• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fizzy feeling in teeth/gums

M

MountainMama

This is a weird question, but I have googled and found nothing, my dentist has no idea, and my endodontist said she had never heard of this before.

I have one thing in common with each tooth that has had the nerve get irreversible pulpitis. At some point, usually at night when I am just getting settled, there is a fizzy feeling around the tooth. It is almost painful, not tingly, but like pop rocks candy (if you have ever had that). It feels like bubbles are coming up out of the gums around the tooth. In fact, if I put my tongue on the gums around the tooth, I can kind of feel popping, like carbon dioxide in a fizzy beverage.

The first time was with my upper left 2nd molar. It was after I had the temp crown put on, and the endodontist said it was probably saliva that got trapped under the crown and came out when I laid down. It felt way too fizzy to be that, but I went with it. It happened twice. The second time was with my lower 2nd molar on the opposite side. It did not have a crown, and it only happened one time, for about 5 minutes. The tooth had been aching, but had previously tested normal with endo ice (after a small filling). After the fizzy episode, it had lingering pain with endo ice the next week.

With my newly crown prepped tooth (that had a good nerve before the crown prep) it happened one time, a week ago. It had lingering pain with endo ice on Thursday, and will now be extracted Monday.

Any dentists heard of this before? It seems to be a common link with nerve issues for me. I know I am somewhat of an anomoly is the dental world, but surely there has to be some link, right? It only happens around/under the affected tooth.

I have a faint recollection of this being a symptom of some kind of vitamin/mineral deficiency, but I can't quite remember what, Google doesn't help either, sorry!
Further brain flogging suggests it might be Zinc :)

I have a faint recollection of this being a symptom of some kind of vitamin/mineral deficiency, but I can't quite remember what, Google doesn't help either, sorry!
Further brain flogging suggests it might be Zinc :)

Wow, thank you! I will try to add some zinc. I do take a multivitamin, but will try some extra zinc.

I have asked everyone and no one could give me an answer, so I appreciate any suggestions! It is worth a try.

This is probably no help, but tingly, burny sensations are part of my atypical facial pain. Sometimes my whole mouth feels like it has pins and needles, other times it feels like there is a fizzy sensation just in one spot - but that spot moves about from day to day just to keep it interesting! I had a checkup on Wednesday and all teeth are fine, gum scores 0 and 1, so nothing clinically wrong, just the nerves “mis-firing”.

This is probably no help, but tingly, burny sensations are part of my atypical facial pain. Sometimes my whole mouth feels like it has pins and needles, other times it feels like there is a fizzy sensation just in one spot - but that spot moves about from day to day just to keep it interesting! I had a checkup on Wednesday and all teeth are fine, gum scores 0 and 1, so nothing clinically wrong, just the nerves “mis-firing”.

I can't imagine having that sensation all the time! You have a lot to deal with!

Mine is specific to the tooth that is hurting at the time. It is almost painfully fizzy, like mini fireworks around the tooth.

I can't imagine having that sensation all the time! You have a lot to deal with!

Mine is specific to the tooth that is hurting at the time. It is almost painfully fizzy, like mini fireworks around the tooth.

This sounds mad, but although it’s horrid, I find it reassuring. If a tooth starts hurting, and the gum round it is fizzing, I know it’s “just” the neuralgia. My upper molars were really tender for a while, with no fizzing, so I knew something was up with the actual teeth. (Actually my stupid sinuses.)

This sounds mad, but although it’s horrid, I find it reassuring. If a tooth starts hurting, and the gum round it is fizzing, I know it’s “just” the neuralgia. My upper molars were really tender for a while, with no fizzing, so I knew something was up with the actual teeth. (Actually my stupid sinuses.)

I had wondered if mine was from the nerve being aggravated by the tooth nerve being "damaged". I am so confused overall about why my teeth keep getting irreversible pulpitis, especially when they are totally healthy to start with, like this one was. It was tested before prepping for a crown, and was fine, no lingering pain with endo ice, no aching. The tooth had no filling near the nerve, and no pain unless biting, which is normal with a crack. Prep for a crown, and suddenly the nerve is dying.

I get something that feels like that when my trigeminal nerve is acting up. Mine is lame - it hasn't decided which side it wants to live on. Right now its a migraine aura but it has acted up after dental work before as well.

I get something that feels like that when my trigeminal nerve is acting up. Mine is lame - it hasn't decided which side it wants to live on. Right now its a migraine aura but it has acted up after dental work before as well.

My previous dentist had suggested trigeminal neuralgia, based on that fizzy feeling, plus the pain along my nose, but I don't have a trigger. It is random.

That is what my dentist had suggested as well. I had huge issues at first - pain all over the place in my mouth and face. It was very strange. The weird thing about mine was that it wasn't over super quick like trigeminal neuralgia was, it was pretty persistent once it started. It would last for hours and then go away. My GP started me on medication for TN though, and sent me to a neurologist who decided it was actually migraine, which can be triggered by all sorts of things. The good thing is that meds i was taking for TN worked for the migraine, and stopped it. Now I can get dental work done without my nerve acting up, and if it starts to after the migraine rescue medication works to stop it.

That is what my dentist had suggested as well. I had huge issues at first - pain all over the place in my mouth and face. It was very strange. The weird thing about mine was that it wasn't over super quick like trigeminal neuralgia was, it was pretty persistent once it started. It would last for hours and then go away. My GP started me on medication for TN though, and sent me to a neurologist who decided it was actually migraine, which can be triggered by all sorts of things. The good thing is that meds i was taking for TN worked for the migraine, and stopped it. Now I can get dental work done without my nerve acting up, and if it starts to after the migraine rescue medication works to stop it.

I have that as well, where the pain is all over, not just on one side. I do not migraines though. I rarely even get headaches. Mine seems to jump from tooth to tooth and end up with the tooth getting extracted because it is diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis. Root canals don't work with me...I have had two molars extracted already and another one getting done tomorrow.

I have had this, too! My fear has always been that it’s an infection brewing and it’s happened around specific teeth that have had a lot of work (new filling, crown, post root canal). It comes and goes and always makes me nervous. The first time I mentioned it to my dentist, he thought it might be a neuralgia. I also get little “pops” in my teeth, in addition to the fizzy feeling. I’m similar in that I have no idea why suddenly all of my teeth seem to be getting irreversible pulpitis in the last two years. My symptoms are so weird and painful and I never know if it’s something really wrong or in fact a new nerve disorder, like trigeminal neuralgia. If you find an answer, please share!

What medication helped the TN/migraines?

I started with Gabapentin, then they switched me to topamax for better control. Topamax works well for me but can have some side effects in others.

I have had this, too! My fear has always been that it’s an infection brewing and it’s happened around specific teeth that have had a lot of work (new filling, crown, post root canal). It comes and goes and always makes me nervous. The first time I mentioned it to my dentist, he thought it might be a neuralgia. I also get little “pops” in my teeth, in addition to the fizzy feeling. I’m similar in that I have no idea why suddenly all of my teeth seem to be getting irreversible pulpitis in the last two years. My symptoms are so weird and painful and I never know if it’s something really wrong or in fact a new nerve disorder, like trigeminal neuralgia. If you find an answer, please share!

I thought I was the only one, since I couldn't find anything about it, and the dentist and endodontist had no idea. It is odd that both of us are having it while having unexplained irreversible pulpitis. I am going to try the zinc supplement, like Gordon suggested to see if it works.

I started with Gabapentin, then they switched me to topamax for better control. Topamax works well for me but can have some side effects in others.
I am new here but have had migraines my entire adult life. I take both the meds you mention plus others given by my neurologist. I am 1 month out from total extractions on top, have done as well as expected until this last week or so when the gums are starting to feel “funny” not painful just sort of numb and have had low grade headaches and a migraine the last two days. Have you found a coralation between the gum feelings and the migraine.

Wlker - I think everyone's migraine profile is different. For instance - I have classic migraine with aura - and the odd feelings in my gums/teeth/face are part of my migraine per my neurologist. I think he calls it part of my aura as they always precede the actual head pain. YMMV. He also said that my trigeminal nerve will get irritated from just being messed around with though, and if it starts giving me weird symptoms I'm supposed to take a break for a bit. I guess it can get excitable (for lack of a better word) due to the migraines.

I've finally found a dentist that understands and works with me and my neurologist - and is amazing. I've gone from needing full blown sedation to needing oral sedation and nitrous, to oral sedation only, to nitrous only, to nothing. I still get nervous but knowing that there was a reason for what I was going through and that I wasn't imagining it was a huge comfort to me.

ucdcrew,

Just wanted to say I love how you have progressed and that you got an answer and reason and really have come so far in all this!! This is so huge!! Thanks for sharing!

Back