a sticker for being a brave girl and even he got a sticker for being moral support lol. That was nice. The appointment was okay, even though the drilling got to me.

So fast forward to last year April 2016, working on my dissertation, the same tooth starts giving me aches! I break out a couple of painkillers and ignore it, what with uni work and work work being my main priorities, (Also I was a broke uni student). I talk with my mum and start freaking out at the prospect of a root canal on that tooth, as the pain came and went occasionally over the next few months.

N O, I thought.

I just about got through my last appointment, and that was just a repair filling. So I've ignored it out of fear. Didn't mention the pain to anyone, avoided the topic, when it was bought up, I just wanted to cry at the thought and honestly, was a bit embarrassed.

Fast Forward to Jan this year, a tooth on the right side (opposite side to achy molar) begins to play up, and is extremely sensitive to sweet foods and hot foods. I knew I couldn't live with not being able to enjoy my food or eat properly, so I kept saying I'd go to the dentist. Never did, again out of fear.

Last week, it took a little push from my mum to actually walk up into the building and register. I was happy with that first step until the nurse asked if I wanted to book an appointment which...I really wasn't ready for. But before I could say no my mom told the nurse I did, and they got me in for today..which is where I've just been.

I've been feeling nervously sick in the days leading up to it. But I went today, (the dentist was really nice and is my mothers and stepdads dentist too) and got a couple of xrays and a checkup. (Go me!)

This is where I TRULY freak out. I'm told I need 3-4 fillings and a R O O T C A N A L.

I almost cried in the seat but held it in long enough to get home. They tell me the options are root canal or extraction and I'm really REALLY not ready to lose a tooth right now, so I've opted for a root canal which is scheduled around May 2nd.

I got home, went straight to my room and cried for half an hour. I'm terrified of this. I feel like I cant enjoy anything because I'm just waiting for the inevitable. I'm scared of the pain and whats to come and it makes me so upset everytime I think about it. My boyfriend will be coming with me to my next appointment as I CANNOT go alone.

~

TL/DR Root canal on decayed but filled molar and 3-4 fillings expected in a week or so. Not all done at once but they are happening. I'm scared, paranoid and afraid and I cry everytime I think about it. Do they hurt? Does anyone have any stories, or experiences? I know the dentist said it won't hurt but I'd like to hear others. Mom just says it's uncomfortable rather than painful. I just don't know what to expect and it's making my head hurt.

Thank you and sorry if this is super long!
xx

I want I write a longer message when I have time, but wanted to say quickly that I've had 4 root canals (5 if you count the retreatment) and none of them have been painful or even uncomfortable. They've all been on 2nd molars so they've been long 90 min... so the worst part of it is that it's boring and long. I will write more later.

Ok... so for the longer story...

I was beyond terrified before my first fillings and even more so before my first root canal. I was in near panic attack state when I got to the office. I was doing everything I could to just hold it together and, as a result, could barely even talk. I was also in so much pain that I knew I would do just about anything to get rid of the pain. I had no idea how instant the relief would be. I'm in the US and here a lot of dentists don't do root canals (especially on back teeth) so I was referred to an endodontist which made me even more terrified because I trusted my dentist by that point, but was very skeptical to trust any other dentist. He ended up being super nice and I really felt nothing. I took 800mg before leaving the office, but I honestly don't think I needed it because when the numbing and ibuprofen wore off I felt absolutely no pain at all. After weeks of agony, it was an amazing relief. I've had 3 other root canals and 1 retreatment and they've all been pretty much the same.

Aside from pain, is there anything else that worries you? Have you schedule the appointment yet?

Hang in there!

Ok... so for the longer story...

I was beyond terrified before my first fillings and even more so before my first root canal. I was in near panic attack state when I got to the office. I was doing everything I could to just hold it together and, as a result, could barely even talk. I was also in so much pain that I knew I would do just about anything to get rid of the pain. I had no idea how instant the relief would be. I'm in the US and here a lot of dentists don't do root canals (especially on back teeth) so I was referred to an endodontist which made me even more terrified because I trusted my dentist by that point, but was very skeptical to trust any other dentist. He ended up being super nice and I really felt nothing. I took 800mg before leaving the office, but I honestly don't think I needed it because when the numbing and ibuprofen wore off I felt absolutely no pain at all. After weeks of agony, it was an amazing relief. I've had 3 other root canals and 1 retreatment and they've all been pretty much the same.

Aside from pain, is there anything else that worries you? Have you schedule the appointment yet?

Hang in there!

Ah, thank you so much for this response. ?

Hearing your experience has definitely eased a bit of my worry. Really admire your bravery and I hope I can stay collected like yourself at my appointment! Sorry for the late reply also, I've been away from my laptop for a few days!

So yeah, I have the appointment booked for next Tuesday afternoon, in which I think I'm having my fillings done first!
How long did your root canal take? Did you do it in one sitting? Because I think mine will be done over the span of two appointments, which is good because it breaks up the time a little, but bad because...then I have more panic LOL.

Relieved to hear that you felt nothing, that's always one of my worries and that you were fine afterward! I'm a bit wary of the drill too, the sound is jarring, no matter how loud I play my music, but I suppose it can't be helped!

Again thank you for your reply! You are a star! ?

ETA: Just saw the answer that your root canal took 90 mins! Oops it's been a long day at work!

I've heard root canals can really hurt your jaw because of how long it is, but I've also heard that having your mouth open for that long is the worst part. Was this the case with you? Hearing that always helps ease the buildup anxiety!
Thanks again!

Last edited:
lovelyghost,

I was definitely not calm and collected. Lol! For most of them I had a bite block which is a small rubber piece that you bite down on so you don't have to worry about holding your mouth open. Mine were all done in one sitting. My jaw was a little bit sore after but nothing that even needed ibuprofen.

It's good that you're getting the fillings done first because it will give you a chance to build some trust with you dentist. When that goes well, it may help you to have less anxiety about future appointments.

Try to do as much as you can to distract yourself between now and Tuesday.

I totally understand how scared you are, truly I do. The thing is, if you don't get this work done, you're in for much greater trouble down the road, and major toothaches are just no fun at all. They always seem to hit on a Friday night too, when you can't do much about it.

You can do this..you really truly can! It sounds like your dentist is kind. Communicate with them. Let them know you are afraid and tell them if you need a play by play of what they are doing in your mouth.

Sending you encouraging thoughts and very long distance hugs.

Thank you both for your encouraging words!

At this point, I am still nervous but I'm pumping myself up for tomorrow and the thought of being able to face life with pianless teeth is keeping me calm for the time being.

I'm hoping the fillings wont take too long, purely because my bravery is limited haha! But I'm glad I'm having them first too.

And yes, the thought of my teeth getting worse is also driving me to be brave for tomorrow! Thank you so much for the encouragements and the kind words!

My laptop is undergoing repairs for 8 days so I'll let you know how it went nearer the end of the week!

Again thank you so much!!

?

Good luck tomorrow!!! I don't know if you have a cell phone, but we have a mobile app, if you want to be able to stay connected while you're without a computer. I use the app almost exclusively.

Back