• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Filling

F

Flbug

I had my first filling about 4 days ago, bottom left side. Granted I've had fillings before, but they were all on baby teeth and were amalgam (and fell out before my teeth did, yikes) but I really had no recollection of the procedure or what they were like.

Now this appointment has terrified me, I'm talking like real phobic type stuff. I had constant recurrent nightmares the week prior, and was running on fumes the morning of my appointment. 7:30 AM rolls around and I'm taken back, and because I'm needle phobic and had a bad experience with them the last time, I asked for the gas before the needles, and I was happy that they almost immediately started me on the gas. A good 6 or 7 minutes go by and I've had plenty of time expressing my fears to both the dentist and the nurse, and also the gas was already working well. Really the only big part of that bit was me laughing while Africa by Toto played in the background (I see where the gas gets its name!) :)

So here's the big bit, the most terrifying part which is the needle. They put topical on and left me for a bit, but I was so focused on my dentist telling me about his friends experience of horses (they know I ride) that the needle was so mild it was only like a pressure. I don't know what voodoo he did, but the entire way it went in it only felt like an annoyance (weird hard thing inside my jaw, but not painful, just foreign.) I was so scared of the novocaine going in because a previous dentist liked to inject quickly as possible which if any of you have experienced is horrific, but I didn't feel anything at all, only something that felt like someone holding my jaw muscle between their forefinger and thumb. pressure but no pain, and like that it was done!

I was so relieved that the rest of the procedure went by quick. The gas was still working because I was still laughing at the way the drill tickled my brain (the noise was unsettling and the smell but there was no pain or discomfort) and now days later I've barely had sensitivity, and no real pain at all! They gave me a perscription just in case since it was deep, but I havent had to even touch it.

I hope my experience can give courage to some others out there! I think a big part of my sucess is having a dentist who's willing to work with me and understand.

That is wonderful that you had such a positive experience! Sounds like your dentist is a keeper! I have no doubt that your post will encourage many others with similar fears. You remind me of when I had my first filling after many years of not having any treatments. I was 15 and terrified (I think my last filling was age 6 or 7 and like you I could not recall the procedure). My fear was always primarily the drill though more than the shot and not getting numb. I remember being about halfway through and actually laying there feeling sorta relaxed and numb thinking “oh my gosh! I’m really doing this and I’m ok! I faced my fear!” And feeling so proud of myself.

Back