• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First time going to dentist for ages

O

Ogwen

Hi there
I havent been to a dentist for over 12 years. I'm from the UK and just wanted to ask a question or 2.

I know I will need a few teeth pulled, and the reason it's been 12 years is because I am so phobic and ashamed t the state of them.

If I ask for sedation what can I expect? I know the oral stuff I dont get on with. I remember from a kid having it and then throwing up a lot afterwards. And as an adult before general it made me panic because I felt detached from my body as I went under
Would tablet form of sedation be strong enough to make me forget the whole experience? Or would I need the Iv drip though i am scared of needles.
What does it feel like? I am scared of losing control of myself or saying or doing something stupid while under the influence of it

Ogwen,

Hello, I'm not a dentist but just want to encourage you as you go through this huge step. Its been years and even the thought of doing it and coming on here to discuss it is some momentum and courage as hard as it is.. Shame is a very real feeling and thing. I've dealt with it myself.

I do encourage you to find a dentist who you feel comfortable with first, that will really listen to you and your needs and fears and shames. There are so many out there that are so compassionate and really want to help you and get to a place of best oral health for you!

I'm from the US so not sure what the UK sedation forms they offer or what the protocol is, but if you feel comfortable with your dentist first and know they understand you and your fears and what you went through previously. I strongly believe you can find a good option that you will be comfortable with.

I really wish you the best no matter what you choose .

Thanks @krlovesherkids777

The problem I am having at the moment is that with Covid the dentists have a backlog of people they need to see before they can get to the new patients. They would only see me if it was an emergency ie in pain. I am not in pain but I'd say it would be better if I was seen sooner than the 6 months waiting time they have at the moment.
And for some reason their sedation is not available at this time, which worries me a bit

Back