• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flying after fillings

K

klol

After many months (since May!) my dental stuff has finally all been settled, my TMJD is simmering, and life is feeling good again. I just had my 6 month check up and was told there was hardly any plaque to clean and no fillings necessary, xrays looked alright.
Then I somehow stumbled across a show and a lady was complaining because the flight made her tooth start hurting terribly.

Now my anxiety is through the roof because I have a fun trip coming up next month. Now I can’t stop thinking that all of my dental work will leave me in pain on the flights. I flew this past March and had no issues, but that was before any of my pain I’ve been having since May started (basically a filling needed replaced and the first dentist messed up, TMD developed, my anxiety found my teeth to manifest through) I’ve had 10+ fillings in my life, a few on the molars quite large. I have a couple crowns. Logically I think I’ll be alright but now I’m worried that I could have air pockets in my fillings and be in dreadful pain when I’m supposed to be having fun. What are the odds of air pockets in fillings and is it something my dentist would find during my exam/xrays I just had?

Then I somehow stumbled across a show and a lady was complaining because the flight made her tooth start hurting terribly.

If there were air pockets in your fillings, you would be in pain anyway. The vast majority of people (me included) have a full mouth of dental work. If this would cause pain then just a very few people could fly. Of course getting tooth ache when it is inconvenient can always happen, but flights do not cause teeth to hurt.

We recently have had few members worrying about flying with dental issues. Here are two posts that might help you to put your mind at ease:

If healthy (fillings) no problems

Thank you both! I was hoping that was the answer, as my dentist said that my teeth are currently looking very healthy (even with all the fillings and crowns) and my oral care is great. Hopefully there’ll be no issues because I love travelling and would hate for my teeth to impact yet another area of my life so greatly.

Back