• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flipper tooth smaller than my own teeth

F

Frances555

Hi , I broke my front tooth #10 and finally got the bone graft and the new flipper . The dentist got it fitting great after two visits she adjusted it for a long time and it feels great . I looked in mirror when I got home and the front tooth is way to small. It had looked fine when it wasn’t fitting properly. I have another visit with the dentist in a day . how can I tell her I don’t like it it’s too small and jutting out at gum base .i just paid everything yesterday. Thank you.

Hi Frances555,

sorry you haven't gotten any reply soon. If I got you right, you probably already have talked to your dentist.. I understand the worry of voicing dissatisfaction about the flipper, however it is a front tooth and you payed for it so of course you wish it to look natural and like the other teeth. It sounds like the tooth is visibly small so your dentist will probably see it too so it's ok to ask about this (and believe me, dentists are used to patients complaining about much more subtle things than a visibly smaller tooth on a flipper). If you do not feel comfortable saying "I do not like it", you could try it with "I noticed that the tooth looks much smaller now, could we do anything about it?" or something like that.
Again, I think your dentist will see it and acknowledge it and it's ok to ask.

All the best wishes and let us know how the visit went

Hi,

The flipper’s purpose is esthetic and if it does not serve its goal, then it is worth mentioning it. You should know that fixing it might take a few hours in which you have no flipper.
Did you ask also friends and family (or anyone who will give you an honest opinion) whether it looks unnatural? Please remember that others see your teeth differently than looking in the bathroom mirror.

Hi,
Did you try looking in a different angle or location? I noticed that if I look at my teeth at work and at home things look differently due to the lighting being different.

I guess you already saw the dentist, how did things go?

Frances555,

I so get the feeling of not being sure how to tell them you don't like or aren't comfortable with something done.. I had crown done and the more I looked at it it seemed a bit off color. and it was bothereing me.. I agonized over how do I tell my nice kind dentist who really worked so hard on this I really don't like the color.. Well.. I did it this way.. I asked him nicely... What do you think of the crowns color? Do you think it might look a little off? just very kindly , well he looked and said, yes, you know it is a little off that I see it again,, and we can fix that.. I can make you another tooth with the right color no problem. He didn't even skip a beat or didn't cause any hurt feelings or anything.. So maybe phrase it .. possibly. asking them if they think it looks esthestically ok..or maybe just a bit jutted out and smaller than rest of your teeth.

I hope that they can take care of this for you in a kind and understanding way.

Back