• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First proper exam/xray in 4 years tomorrow, terrified

S

scaredcavitygirl

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I have an appointment for an initial exam and xray at a new dental clinic. I have a huge fear of pain (from needles) and get extremely anxious over the anticipation of pain (if the anaesthetic isn't enough during drilling). I'm fairly certain I have a few cavities, unfortunately in different areas of the mouth so will likely have to attend a number of appointments. One tooth last year had to be filled as a chunk fell out while i was eating, but that was the only procedure that was done (no full exam) and the dentist gave me a 15% chance of it needing a root canal later. That tooth is hurting a bit now and I have been crying over having to get a root canal too. While that filling wasn't too bad, I still cried with my mum there and this time I will be by myself

I really wish I could just get all of the necessary work done tomorrow so I don't have to continue stressing over this. I have been losing sleep, losing weight. It's horrible. I will be going overseas for a few months at the end of Sept and I'm also worried there won't be enough time for all the work to be done by then. I've been putting it off for so long and feel so stupid for putting a time constraint on something really important, adding to the stress.

Idk if it's my imagination but today I'm starting to feel pain in other teeth that haven't given me any previous problems. I've been crying on and off throughout the day and can't imagine being very put-together during my appointment... gah I'm just dreading this so bad... Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated

Hello there. I just wanted to let you know that I understand exactly how you're feeling. Having pain from cavities and other mouth issues is bad enough, but when you add anxiety and crippling fear to it, it can feel unbearable.

You should feel proud of yourself for making an appointment and choosing to have the issues addressed in spite of your fear. That, my dear, is COURAGE. I know that your head is swimming with all the unknowns right now, I tend to what if myself into a basket case due to my anxiety. What has helped me is prayer and filling myself with positive affirmations. Even if I have to talk out loud to myself and tell myself it's going to be okay, I will do that.

Before the dentist looks into your mouth have a talk and let him know that you are anxious and would prefer to have your work done all at once rather than broken up into several appointments. Let him know of your issue with time as well. Ask what type of comfort measures are offered (sedation or nirtrous oxide for example) so that you can be made as comfortable as possible. Just know that by making an appointment you have taken a very positive step for yourself, and it's a step toward being out of pain and the fear of the unknown. Please keep us posted here and let us know how it goes. ?

Thank you so much for your reply! Your words were honestly so kind and exactly what I needed to hear. I just got home now and it went much better than I thought it would!

The initial checkup was this afternoon and he found 2 new cavities and a broken cavity in my trouble tooth. He also advised I have a scale/polish due to plaque buildup and signs of receding gums. I let him know I was nervous at the start and he was so nice about it; a complete angel in comparison to other dentists I've had. He recommended an oral sedative but as I couldn't secure a ride home afterwards, opted out. I asked the receptionist to book the appointments for the fillings/cleaning ASAP and luckily scored appointments for this evening.

The injections did hurt a little, especially in the bottom of the mouth... but only for about 7 seconds! I tried bombarding my mind with happy thoughts and it really helped as a distraction. The remainder of the procedures went so fast, I can't thank my dentist enough for that. The worst part honestly was the scale/polish... the sound of the drill used is horrendous :0 But due to being numbed up for the cavities, I didn't feel any pain. Only slight discomfort from the sound/feel of scraping.

I'm not sure why but I felt a wave of confidence come over me today and didn't cry or panic. My hands got pretty sweaty but that was the extent of it, I'm really proud of myself! Reading everyone's experiences and advice on this forum helped immensely, I'm so grateful this website exists <3 After this experience I'll definitely be less afraid of returning and will be more conscious of my oral hygiene

Soo glad it went well for you and you really conquered all your fears and worries. Sounds like a good dentist too! What a relief!! Always sets you up for a less worried return. Hard to get work w a new dentist. So happy for you!! :)

Thank you so much for your reply! Your words were honestly so kind and exactly what I needed to hear. I just got home now and it went much better than I thought it would!

The initial checkup was this afternoon and he found 2 new cavities and a broken cavity in my trouble tooth. He also advised I have a scale/polish due to plaque buildup and signs of receding gums. I let him know I was nervous at the start and he was so nice about it; a complete angel in comparison to other dentists I've had. He recommended an oral sedative but as I couldn't secure a ride home afterwards, opted out. I asked the receptionist to book the appointments for the fillings/cleaning ASAP and luckily scored appointments for this evening.

The injections did hurt a little, especially in the bottom of the mouth... but only for about 7 seconds! I tried bombarding my mind with happy thoughts and it really helped as a distraction. The remainder of the procedures went so fast, I can't thank my dentist enough for that. The worst part honestly was the scale/polish... the sound of the drill used is horrendous :0 But due to being numbed up for the cavities, I didn't feel any pain. Only slight discomfort from the sound/feel of scraping.

I'm not sure why but I felt a wave of confidence come over me today and didn't cry or panic. My hands got pretty sweaty but that was the extent of it, I'm really proud of myself! Reading everyone's experiences and advice on this forum helped immensely, I'm so grateful this website exists <3 After this experience I'll definitely be less afraid of returning and will be more conscious of my oral hygiene

Fantastic news!?I'm so happy that all went well for you! You did it!

Well done going to the dentist, sounds you got a good dentist

Well done scaredcavitygirl, you should be proud of yourself. I'm glad it went well for you :)

Back