• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flipper is hurting

R

Roze517

I know this might be too soon because i just had tooth #5 pulled 2 days ago. Its the tooth which is behind my eye tooth. My flipper feels like it's pushing my front teeth, and the tooth behind is a crown, and since it's connected to it, it feels like it's pulling thr crown down. I wear the flipper 6 hours and it feels like when i had braces, thr pressure moving my front teeth. And where it's connected in the back makes my bite off and that pressure hurts the bottom teeth and my jaw. I haven't eaten anything solid. Only soft things i don't need to chew. Great diet plan. My question is can i get a new flipper made without a new mold? I think they messed it up when they made it. Will it pull my crown off? There's no way i can wear this one for a year waiting for my implant.

I get my front upper tooth extracted next month. I got my flipper already, and my dentist told me I would probably need several adjustments once I start wearing it.

Call your dentist and ask for an adjustment to make it more comfortable. It may take a few adjustments before it feels okay. That is what I was told. I am not looking forward to mine.

Hi Roze517, this sounds really frustrating, however remember that the way your flipper fits right now is not the way it will fit all the time. As your extraction has been two days ago, you are at a stage where your gums are changing every day due to swelling and healing. As MountainMama suggested, having your dentist take a look and see what they can change might be a good idea.

To your question - if your practice kept your old impressions, they might be able to use it again for the new flipper. However there would be little sense to it as they have been done while your old tooth was in and therefore can‘t display the situation in your mouth as accurately as new impression would. But anyway, it really is not unusual for flippers not to fit straight away so few adjustments might do the job.

Thanks For taking the time to respond. I will keep you updated

just get it adjusted

Thank you, I went yesterday and they did a little adjusting but still really hurting my other teeth. Pushing hard against my front teeth and gripping my back crown. Feels like when I had braces on! I couldn't wait to get home to take it out. I am so worried to go out toothless! I do have stiches in, could that have anything to do with it? When its out I feel fine.

Is there any other solution i can di besides the flipper. It's really hurting and pushing my front teeth

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190830-180605_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190830-180605_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
It can take awhile to get used to a flipper and you may need to get multiple adjustments while your mouth heals. The post below has many comments similar to yours and what people did to manage.

Hi there, it's a big thing to get used to but you will and fairly quickly. I had an extraction in March and now have a flipper. I really struggled the first few weeks, mostly getting used to the idea, but also whether it was sitting right, how to eat, or not, cleaning it, putting it in and hot, the feeling of the acrylic, the taste of it, some nausea etc. All sounds negative and it felt quite challenging but all this was normal and in reality it fitted well and looks good.

It's true that things will continue to heal around the extraction, other teeth may move slightly and overall the flipper might not fit eventually. As others have said, go back for adjustments if you feel it is too tight or loose but also give yourself some time to get used to it. I didn't wear mine for that long in the first couple of weeks and couldnt wait to take it out. It did feel tight, then a bit looser and now it's ok. So I am sure things will settle and sending you calm thoughts while you heal and adjust to your new situation. if there continues to be a problem there will be a solution and your dentist will hopefully help find it.

Thanks, I really hope it will get better. I had lipstick on my other teeth and went to rub it off and even that hurt. My nose runs when it's in and using Kleenex on my nose hurts. I will put it back in when i get up in the morning and hope it gets better. Another dentist appt on Tues!

Back