• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First filling tomorrow

F

Froyo26

Hi there. I've just signed up to this site as I have my first filling on a bottom molar tomorrow and I am absolutely terrified. Can anyone provide any reassurances that might comfort me with just 24 hours to go?

I've had teeth out in the past and coped ok with the injection/extraction. It's the drill that gives me the most fear - I struggle even with a scale and polish, the feeling goes right through me and I often have to ask the dentist to stop. Desperate to not be a drama queen tomorrow and act like a grown woman!! Dentist is really nice and advised me to wear earphones, but i don't think this will help with the drill feeling..

Thank you in advance if anyone can help!
** Forgot to add that the teeth extractions were when I was a young teenager, and somehow was a lot more brave than I am now. Put off going to the dentist for 7 years before this and this filling is my first treatments

Last edited:
Hi there. I've just signed up to this site as I have my first filling on a bottom molar tomorrow and I am absolutely terrified. Can anyone provide any reassurances that might comfort me with just 24 hours to go?

I've had teeth out in the past and coped ok with the injection/extraction. It's the drill that gives me the most fear - I struggle even with a scale and polish, the feeling goes right through me and I often have to ask the dentist to stop. Desperate to not be a drama queen tomorrow and act like a grown woman!! Dentist is really nice and advised me to wear earphones, but i don't think this will help with the drill feeling..

Thank you in advance if anyone can help!
** Forgot to add that the teeth extractions were when I was a young teenager, and somehow was a lot more brave than I am now. Put off going to the dentist for 7 years before this and this filling is my first treatments

Hi there,

I know the feeling isn’t the most pleasant I find the same thing I don’t like the sensation. Honestly though when I had a filling the actual drilling part was not very long at all, and over before I knew it. I tried fuddling with something in my hand and had my dentist talking to distract me which worked well but headphones are good too!

Hi there,

I know the feeling isn’t the most present I find the same thing I don’t like the sensation. Honestly though when I had a filling the actual drilling part was not very long at all, and over bevies I knew it. I tried fuddling with something in my hand and had my dentist talking to distract me which worked well but headphones are good too!

Was it really not too long? - the dentist said to save time for a 45 minute appointment and i think i've assumed that the whole thing will be drilling! Thank you very much for replying, i will take something along to hold.

Was it really not too long? - the dentist said to save time for a 45 minute appointment and i think i've assumed that the whole thing will be drilling! Thank you very much for replying, i will take something along to hold.

That’s okay. I know there is the ask a dentist option they maybe able to give more of an estimate of true time as I suppose may depend on size/depth. But honestly having mine really didn’t take much time with drilling bit. I had a composite filling and I know a lot of the time was with the light curing of the layers. They need things like time to check the bite and setting time etc. Too. And if local needed, time for that to kick in! May also need more time for covid precautions.

That’s okay. I know there is the ask a dentist option they maybe able to give more of an estimate of true time as I suppose may depend on size/depth. But honestly having mine really didn’t take much time with drilling bit. I had a composite filling and I know a lot of the time was with the light curing of the layers. They need things like time to check the bite and setting time etc. Too. And if local needed, time for that to kick in! May also need more time for covid precautions.

Thanks very much for the above! Everything you said was right, the drilling part was over within 5-10 minutes and it really wasn't so bad. No pain after the anaesthetic. And i think i have now found my dentist too - she was really understanding and patient. Hope i can go into future appointments with a bit less fear!!

Thanks very much for the above! Everything you said was right, the drilling part was over within 5-10 minutes and it really wasn't so bad. No pain after the anaesthetic. And i think i have now found my dentist too - she was really understanding and patient. Hope i can go into future appointments with a bit less fear!!

Congratulations :party: well done that’s amazing! It’s the best when you find the dentist you think is the ONE! She sounds perfect with her patience and understanding. Just what we phonics often need. So glade you got it over and done with and I’m sure you. Every good appointment definitely helps with the nextsnd future ones. Glade I could help?

Back