• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First time

P

powerwus

Hailing in from Ontario Canada, and facing down my first tooth extraction aside from my wisdom teeth. A little backstory:
18 years ago I had a root canal on upper right first molar. Everything fine until 11 years later, had to have re treatment done on tooth. Didn't get crown until a year ago when some tiny cracks were found on surface. Jump a year forward and I develop pain tooth when chewing. A few days later swelling, and then pussy bubble on gum which after breaking pain goes away. Get in to see Endodontist (who looks like he is fresh from high school, but me at almost 50, anyone younger than 30 looks like a teenager), who after a five minute examination declares tooth hopeless for further treatment, recommends extraction.
I suffer from severe anxiety disorder, body goes into panic mode, and much Doctor Googling ensues, heavy anxiety rolls in to point where I can barely drag myself into work. I have since age 30 been meticulous about Dental care after having periodontal flap surgery on four quadrants at 31 then some gum grafts a few years ago on lower left and right sides. Brush and floss daily and have cleanings done every three months (where I ride in the chair like it's an airplane going down, THAT nervous...)
Basic gist is I have somewhat severe gum recession/ bone loss going on around the molar in question and adjacent teeth, and even though I am resigned to losing the tooth I wonder what replacement options I have. Right now a denture seems like my only real bet. Extraction was originally scheduled for today March 20th but thanks to Covid-19 been bumped up until April 24th (a date I'm sure will be postponed again).
I've been ghosting here the past couple of weeks now and I have read stories that make mine look tame in comparison (somewhat comforting, somewhat terror inducing).
I've read that first molars are very important to mouth health. Doubt I am a candidate for implant and doubt I could afford it anyway. What to do?

Hi powerwus,

not a dentist and can't say anything about your options, but wanted to offer some mental support at least. You are going through a difficult situation and I see how much anxiety you're dealing with. Having the appointmentt postponed is not making it easier and I keep my fingers crossed for you to be able to have it done on 20th.
Everyone here has a different story but that doesn't mean any of them are worse than others. What you are going through and the anxiety of it is as real and it is ok to be scared. You are welcome to read, write, vent and ask for support here as much as you need.

Sending you hugs and hope one of our forum dentists replies to the dental part of your question soon

:grouphug:

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes my dental anxiety had been crippling for a number of weeks, exasperating my wife who doesn't understand why I am worked up over "one tooth". I know a lot of it is the fear of the unknown, fear of age decline, attractiveness you name it. Knowing doesn't make it any less scary though!
Again, thank you so much for your kind words!

Hi,
I am also not a dentist but wanted to extend a warm welcome to DFC! :grouphug: Speaking from personal experience, my mom had her first molar extracted awhile back and her two options were to either do an implant or a bridge (in the US with her particular insurance plan, they actually were going to cost about the same...not sure how things work in Canada). She ended up choosing to do a bridge which is permanent. Sorry to hear your anxiety has been so rough lately. Everyone here can absolutely relate to your fear so feel free to share and post as much as you need to. Often the waiting is the worst part so between the appointment being post-poned and the external stress with what is going on right now in the world, your level of anxiety is completely understandable.

powerwus,

Wanted to welcome you too and thank you for sharing your story and anxiety! You are in good company.. Its really hard to deal with the thought of extraction , especially to almost get to the point of facing it only to have to put it off! My prayers are with you April 24 comes around faster than you can imagine and maybe even things look up and you can get in sooner..

Anxiety at a low ebb right now with appointment postponed. I know as the date looms closer that will change. Covid-19 hasn't helped my situation as we have NO idea when Dental Services here in Ontario Canada will resume. Will it be April 24th? Will it be pushed ahead yet again?
Another factor in play is that the tooth currently doesn't HURT. It's great, but it also makes me question it's need for removal. When it was killing me a few months ago I think I was more receptive to it coming out (but still terrified) just so the pain would fuck off. Almost two months later with no pain well...
M main frustration is my teeth do not look BAD, save for gum and bone loss. I am very thorough with my cleaning routine and always make my 3 month appointments despite my fear. I know, sometimes teeth just go South, especially older root canaled ones. What looks good on the surface may have troubles underneath...
I wish a Dentist here would post with any comments regarding AFTER the extraction. What do I do NEXT?
I gotta say when the secretary said to me "Oh your extraction appointment" when I had to change the date I got a wave of anxiety in my gut. I think I mentioned my wife thinks this is no big deal, but it IS. This tooth is a part of me, has been for forty years, and that it is a first molar...I need to stay away from the horror stories online Dental sites throw at me. Most seem interested in just throwing out the implant option. Implants implants your BEST and ONLY choice should be implants! It's like going to a car dealer and they keep upselling the option you can't afford and you're likely not a candidate for anyway.
Ugh. I just needed to vent that stuff out. Covid-19 should be a bigger worry than my little molar, but somehow my mind won't go there.

" I think I mentioned my wife thinks this is no big deal, but it IS. This tooth is a part of me, has been for forty years, and that it is a first molar."

This is so true.. our teeth ARE a part of us.. and they help us function, they help in so many ways and to lose that part is real and hard.. Its truly normal to feel grief and go through a grieving process for this loss.. its not insignificant!

Although now I am a proponant for implants as I've seen how the one I have has helped and the ones I"m getting. that is a miracle and really they are really hard to afford.. its a significant sacrifice at that .. hoping there can be other options for you .. I know how so many dentists push this.

Well April is here and Covid-19 is in full swing still.Preparing myself for my appointment on April 24 to be pushed back, kinda hoping it will be, too, so I can enjoy some more time with tooth in my yap. I am not looking forward to the extraction at all, though my wisdom teeth came out relatively easy.
I guess it's the stories I hear from a co-worker who has had two first molars removed, going on about the large empty space that will be left. He does assure me the only real pain I will experience is when the Dentist explains the cost options of a replacement!
I also will only have the weekend to recover from the extraction, then it is back to work to a job that sometimes requires heavy lifting and certainly a LOT of walking around.
The fear is creeping in the back of my mind right now. The 24th is still a number of weeks out and still in danger of cancellation, so that probably explains that.
I know for some on here one tooth extraction is nothing, so I'm sorry if I am overdoing it with my anxiety.

powerwus,

"I know for some on here one tooth extraction is nothing, so I'm sorry if I am overdoing it with my anxiety. "

You are definately NOT overdoing it.. An extraction is losing a tooth and unknown procedure, that even if you did have one, you never had that tooth extracted with that dentist and its hard to think about. extractions usually are pretty quick and straightforward while in the chair, but still the thought, the fears , the anxieties, the healing, the questions... it all makes for an anxiety storm.. I can say even though I've had many myself, I get really anxious every single time before.

Glad you are writing about it and getting it out wtih us here and alot of us understand the anxiety of it. Also the anxiety of having to wait and think about it longer.. and in the middle of all this covid..

Glad you are here ! :grouphug:

So thanks to Covid-19 my appointment of April 24th for extraction has been bumped again now to June 12th. I can't say I am unhappy with this as it gives me that little more time with my tooth still in my head. As there hasn't been any pain in months this isn't a bad thing. I would like to think this next appointment will stick but with the unpredictability of this virus, you never know.

Back