• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First of two fillings tomorrow - feeling terrified

H

Hartington99

Having a composite filling tomorrow in a tooth that has previously been filled due to some shading showing on X-ray. My partner came with my last time and I got through it knowing he was there to hold my hand but I’ll be alone this time and I’m terrified. Don’t want to feel trapped or to feel any pain, I don’t even know what I’m worried about anymore it’s consumed me for weeks

I understand that feeling all too well, I am going for 3 more early next month and had one done last month, it wasn't as terrible as my mind made it out to be and mine was done in 10 mins. or so! Try to do some deep breathing, bring music and tell your dentist about your fears and what stresses you out most, they will work with you to see what may help you the most. Ask for small breaks and make sure you are numb before they start. Good luck, you can do this! You are stronger than you think, it will be over before you know it.

Thank you, my appointment is 40 minutes long so I feel like it must be deep, hopefully it’s a lot less. Thank you it really helps, i don’t know if I should listen to music or not as I also like to know what’s going on haha. My mind is all over the place. Well done on getting throgun yours! That’s amazing , just over an hour to go for me can’t wait for it to be over

Well that's that one over, held off updating for a little while so I could come to terms with things. Dentist is and was lovely, however I felt the dreaded shooting pain when the injection happened which was painful, then came the drilling, I felt it at times tried to get on with it but got worse so had more numbing injected around the tooth, these were quite painful too. Halfway through the dentist had me open and close my eyes, turns out my eye wouldn't close fully and the side wjole side of my face was numb from the injection. thankfully this has subsided now, the filling feels A bit gritty so looking forward to when it feels a bit more normal and so glad it's over. Until next week that is. Guess I was just unlucky today but I got though it and even with things going wrong it wasn't as bad as I expected

Sorry you felt some of the work being done, etc. I didn't when i had mine and it does feel weird afterwards for awhile but then soon feels like it's not even there. Congrats! I am staying positive mine go well next week, i hope i can get all 3 done but may just get 2 done depending on how long and if he can numb me in the other spot at the same time, hope so and i want to be done with the dentist!

Hi, thank you! It wasn't the nicest but I got through it, hoping I dont feel as much on Tuesday but the dentist being lovely helps. Yeah try to stay positive and if you have 2 instead of three that's still amazing of you and you'll be well prepared by the time the final one comes along and so glad that It's all over. I think the worrying about it is worse than any actual pain felt on the day, although I do hate the sound and feeling of the drill LOL

my dentist is understanding about the anxiety and works with me to make sure all goes as good as it can, still, I'm happy when i get to leave and it's done. :) I always reward myself for going through with any dental work as i need more than it just being done and over with to feel ok with it.

Second one was done today and was much more pain free ! Over the moon they’re both done, this one feels a little sharp so hoping it resolves on its own

Having a composite filling tomorrow in a tooth that has previously been filled due to some shading showing on X-ray. My partner came with my last time and I got through it knowing he was there to hold my hand but I’ll be alone this time and I’m terrified. Don’t want to feel trapped or to feel any pain, I don’t even know what I’m worried about anymore it’s consumed me for weeks
Was it a back tooth or front tooth being composite filled?

@PAUL199 Hi it was a back tooth
Thanks man, I’m likely to be getting a composite filing/ bonding on my chipped front tooth next week. Likely to be no numbing involved. Still, I’m absolutely terrified of dentists, any advice for overcoming my pretty much irrational fear?? ? I’m going to be a shaking mess when I reach the practice/ waiting room. I’d be grateful for any pointers.