• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flipper gets looser throughout the day

M

MountainMama

The flipper for my front tooth starts out fitting perfectly in the morning. By about two in the afrernoon it is loose, and moves around. The tooth itself actually moves up and down a little when I talk, because the palate plate is loose enough that it hangs down a bit, so it goes up and down, if that makes sense. There is a large gap between my palate and the flipper by afternoon.
Apparently my molars are shifting during the day. I know when I put my nightguard in at night, it fits super tight on the back molars.
Is there any way to fix this? Or do I just have to live with it? It makes me super self conscious when it is loose. I know the flipper tooth has to have a space between the tooth and gum, because of the bone graft and implant, so that can't fit snug. It is affecting my speech when it is loose. By dinner time, it is loose enough that I can move it around just by touching it with my tongue.

Maybe this is all normal, and I just have to deal?

It is normal for immediate dentures like you describe to move a wee bit. Have you tried using a little denture fixative?

Mike's suggestion generally helps and the other is to go to the dentist in the afternoon and have the doctor add a bit of acrylic to the edges so that it locks in better. I will say that some dentists are uncomfortable doing this.

It is normal for immediate dentures like you describe to move a wee bit. Have you tried using a little denture fixative?

I have not, but I will get some and try. Do I apply it on the palate plate?

yes not a lot

Mike's suggestion generally helps and the other is to go to the dentist in the afternoon and have the doctor add a bit of acrylic to the edges so that it locks in better. I will say that some dentists are uncomfortable doing this.

I didn't know that applying acrylic is even an option. I don't know if mine would do it or not, but I can ask.

some dentists aren't comfortable with lab type work

some dentists aren't comfortable with lab type work

Yep, mine said he couldn't do that when I called today. He said the only alternative would be to get a new one, which I cannot afford anyway. He also said it wouldn't help, because it is my teeth that are shifting throughout the day, and they would do that regardless of adding acrylic, so the back would get loose.
I tried a dab of polident yesterday, and it worked okay. It actually helped keep saliva from pooling in that gap betweeb the palate and the flipper also.

Back