• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First step is the hardest

F

Flamingor78

Hi everyone.. I’m 39 years old woman who have always been afraid of the dentist, like major PHOBIA.. i even remembered lurking in beyondfear website 20 years ago..

Anyway, I have always had trouble with my teeth maybe due to lack of care when I was a child. My teeth front and molars started decaying when I was a teenager. Back then, the only dentist I had access to was the school dentist who preferred teeth extraction rather than treatments such as RCT. So I developed phobia since I needed so much treatment early on. The condition of my teeth has caused me so much shame and self hate which drove me into deep depression.

I struggled with depression and dental phobia all through college. Once I started working and earning my own money, I tried to take care of my teeth. At 22, I was already missing 8 teeth, few rootcanals and few fillings. Years goes on, I sometimes skipped few years of dental visit, and triggered my fear again. I didn’t get my missing teeth replaced so the teeth shifted and I could feel my bite is off.

Two years ago, a crown on my lateral incisor ( with rootcanal from 2003) started becoming loose, and fell off Leaving just the roots. The dentist said it couldnt be saved anymore and gave me few options. I opted for denture on top of the bad root thinking I could buy some time before deciding to go for implant route. I cried so hard after getting the denture blaming myself that it was my fault things turned this way.

Then, this year another lateral incisor crown came loose so I put back the crown with some polident because going to the dentist was just such a nightmare. But deep down, I knew I couldn‘t avoid it forever. I started looking around at local dentists, and sending them messages because calling was just so scary. Finally, I got an appt in January for implant consultation. The dentist mentioned that my bones were sufficient and perfect for implant. So, the priority was the front teeth. The two root stumps gotta go, and I had to wait for 2 months for healing and get implants done.

I went in yesterday for the extractions. I was super nervous, and even prepared a meditation relaxation audio for me to listen at the waiting room. When they called my name , I sat on the dental chair, I felt I was 14 again. I was nervous and felt very helpless. The extractions weren’t easy, the dentist said. I‘m guessing I’ve always having trouble getting numbed. Even after lots of shots, as the dentist started poking, I still felt pain something sharp pinching my gums. I raised my hand and she gave me more shots, like lots more. The tugging and pulling was tough for me to handle, I wished I didn’t have to go through that… i also feel like anaesthesia wears off faster on me because when she put the bone graft and stitching my gums, I felt the pinching needle on my gums.

Today is day 2, my mouth is still sore, and I feel like my whole mouth is painful. I had new immediate denture, and the dentist said to leave it on for whole 2 days. My mouth is painful, the denture feels too tight and uncomfortable and bulky, also my bite feels off. I can’t even chew or bite food properly. I just feel like crying right now. Eventhough I am one step ahead in my dental journey, I‘m just demotivated with the pain and not being able to chew food.

My next appointment is on 21 march to take off the stitches. I am so scared thinking about implant day, could it be more painful than this, I dont know what to expect. The dentist said taking the teeth out is more painful than putting implants in, but with my pain tolerance I’m not so sure. I just needed some supports because I am afraid I might bail halfway, and probably regret it later. thanks for reading this.

Bless firstly dont blame yourself .

Well done for having the extractions done under local .

You need to stick to soft foods for now the mouth heals quicker than any part of the body so give it some time.

I have only 13 teeth left of my own . A broken crown a snapped tooth and 2 marylands and 1 bridge of 3 teeth . Yes its depressing i know that specificallý if you have a phobia. I recently had a tooth extracted and had to opt for iv sedation which was amazing. So i am in awe of you . you are so brave keep going .

Thanks for the encouragement jackieallen.. i wish they offer iv sedation at my area, but they're not common here so I just have to bear having treatments on local.

I cried last night because I was in such in pain , awake at 2am couldn't sleep until now. I decided to take off my denture out eventho my dentist mentioned to never take it out for 2 days after the bone graft. Anyone can share why I couldn't take out my denture ? What's the implication of doing so, since I only left the denture on for 36 hours.

Thank you for reading this.

Try posting on the forum for dental professional help they will have a better idea . Alternatively i think you should book a check up with your dentist to review .

Just an update... 3 days after my extractions.. i am feeling much better now, the extractions site seems to be healing ok i guess. It only hurts when i pressed my upper lip area. the swelling and pain has gone down too, so I don't have to take any painkillers today.

My partial denture fits better now, i think mouth must've swollen then.. the bite is still off so I am going to ask the dentist when I get the stitches out.

I didn't manage to ask questions on my last appt. On my next appt, will write down questions so I can ask the dentist.

It's been a year since my last post... I just gotten my crowns for my implants as well few other crowns replaced 2 weeks ago. Am glad I took the steps to finally take control of my life. So here I am sharing my terrible before smile, and after smile. Of course I need few other treatments, but am very happy I'm finally be able to smile broadly just before my 40th birthday.

Thank you for the encouragement and help!

Attachments

• After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Lovely teeth yiu are very lucky .... can only see the after pic .

What a lovely smile. You should be proud. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing your journey. Keep us posted.

I am attaching my before picture here, and you can see my teeth before were terrible =( 2 of them were totally broken to gum level. Hopefully this could motivate others to take the first step and seek help .

Attachments

• P1090875 - Copy.JPG
    P1090875 - Copy.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 16
Wowwsa . You have done so well ....ao proud of u . I am sure u are proud too .

What a transformation!

Well done.

Back