• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dentist visit in 7 years, today!

P

purpledaisy

28 years old here. After much encouragement from my significant other, I’ve agreed to go to a dental exam today. Been living with a bit of misery the last few years due to numerous broken teeth in the back and pain with eating. I finally broke down and agreed to go because I noticed a crack in a front tooth. I’ve had nightmares of my teeth falling out and anxiety even talking about dentistry for many years. I’ve been undergoing therapy for some grief and anxiety issues for the last 6 months and I think it’s helped me get to this point. I had a bad experience the last few times I visited the dentist and allowed things to progress to a point where I basically can’t eat very many foods and am very ashamed of the state of my mouth. But I’m ready to confront this problem and get on the right path. It’s time. Incredibly nervous but somewhat hopeful, I think. I would appreciate any good vibes from you guys...been reading this forum for several years and it’s been really helpful.

I hope your appointment went well! Very brave of you to agree to go. Many of us know how you felt, with nightmares and broken teeth.

Do update us. :)

28 years old here. After much encouragement from my significant other, I’ve agreed to go to a dental exam today. Been living with a bit of misery the last few years due to numerous broken teeth in the back and pain with eating. I finally broke down and agreed to go because I noticed a crack in a front tooth. I’ve had nightmares of my teeth falling out and anxiety even talking about dentistry for many years. I’ve been undergoing therapy for some grief and anxiety issues for the last 6 months and I think it’s helped me get to this point. I had a bad experience the last few times I visited the dentist and allowed things to progress to a point where I basically can’t eat very many foods and am very ashamed of the state of my mouth. But I’m ready to confront this problem and get on the right path. It’s time. Incredibly nervous but somewhat hopeful, I think. I would appreciate any good vibes from you guys...been reading this forum for several years and it’s been really helpful.

The first step is the hardest! Get it done and move on mate.

Good luck!

You’ll do great.

Keep us posted. I’ll look forward to your report.

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! I just wanted to report that the visit went so much better than I could have expected. Everyone I encountered at the office was kind and compassionate, and the dentist sat down with me and talked before they did any exams or X-rays. I do need several extractions and have more cavities filled than I can count on one hand, but I believe I’ll get there now. They did a deep cleaning at this visit and I didn’t freak out. Haha.

I know I’ve only posted twice, but I’ve been lurking on this site since 2011 and looking at it recently really gave me the push to finally do this. Really glad I did.

Awesome!

Congratulaions.

This is good feeling you’re experiencing: you have earned it. Enjoy.

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! I just wanted to report that the visit went so much better than I could have expected. Everyone I encountered at the office was kind and compassionate, and the dentist sat down with me and talked before they did any exams or X-rays. I do need several extractions and have more cavities filled than I can count on one hand, but I believe I’ll get there now. They did a deep cleaning at this visit and I didn’t freak out. Haha.

I know I’ve only posted twice, but I’ve been lurking on this site since 2011 and looking at it recently really gave me the push to finally do this. Really glad I did.
Well done on your success so far! I can assure you that it really gets much easier from now on. If you read my latest post in the journals section you will see how easy it all turned out to be with the right care and support. Good luck with it all from us all. Simon XX :grin:

Back