• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First filling

M

Mintchocchip

I had my first filling about three weeks ago. It was in a baby tooth and he said that it was quite close to the nerve. I was in quite a lot of pain for about a week and a bit afterwards and my whole jaw was throbbing, so I reluctantly went back to the dentist only for them to tell me that they could t see anything wrong and the only thing they could do was extract it. I refused because of a very bad experience in the past and because I have no adult tooth underneath to replace it (I’m 17 and have always been senile about brushing to avoid going to the dentist)So I was told to wait to see if it got any better.

The pain subsided now, it isn’t painful but I’m just aware of it being there because it feels different to my other teeth when I bite down and I can still feel it. But I have a purpley red bit around my gums and going up into my jaw which feels like a really sore bruise when I touch it. I don’t want to go back to the dentist as I am scared. Should I be worrying?

It sounds like the nerve in the tooth has died and it may be forming an abscess. You need to go back to let them have another look I'm afraid.
Root treatment of baby teeth is very difficult, but is a possibility if the dentist fancies taking it on, can't say for sure if this is possible without seeing an x-ray.
The other issue is that baby teeth seem to self destruct at some stage anyway, the roots dissolve away as though the second tooth was there and they fall out.

It sounds like the nerve in the tooth has died and it may be forming an abscess. You need to go back to let them have another look I'm afraid.
Root treatment of baby teeth is very difficult, but is a possibility if the dentist fancies taking it on, can't say for sure if this is possible without seeing an x-ray.
The other issue is that baby teeth seem to self destruct at some stage anyway, the roots dissolve away as though the second tooth was there and they fall out.

My mum still has her baby teeth and she’s almost 50. I just can’t afford to have a big gap in my mouth when I’m only just turned 17. Thank you anyway I will try and see if I get get something sorted without losing the tooth.

Back