• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fish bone stuck in gums fear of dentist

G

gradgirl

Dear Everyone,

I had a freak accident :( a tiny splinter like fishbone inserted itself into my gum not inbetween my teeth where floss could take it out but actually pierced me like a skinny splinter into my gum; it hurts now and I have no choice but to go see a dentist tomorrow afternoon. I am petrified that he will poke around and hurt me worse than I already hurt.

I also have a fear that it sounds like such an freak accident that he will not believe me :( it's seems so unbelievable it was just the perfect angle and it was so thin it just went all the way in there's no way that I can pull it out myself but I can definitely feel it :(

I have an irrational fear that the x rays wont even capture it as well :cry: because I don't know how x rays work and I am worried that it's too thin to be picked up on an x ray

i feel that my case is hopeless and that i will have this pain forever and ever

any words of encouragement to get me through the next few days until my appointment would be much appreciated. I will never eat fish with bones ever again after this experience.

is there any hope for me to have a normal life I am really upset and very concerned about the dentist not helping me even if I overcome my fear and go to see him tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome:to the forum.

I am so sorry I missed this thread before you had your appointment. I hope that by now you have had your problem solved and that your dentist was a nice and understanding one.

I don't know if it would have helped but sometimes when after an extraction people get bone shards working their way through the gums, an old piece of a pair of tights or stocking rubbed on the gum can help remove the tiny bits of bone that other wise couldn't be moved unless by a dentist. You rub the piece of nylon on the gums and it can somehow work the pieces of bone out.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Back