• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First time posting, and a needle phobia.

B

bast_k

Hello everyone! My name is Bast, and I've seen this fourm pop up a lot whenever I google phobias and self-help sites, and everyone here seems really friendly... So I thought I would join up, and maybe get some advice or support from you guys.

I had my first cavity and filling when I was around eight or nine. I can't remember my age, but what I DO remember was that my dentist was a jerk. I can understand that most dentists and doctors don't have time or the will to even bother helping a needle phobic out when they have other, calmer patients to see. That's fine, but this doctor? Total jerk. I remember crying when he put the numbing gel in my mouth, and I remember screaming a lot when I first saw the needle. My mother held my arms down while the dentist yanked my cheek out, squeezed really hard and jabbed the needle in. Now, I didn't feel the needle, but the yanking of the cheek and being forced down didn't help. That's always happened to me, whenever I had to deal with a needle. One of my parents or a nurse always held me down and forced me to do it. When I was smaller and didn't know that threatning to pull a Pulp Fiction gets them off of you REAL fast. (I never actually SAID "I will pull a Pulp Fiction" but you get the idea.)

When I was around fifteen, my family went though some money problems, causing us to move into a really crappy area of town and get in line for food stamps every week. Thankfully that's over and done with now, but I still have some problems rooting there. See, I was so depressed at that time, I would stay up for two days in a row, not shower for a week or more, and I never brushed my teeth. Once we got out of that house, I started brushing again and I realized, oh crap, there's some holes in my teeth. Turned out I had a total of 13 cavities, and two root canals that needed to be done fast.

So we got a really nice dentist. But the poor guy didn't realize how bad my phobia IS. I started bawling once he put the numbing gel on, and once AGAIN, the nurse tried to hold me down. That triggered memories of my first cavaity and how I was forced, and I lept up from the chair and hid in the corner. I didn't have anything done that day. I felt really bad though! I don't want to hurt the nurses or the doctors, and I wasn't planning on it! And I didn't want to scare them or anything, but I just can't handle that.

So, my mother made special arrangements to have me taken to the hospital and put out with sleeping gas, and have everything done at once while I was under. The surgry went fine(although we skipped the root canals and took those two teeth out, and my wisdom teeth are coming in to take their place), even though I did flip out a little and caused three nurses to jump on my legs. Again, I wasn't going to hurt anyone! I was.. Just going to run away or something. Really. So, anyway, that went down when I was sixteen. I went in for a checkup and a cleaning, and then a year later I notced a tiny hole start forming where a filling was. That was fixed with no novocain, just the drill. It was slightly uncomfortable, but I can trust the dentists with drills. So I don't think it's a real big trust issue or loss of control thing for me.

But now, at the same spot near the filling, it's starting to open up again. Also, on one of my back bottom molars, a nick chunk is missing from the top. There's also a few other problem spots I'm worried about. Nothing HURTS, though, so I guess I have to be thankful for that. I've told my mother about this, and she suggested I go to the dentist to see what needs to be worked on. I said, fine, but I wanted to look into some therapy. But my mother is busy in law school at the moment, so she hasn't gotten around to making an appointment for me. I hate to remind her, because *I* don't want to go in. I know I should, and I should press her about it if I want to keep my teeth, but it's still a big issue for me.

Funny thing is, is that my dad's a diabetic. I've seen him give himself shots my whole life, I can pick up one of his needles, I can hold it towards me, and I'm even trained on how to give him an emergency shot if I ever need to. I've been around needles my whole life, but I still have this fear. And it's beginning to effect my adult life! I can't travel overseas, I can't go to the art university unless I get my shot records updated, and I would like to get blood tests done at some point to make sure everything's okay. I don't even have my ears pierced! But I can picture myself getting shots, but I put that image together with the smell of the office, the taste of the gel and the rubber gloves, and having those nurses hold me down and force me... And I start having a panic attack. For the dentists, or the normal doctor's office. I know that the nurses wouldn't hold me down if I told them, and I know in my head that getting a shot won't hurt... And I've tried shutting my eyes, listening to music, talking to the dentist, all of that. But I still haven't gotten over this fear.

So, I'm asking for advice, or tips, or just support. Should I keep pressing to seek professional help? Should I try and poke myself with one of my dad's needles? Should I be put under with sleeping gas again? I'm open to any suggestions you have.

Thank you so much for reading this, guys. I appericate it.

Hi, :welcome:

I am sorry to hear about your dental fears but you have come to the right place and everyone here will be able to advise you.

I would suggest looking into dentists that use the wand, I myself have never had an injection with the wand but I know Melodyl has so perhaps when she pops in she can help you with that but from her accounts its totally painless, it doest even look like a needle. I would also see if you can research any dentists out that can offfer to do sedation for you, I had most of my treatment done with IV sedation and it was great, I dont really remember a lot of the work being done and I was only slightly sedated, a higher doseage and some people have no recollection of anything going on. Its a great way to have dental work when your deathly afraid!

I think the most important factor in a dentist patient relationship is trust, I know my dentist wont hurt me and I am very lucky to have found him but it just goes to show that there not all bad, I always thought dentists were all the same, get you in, do a whole lot of painful stuff, then usher me out, I couldnt have been more wrong! I dont consider myself to be phobic anymore, yes I am scared of going but not as scared as I was say 8 months ago when I first started to look for a new dentist it took a few rocky patches for me to get there but I did and know that if I can get through this, anyone can! Good luck!

Thank you for the warm welcome and your support! =D And yes, actually I've seen a few pictures of the Wand before. It looks fine, not like a needle at all. I would love to look into that and hopefully find a dentist in my area that has that in the office. It might work!

I've tried the nitros they give you, with the little nose mask when I tried to get my 13 cavaties filled, but it turns out I have a bit of an allergy to it! Maybe it was the fresh plastic of the mask, but it actually hurt to breathe in. It stung my nose and it smelled aweful, so I'm not too egar to try that one again, heh. I've also had suggestions to get a perscription sedative and take it and get nice and calm before I go in for a needle. I have no idea how I'd take that, so I'm a bit nervous. The closest thing I've ever been to being high/drunk was when I was put on laughing gas before the surgery. It's funny NOW that I think about it, 'cause I was giggling and repeating whatever the nurses said. I will keep that in mind, though! It's a total possibility for me.

Again, thank you very much for the welcome and the advice. =)

bast_k said:
I've tried the nitros they give you, with the little nose mask when I tried to get my 13 cavaties filled, but it turns out I have a bit of an allergy to it! Maybe it was the fresh plastic of the mask, but it actually hurt to breathe in. It stung my nose and it smelled aweful, so I'm not too egar to try that one again,=)

I to couldnt handle that mask, memories from childhood would come back so there are other options.

bast_k said:
I've also had suggestions to get a perscription sedative and take it and get nice and calm before I go in for a needle. I have no idea how I'd take that, so I'm a bit nervous

I did that aslo, went to my doctor and they prescribed me Diazepam, just to take the edge of my nerves for my first visits, I didnt think it worked at the time but when I look back I think it must have as I let the dentist look in my mouth whereas before I couldnt even do that.

bast_k said:
The closest thing I've ever been to being high/drunk was when I was put on laughing gas before the surgery. It's funny NOW that I think about it, 'cause I was giggling and repeating whatever the nurses said. I will keep that in mind, though! It's a total possibility for me.

IV sedation doesnt really make you feel like your drunk, I was worried about allsorts of things when I first had it, I dont like the feeling of being crappy drunk so was worried I would feel dizzy or sick. It was nothing like that at all, I was just so relaxed that I didnt really care about what was happening to me. I was awake and able to communicate with the dentist and  his staff and when I 'came round' I couldnt believe that 2 hours had passed and that I had had 2 teeth taken out and some fillings done. I remember taking my MP3 player with me and I remember turning it on but after that it was a bit hazy, the drugs they use are completely safe and have a kind of amnesia effect so that when they are all finished and your able to leave the office you dont really remember much of what happened

bast_k said:
Again, thank you very much for the welcome and the advice. =)

Your very welcome!!

Hi Bast and :welcome:,

there's details of how to find a dentist who uses the wand at the botttom of this page:

You could also have a look at this book (can be ordered of Amazon), if you're trying to overcome your needle phobia in the long term (as you said, the phobia is beginning to seriously interfere with your life):

"Overcoming Medical Phobias: How to Conquer Fear of Blood, Needles, Doctors, And Dentists" by Martin M. Antony, Mark A., M.D. Watling (2006)

I haven't actually read it, but I read another one of Martin Antony's books and it's all very good and sound advice (and very easy to read, too). I expect that the book will have a special emphasis on techniques like desensitisation and would contain some practical advice on how to go about it in a safe way.

Many thanks for joining our forum :)!

Hi Sweetie:

Welcome to our litle group.  You've found a home here.

From your posting, you've been through much trauma.  Being held down is no picnic for absolutely anybody. I'm quite surpised you haven't punched anybody yet!!!

I can just see me in a chair and somebody holds me down.!! boy, would that be a sight.

Actually, I did have a similar experience but it wasn't at a dentist office. I was having a nerve conduction test because I had pain in my upper arm (they also do this test to see if a person has carpal tunnel syndrome). So I'm sitting on the table with electrodes attached to my arm and the nurse takes what looks like a cattle prod and touches it to various parts of my arm. She did it only twice. I never gave her a reason to do a third. I jumped off the table and threatened to punch her in the face. And I'm a grown woman. She looked at me and said "there there, some people are more sensitive in the nerves in their arms". I said "come near me again and you're dead!". When I went back to my doctor, he laughed his head off and said "I should have known". I'D RATHER GO TO MY DENTIST THAN HAVE THAT AGAIN!!
AND I'M PHOBIC!!!!

Congratulations to you for a) coming here and posting, and b) for expressing your fears and concerns and actually wanting to go to a dentist.

Now how can we help you???? Well, I can definitely tell you about the Wand.

It's a delivery system that is the latest technoligy in deliving novocaine. I mean, if you are not squeamish about needles, then fine and dandy!, go and do the syringe thing!!!

Me???? couldn't do it if you paid me. The first time I got Wanded (that's what I call it and my dentist burst out laughing), I said "where the hell has this been all my life".????

It's a computer do-dad thingy that has a long wire attached with a pen like thing attached to the end of the long wire. It gives the dentist much reachability. He just presses it to your gum or (inside of the mouth), wherever you need to be numbed. You don't feel a blessed thing.  You see, with needles, it's not the needle that hurts, it how the dentist presses the plunger and delivers the novocaine. I once went to a dental phobia clinic almost 9 years ago and the Wand wasn't invented yet (or wasn't used by that dentist) but she explained that she wouldn't hurt me with the syringe and by golly, SHE DIDN'T!!! I was amazed. She numbed me first with topical gel  You see, we need special dentists who know a) how to give a shot, and 2) how to deal with us phobics.

But I would definitely go with The Wand if you find a guy or gal who uses this delivery method.

Now you mention you might be interested in using a mild sedative before you go.

While I can't advocate sedatives or tranquilizers on this board, the one thing I CAN DO IS TELL YOU THAT I LOVE THEM!!!!

I couldn't go to a dentist's appointment without taking a small amount of xanax. You discuss this with your doctor (or even the dentist). You explain your fears and that you might need a bit of something).  what on earth is wrong with taking something if it gets you through the appointment?  It's not like you are self-medicating all day long!!! It's to get a person through a fearful situation.  I have always done this and I'm none the worse for wear for it. Some people don't need it. Some of us do!!! I DO !!!!

You feel just fine but calm. And believe me, we need calm at this point.

So I would discuss this with any prospective dentist and see what methods he uses and ask about the tranquilizers if this is how you wish to go for it!!!

If your dentist has a website, you can e-mail him and start a dialogue. That's what many of us do all the time!!!

So be well and pat yourself on the back.

Sincerely,
Melody

Le gasp! There are dentists in my area with the Wand. Perfect! Thank you guys so much for the help. Already I'm starting to feel better, knowing that there's alot of folks that go though the same thing I do. It's very comforting!

I plan on finding a dentist or two from the list and starting up an email conversation myself, instead of relying on my mom to do it(I figure I'll tell her I found a willing dentist later). And I will be sure to mention sedatives and other options if I do find one that's willing to help. I will totally let you know how this works out!

And haha! No, I haven't punched anybody yet, more like pushed out my arms or slapped around all crazy. At least you didn't scare the nurse too bad! When I tried to get my mouth fixed before, and I started crying, the poor dentist told my mom, "Wait until she stops crying! I don't want anyone to think I hurt her, I haven't even touched her yet!" Poor guy. He was a sweetie, and I hated to freak him out so bad!

Oh, I'm so happy they have the wand near where you live.

It's amazing what they have today. When I went to my "good guy" earlier this year, they rolled a laptop up to me in the chair and put this little thing in my mouth. I said "what is this"? and the tech guy said "oh, I'm x-raying your mouth".  

I popped the thing out for a minute and said "whoa, wait a second, what happened to the little cardboard thingies they used to stick all over inside my mouth and told me to bite down and then went and took an x-ray!?

The tech guy said "are you serious, this is 2006, we use digital x-rays now, this the latest!!! now watch this. And he puts the thing in my mouth and places it here and there and in one minute my whole mouth popped up on his lap top!!!!!

Thank goodness I live in 2006 and not in 1906.

I am very proud of you my dear.

You'll be fine. So don't worry.

keep us posted.

You made the first step.

Pat yourself and give yourself a treat.

Sincerely,
mel

Yeah, 1906 we'd still be letting out teeth fall out of our head! That's a really cool way of taking X-rays. Seems a lot more comfortable than the usual "bite down on this oversized piece of sharp plastic and stay still" method.

Thank you very much. =D Already you guys have helped me out. You're all amazing! I didn't get ahold of any dentists today, but I'll try again tomorrow. It looks like I'm going to have to call the offices and ask for an email adress to get in contact with the doctor when they're not busy.

Now I will treat myself to come oreo cookies and a night of movies. Hehe, I haven't even gotten in touch with anybody yet but I still think this is the most grown-up thing I've ever done. :jump:

How old are you hon?

mel

melodyl said:
It's amazing what they have today. When I went to my "good guy" earlier this year, they rolled a laptop up to me in the chair and put this little thing in my mouth. I said "what is this"? and the tech guy said "oh, I'm x-raying your mouth".

I popped the thing out for a minute and said "whoa, wait a second, what happened to the little cardboard thingies they used to stick all over inside my mouth and told me to bite down and then went and took an x-ray!?

The tech guy said "are you serious, this is 2006, we use digital x-rays now, this the latest!!! now watch this. And he puts the thing in my mouth and places it here and there and in one minute my whole mouth popped up on his lap top!!!!!

Thank goodness I live in 2006 and not in 1906.

Just a quick clarification of the facts - "traditional" x-rays are still more commonly used than digital and are in no way inferior. If the little plastic/cardboard thingy is uncomfortable (for example, for someone who is very prone to gagging), a child-sized version can be used.

Let's: I love you, you know that!!!

But if I can do away with the cardboard things in my mouth and have a guy roll up a laptop over to my chair and my teeth pop up on a computer in one minute, I'll take that any time.

yes, I do know that many dentists are not as up to date as others.

But (and this is my opinion), people like us need every break we can get and many of us have gag reflexes and don't like the cardboard thing in the mouth.

I LOVE technology. I mean, look how the wand changed my life.

It's the little things that mean a lot to me.

I truly believe that in 50 years, they will have advanced stem cell therapy enough so that we can grow brand new teeth.

That's why I watch my weight and my health. I WANT TO BE AROUND FOR NEW TEETH!!!! LOL

Melody

Update time! First lemme apologize for disappearing off the face of the earth for awhile there. School turned out to be more busy than I had expected, and paired with everyone else in my family being full time students, I haven't gotten the chance to really do anything about the phobia. But I have been checking in on these fourms and reading posts! Second, :welcome: to all the new folks! :XXLhug:

Well my mother and I finally found a place in town called Gentle Dental. I think it's mostly for little kids, but the dentist who worked on my teeth before worked with children, so I don't have any problems with that. The appointment is this Thursday, and I'm going to get the usual exam, a full set of X-rays and I fully intend to sit down and have a nice long chat with the dentist. I promise to come back to this thread and let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Nice to hear you've taken the courage to find a new dentist. I hope your appointment goes well for you. Come back and tell us how you got on, ok.

Take Care
x
:grouphug:

Yeah, woo woo woo to you!!!!
Very cool.

Let us know how you do. We're rootin for ya!!!!

mel

Hey folks! Well I promised an update after my dentist appointment last Thursday. Well, my mom and I went to this dentist's office. It was actually called "Tender Dental", a knock off of "Gentle Dental", in a horrible side of town, with nappy little girls in midtriff tops and where the nurses had tattoos on their necks, and with an office that had the dirtist floors I've ever seen outside of a movie theartre. I honestly did try to give it a chance, but I wasn't feeling the place at all, and my mom agreed whole heartedly. We left without seeing the dentist(I didn't waste anyone's time either, they actually forgot I had an appointment!). What kind of care do you expect from that sort of place? I wasn't going to find the help I need there.

So no dentist visit yet. Actually, this brings me to a question! My mom mentioned in passing on the way home that she'd heard of a place called a "dental spa" that's supposed to do all sorts of things to help you relax and pamper you while you're in the chair. Has anyone here ever heard of a place like that?

Of course, a dental spa is where you'll pay through the nose to get pampered, top line treatment, all the latest technology BUT YOU'LL PAY THROUGH THE NOSE.

so if you can get your hands on this kind of money, you will probably find a place (whether it's near where you live or not, I have no idea), but these places exist.

When you are rich, believe me, you can get the best care anywhere.

You think Donald Trump has to go to the place you just went where they floors were dirty and they forgot about you. I DON'T THINK SO!!!

But good guys do exist, believe me.

Just keep looking. You will find him (or her).

I did.

meody

Update!

Well I found my dentist! He was actually very understanding about my needle phobia, and assured me that I would be in control during the whole thing and he would never force me to do anything. He's very nice, and I have some time to get used to him, since he wants me in for a cleaning and then a whitening before I have the hard stuff done.

Turns out I have two cavaties, and a bigger one on one of my molars. But since the molar that's in trouble already has a big filling in it, he says he needs to put a crown on it. My dad has crowns, and the dentist explained it to me, so that's fine.

But about the needle thing, he says he would like me to take some valium(I hope I spelled that right) the night before. I don't really fancy the idea of being drugged up, 'cause I didn't like getting all giggly when I was under laughing gas. So... How many people here have taken valium? And what can I expect from it? All I got so far is "It'll make you happy." But is it like, relaxed? Or totally high and giggly? Can you still control yourself? Think clearly?

In a low dose (in my opinion) valium will just make you feel a bit 'yeah ok' taking it the night before means you won't fret and will get some sleep and in the morning instead of being high energy 'oh my god I'm going to the dentist' you'll just be 'ok' I don't thnk at least in low doses valium gives the giggles it's more relaxing all I can say is 'yeah ok' go on you'll be fine :)

Back