• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dentist visit in 13 years

D

Dolly84

I've never posted here before, but just wanted to say how helpful I've found everyone's posts. So I want to post here in the hope that it helps someone else.

I hadn't visited the dentist in 13 years and was terrified. My phobia had reached the point where I hadn't been able to look in my mouth for years and it would make me feel panicky if anyone talked about dentists or showed me their teeth inside their mouths.

I had 2 broken teeth, 1 of which was at gum level as it had been broken for so long and another tooth that was broken but hadn't been broken for so long. I felt ashamed of my horrible mouth. I was constantly anxious that my teeth would cause pain or worse an abscess and I would have to see a dentist.

Recently I decided enough was enough and I started googling dental phobia and found this forum. Reading everyone's success stories spurred me on to book an appointment at my local dentist. On the day I was so scared but I forced myself to go and it was completely fine! My dentist was so kind, sympathetic and non judgemental. I had an examination and xrays. My tooth that is broken to the gum needs extraction but the other just a filling. My gums are perfect and I have no other cavities! I am booked in for air flow polishing and then I will have the filling and extraction done in one appointment. After that I can have another appointment in 9 months and then I will be on yearly appointments as she has no concerns with my mouth and teeth as I'm clearly looking after them. I'm actually looking forward to my next appointment!

If you are scared please look for a sympathetic dentist. Things really have changed over the last 20 years. Also, things generally are never as bad as you think they will be. I can't believe I wasted so much time on worrying about this and I feel a huge weight has been lifted. Please don't let this fear dominate your life.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story here :) - it really does help others who are in a similar position to take the first step. And, of course, congratulations!!!!

Yay! Good for you!!!

I love reading success stories :)

Very encouraging to me that most of the people here say they were expecting it to be a lot worse but once they go they find the experience not nearly as bad and their teeth are not nearly as bad as they thought either.

So glad to hear things have changed, both for you and in dentistry.

I've never posted here before, but just wanted to say how helpful I've found everyone's posts. So I want to post here in the hope that it helps someone else.

I hadn't visited the dentist in 13 years and was terrified. My phobia had reached the point where I hadn't been able to look in my mouth for years and it would make me feel panicky if anyone talked about dentists or showed me their teeth inside their mouths.

I had 2 broken teeth, 1 of which was at gum level as it had been broken for so long and another tooth that was broken but hadn't been broken for so long. I felt ashamed of my horrible mouth. I was constantly anxious that my teeth would cause pain or worse an abscess and I would have to see a dentist.

Recently I decided enough was enough and I started googling dental phobia and found this forum. Reading everyone's success stories spurred me on to book an appointment at my local dentist. On the day I was so scared but I forced myself to go and it was completely fine! My dentist was so kind, sympathetic and non judgemental. I had an examination and xrays. My tooth that is broken to the gum needs extraction but the other just a filling. My gums are perfect and I have no other cavities! I am booked in for air flow polishing and then I will have the filling and extraction done in one appointment. After that I can have another appointment in 9 months and then I will be on yearly appointments as she has no concerns with my mouth and teeth as I'm clearly looking after them. I'm actually looking forward to my next appointment!

If you are scared please look for a sympathetic dentist. Things really have changed over the last 20 years. Also, things generally are never as bad as you think they will be. I can't believe I wasted so much time on worrying about this and I feel a huge weight has been lifted. Please don't let this fear dominate your life.

Wow, well done, thanks for sharing your story!

I haven't been to the dentist is 15 years and I will require a few fillings and extractions as I have 2 teeth that are gum level an just root. How did that extraction go? I'm concerned to how they will get them out and obviously the pain!
Thanks

a good story

What wonderful words, with which I concur wholeheartedly; it really is about the person at the end of the day, and indeed technology and understanding has moved on so much in recent years, such that most dentistry is no longer the scary ordeal it was years ago.
Congratulations on your personal success and hope all continues to go well, and glad our experiences being told on here were of help to you, as we all hope will be so for others who follow us starting out on their dental journeys.

From dental heaven with love. Simon

Back