• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First post

S

Shara

Hello all, I need help but don’t know what kind of help, I have felt a lot of shame and embarrassment regarding my teeth since the age of 11 years, someone threw a large brick at me which hit my head and face, I was in hospital for weeks with a fractured skull and damaged teeth, I ended up with an upper plate with 2 false teeth and a lower with 1 tooth. I couldn’t wear the lower as it was too painful so I just left it out most of the time. I have a memory of my upper plate falling out at playtime at school in front of my friends, hence the intense Shane snd embarrassment. During my teenage years I was forced to attend the dental practice but my dentist was cruel and unsympathetic to my needs, since becoming an adult I have only attended a dental practice if I was in acute pain and can only attend if I am sedated, I am now over 60 years and can only see a future of losing all my teeth and having a complete set of dentures, I have been considering implants but don’t believe I have enough health bone. I lost my smile when I was 11 and would dearly like to have it back one day, I’m wondering what other peoples opinions are regarding implants, and if it can’t be done in one day how to cope with no teeth while you’re waiting.

@Shara Hi. I'm maybe not the best person to give dental advice, but you're not alone in your fears.

I haven't been to the dentist a single time in 30 years! So the fact that you've been at all is an indication of strength that you can do this if you set your mind to it.

I'm sorry I can't say or do more for you. It sounds like you've been through a lot.

I wish you all the best and much love and support.

I recently had my teeth pulled and 6 implants put in on top, and 6 on bottom. I am 62 yrs. I am wearing temporary teeth (arches) screwed into the implants. I had this done a little over 3 months ago. So far so good. If you have any questions please ask.

Hi! Welcome.

I had a friend who had all her teeth replaced, and she is your age.

She told me that while she’d prefer to have her original teeth (edit to add: her original teeth in their original state, before they decayed), the replacements were much better than the days when her natural teeth were rotting.

Also, I’m happy to report that there have been unprecedented strides in both dental technology and in the degree of kindness and warmth dentists provide.

There is every reason for hope for your situation.

Back