• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First post! Quite nervous. x rays.

V

Veedubber

Hello folks. I’ll give you a bit of background so you can understand my situation a little better.

I’m 28, I’ve had fear of dentists for a long time. My Dentist as a child was awful. Would fill and extract without adequate numbing. Would berate me for the state of my teeth and my mother would also do the same as we went home.

My diet as a child was horrific. We’d consume fizzy drinks with every single meal. My parents wouldn’t ensure I looked after my teeth. I wasn’t completely neglected, but neglected enough to cause damage to my teeth.

As a young adult, I avoided the Dentist. It was so much easier than going and being told off.

In 2011 I had pain. I visited a dentist who did some extractions, privately and he was fabulous initially. Further on down the line he told me that I should have continued getting the work done outlined in his treatment plan which made me feel like I was right back at childhood being told off. I never saw him again.

Between 2014 and 2017 I’ve had 3 children. I suffered extreme morning sickness with them and I know my teeth have suffered as a result.

I now have a brilliant NHS Dentist, his wait times are ridiculous though. It took 3 months just for a check up.

I’ve had my treatment plan in place. (12 fillings!) I’m quite ashamed but I’ve booked in with a dental tech at the practice who can see me fortnightly. First appointment is tomorrow to get started.

The thing I’m worried about is the x rays. I haven’t had any done since I saw the private Dentist and I’m scared they’re going to show that I need visible teeth removing or that something scary is going on.

I can deal with the list of 12 fillings. I can get through them a bit at a time, like a list I’m crossing off! But I’m unsure if I can take the news that something else is going on too.

I’m so ashamed of my teeth. My smile is awful and I only smile with a closed mouth. I’d like to get all of the fillings done and then try for some cosmetic work.

The thought of my teeth make me anxious, depressed, upset and ashamed. I guess I just need to know I’m not alone and that I can get through this and my life doesn’t have to be this way!

Thank you so much for reading, I look forward to responses.

Good luck!

keep us posted.

"The thing I’m worried about is the x rays. I haven’t had any done since I saw the private Dentist and I’m scared they’re going to show that I need visible teeth removing or that something scary is going on.

I can deal with the list of 12 fillings. I can get through them a bit at a time, like a list I’m crossing off! But I’m unsure if I can take the news that something else is going on too.

I’m so ashamed of my teeth. My smile is awful and I only smile with a closed mouth. I’d like to get all of the fillings done and then try for some cosmetic work.

The thought of my teeth make me anxious, depressed, upset and ashamed. I guess I just need to know I’m not alone and that I can get through this and my life doesn’t have to be this way! "

Vedubber,

I so hear you on the xrays and the anxiety of finding out something worse is going on! Its the fear of the unexpected, the bad news that really kept me out for a while myself.

I recently got a few crowns and really the process was not bad, I trust my dentist and he actually makes it fun but.. when I saw what was under the crowns.. it made me really scared,and also wonder what lies under all the other crowns and , am I going to lose my teeth etc, etc.. Well..... I guess only way to tell is just tackle it.. the known is find and tolerable.. the unknown is well.. Freaking scary!

You are not alone and can get through this.. espcially being here and with the help of a good dentist that cares!! I also deal with immense shame of my teeth and their condition, though my dentist says, "i'm my own worst judge and he's not there to judge but to help me".. I now believe him. but its STILL hard..

You are in good company here! I hope the xrays go well for you!! and you get good news when you do them.

I was feeling quite calm when I woke this morning. Then my husband decided this morning was an appropriate time to have an argument with me, sending me into panicky tears.

He’s apologised now. As if that makes me feel instantly better or something...

Anyway, I’ve got my phone on charge, headphones in my pocket and my favourite perfume on.

Appointment in just over an hour. I’m doing this!

All done! 1/4 of the work done today. 3 fillings on the bottom left. The next 9 fillings are on the top teeth and the dentist asked if I would like to book them all in one go. So I’m back in a fortnight and we’ll rattle through them all.

X-rays were taken. My friend is the dental nurse and just messaged me to say they’ve done the X-ray report and I need no extra work from what they show.

I had a polish and my teeth look better! I still have staining but I’m hoping I can get rid of that with a polishing toothpaste, another polish or teeth whitening.

I feel so much better about things today. The Dentist was so lovely. She told me each stage and told me at each filling “only x amount to go”. Amazing.

yay!!! I'm so glad the fillings went well and the x-ray showed that everything was good! I'm glad you found a really good dentist too. Such a relief I'm sure :XXLhug:

Back